Marathon Weekend 2025

I use an 18oz Nathan handheld at Disney. I wore a vest for my first marathon (local) and appreciated it since I was running for time, and it was easier for me to drink enough water that way (and some water stops were 1.5 to 2 miles apart). At WDW, I'm going slower and don't mind walking thru stops (though I did run thru them this year). Every few miles I'd grab two cups and top off my handheld. The pouch is just big enough for me to put my gels and electrolyte packets. I would just get too hot in a vest in FL. Water stops are very plentiful at WDW. I like having the handheld since I sip rather than drink a cup worth at a time.

Re: Hydration and Fueling

I’ll echo what others have, primarily, said: I find there are more than adequate hydration stops along all the Marathon Weekend courses but believe that fueling is best taken into your own hands.

I don’t blame rD for the relative lack of fueling options. I think people are far more individualized about fuel than they are hydration whether it’s amount desired, form, taste, ingredient focus, gastrointestinal effects, etc. There are a lot of variables that make providing fuel for such a massive group a bit of a fool’s errand.

And even though I said there’s more than enough opportunity for hydration, everyone has to run their own race. If carrying hydration is something that will benefit either your mental or physical state for the race, go for it.

Speaking up for the back of the packers: sometimes, especially on very hot days, WDW runs out of water at water stations. Or Powerade. And/or fuel. It’s not often, but I’ve seen it happen. Proceed accordingly for your needs

I’m a sipper: I want to sip an ounce or two every 1/2 mile, which definitely does not align with water table spacing. So I always carry a 12oz handheld bottle that I can refill at hydration stations as needed. And I always carry my own fuel.

Speaking up for the back of the packers: sometimes, especially on very hot days, WDW runs out of water at water stations. Or Powerade. And/or fuel. It’s not often, but I’ve seen it happen. Proceed accordingly for your needs

I’m a sipper: I want to sip an ounce or two every 1/2 mile, which definitely does not align with water table spacing. So I always carry a 12oz handheld bottle that I can refill at hydration stations as needed. And I always carry my own fuel.
I was just coming to say this. I was surprised to see them already breaking down some of the water station tables near AK on the course this year (where there were still around 10mi to go, and runners would be coming through for another 45ish minutes.) From the looks of things, they were going to be very close on having enough water and it wasn't even hot out!

I'm surprised to hear that MK is the most popular! (Okay, not THAT surprised). I was purely thinking of the eating and drinking aspect of post-race, which Epcot would be the clear winner for.
Do you know how you feel after marathons usually? I have tried Epcot two years on the day of the marathon and feel nauseous as I'm eating and cannot finish the yummy things I want to eat/drink. I think Monday is the best day because you may feel better. Just my input!

Fueling question for marathon…do you wear a hydration vest and carry your fuel or do you use something else? Do you rely on water stops? Wondering with costumes best way to handle. Plus I’m getting ready for my 3rd marathon and I’m wanting to ditch the hydration pack and carry my gels in pockets and maybe use their water stops.

I wouldn't carry any hydration for a race with adequate water stops. It just seems like unnecessary weight to me. Fuel I would carry and I'd also do at least one long run carrying what you plan to carry on race day to ensure it sits correctly in pockets or packs. When I switched to UCAN for longer races I needed to make sure I could carry the bigger pouch size and selected shorts accordingly.

Good morning RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). It's time to start building our brackets for March Magical Madness. In the interest of time we'll need to do two parks per week, so this week we'll fill out the Kingdom Bracket with our favorites from the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. What are your top four favorite attractions in each park? Please list them in order and no ties, please.

SAFD:
Magic Kingdom is, by far, my favorite park and, as such, this will be the toughest choice for me. Haunted Mansion is my "must do" attraction every visit, so it's an easy number one. As I've aged, so has my appreciation for dad jokes, leading to Jungle Cruise edging out Jack Sparrow and his Pirates of the Caribbean. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh will round out the top four, as it brings back so many memories of watching the movie with my little girls as they grew up.
  1. Haunted Mansion
  2. Jungle Cruise
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean
  4. Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Animal Kingdom is a little easier for me to rank. Kilimanjaro Safaris is an easy winner here. Such a great experience with the bonus of being a little different each time. Flights of Wonder comes in second. The birds are always beautiful and entertaining. Next up is the Maharajah Jungle Trek because, well, tigers! I'll let Na'vi River Journey round things out. I'm not much of an Avatar fan, but it's such a nice, cool visual experience on a hot park day.
  1. Kilimanjaro Safaris
  2. Flights of Wonder
  3. Maharajah Jungle Trek
  4. Na'vi River Journey

MK:
1) Haunted Mansion
2) Tron
3) BTMRR
4) Pirates of the Caribbean

AK:
1) Kilimanjaro Safari
2) Everest
3) Flight of Passage
4) Festival of the Lion King

ETA: If Splash/Tiana is an option, it would be number 3 at MK and push down the others.

SAFD:

Magic Kingdom

1. Splash Mountain/Tiana’s Bayou Adventure-it may not get another vote since it’s in limbo right now, but it will always be my favorite. If it gets in I will vote for it over anything.
2. Under the Sea-Journey of the Little Mermaid-While I am primarily a thrill ride seeker, I have a very soft spot for omnimover/boat rides that have good music and normally little to no wait (as my future Epcot # 1 will attest).
3. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad-It’s the wildest ride in the wilderness
4. Haunted Mansion-So many classics left, but it’s not a trip to MK without visiting the 999 Happy Haunts.

Animal Kingdom

1. Flight of Passage-I love what it represents on a technical level for Disney. Developing new tech and combining it with older tech to create a completely new experience rather than being a copy of something that worked elsewhere.
2. Kilimanjaro Safari-I love animals and somehow every single time I feel like I got the best ride of the day.
3. Expedition Everest-Still holds up. Awesome every time.
4. Maharajah Jungle Trek-Tigers are cool.

SAFD

MK -- this is hard as I love just about everything. But these are must-dos.
1. Haunted Mansion
2. Jungle Cruise
3. BTMRR
4. People Mover

AK -- easier, since I love animals and can't stand Pandora :p
1. Kilimanjaro Safari
2. Expedition Everest
3. Maharaja Jungle Trek
4. Flights of Wonder

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter