Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD: I like to participate in general. Something call March Madness is tempting, if it’s not too much work for @camaker

1- MK: If it was not there, with the castle, the parades, the fireworks, the haunted mansion, etc, it would not be WDW for me.
2- EPCOT: Such good memories, easy to enjoy at any speed, beautiful with the lake and the monorail, enough interesting rides and the world showcase.
3-4- HS or AK, it depends: Both transport you to another planet (Batuu or Pandora), both have good QS options, both have other nicely themed areas and some less interesting ones, both have good shows. Prior to the last trip, I would have answered HS because it is also opened at night, but HS was a hot crowded mess of non functioning rides. By contrast, our day in AK was rainy and so peaceful. We were able to enjoy the trails, the shows and all the rides we wanted in a few hours. I am looking forward to go back to both, with a park hopper this time so we have the flexibility to change if things are not working out at a given place.

SAFD:
1) Epcot - it has the best food and beverages, as well as the most live entertainment options. There aren't a ton of attractions but the ones they have are solid. WS is a unique experience, and the rotating festivals are wonderful (F&G is my favorite)
2) AK - yes it needs more rides, but it's a beautiful park, and I enjoy just walking through the animal habitats. Food options are good, and the shows are fantastic (Lion King and the Bird show). Also the animation experience is a fun respite, especially on a hot day.
3) MK - it's the OG park, and a trip to WDW isn't complete without a visit, but the crowds are a big turn off.
4) DHS - this has become a half day park for me. I will rope drop, go do Rise and the Falcon, then go hit TSM, then RnR (if it's working, which is rare these days), and then maybe MMRR and then I'm done. The live entertainment options are great but they have been there for so many years, its time for something new. Food is mid. Bonus that it's super easy to get the heck out of there on the Skyliner and go to Epcot!!

And you can't even walk around the park with a beer, which for me would make the crowds more tolerable.
YES
HS was a hot crowded mess of non functioning rides
Exactly - it really seems like Disney has really cut back on basic maintenance on their attractions.

And I would be in for the March madness thing!

SAFD:

My personal opinion as a non-local who does one big trip (8-10 days long) per year

1- AK: I love it because of Everest and the overall theming. I love getting lost in Africa, walking around taking pictures of all the details the Imagineers put into the park. DS and I are collectioners, so we make it a challenge every trip to do each WE badge.

2- MK: Quintessential Disney. As flav wrote, if I couldn't see the castle at least once, it wouldn't feel like a Disney trip. It has so many rides that you can easily spend more than one day there and not do any repeats. Which makes the G+ system actually work here.

3- Epcot: Its most redeeming quality is Guardians. As a non-local, I'm not into festivals and drinking around the world. This park has too few rides to make it more than a 3-hour park. Actually the only other main draw for my family at Epcot is the DuckTales phone game :laughing: DS would play that over and over if we let him.

4- HS: Some great lands, and SDD is my kids' favorite ride. But again as flav wrote: "a hot crowded mess of non functioning rides", not to mention it's complicated to walk around. I never understood how MK was designed to be very smart crowd-management wise, with the whole hub and spoke concept, while HS seems to have tacked on land after land haphazardly.

SAFD: I haven't read anyone else's yet as I didn't want to be swayed, but I definitely have a love/hate relationship with this question. It feels like ranking my favorite children or something. There are so many possible things I could rank it on, but I'm going with nostalgia/gives me happy vibes. We haven't been since Dec 2021 & I know a lot of things have changed since then, so ranking it on those past experiences seems better for now.

1) Epcot. My husband and I honeymooned at WDW and stayed at BWV so we have great memories of eating/drinking around the world. Just walking around world showcase in the evening is one of my favorite things to do. Plus Illuminations, may it RIP.
2) Animal Kingdom: Great memories of wandering around and discovering all of the animals. Good & unique food options, too. Plus the drinks at the Nomad Lounge are on point :)
3) MK: Gotta love the classic rides like Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain Railroad, etc. I miss Wishes and the older fireworks shows (the projector-based shows just don't do it for me), though.
4) HS: While TOT is my favorite ride and Galaxy's Edge is truly amazing, it feels the least cohesive of all of the parks. It feels like it keeps on changing its identity (it literally changes its icon every few years) so that makes it harder to see as a collective.

I love the straw poll idea- I vote yes!

SAFD:
1. Epcot - I love the festivals and even when there’s not a festival, I could hang out in world showcase all day. I just find it so relaxing.
2. Animal Kingdom - again, really just the vibes. I love to wander the trails and watch the animals.
3. Magic Kingdom - I don’t spend much time here and have found in recent years I enjoy the parties more than a normal day for the lower crowds. I think other than the Monday after marathon, I haven’t gone to MK in the past two years unless for a party.
4. HS - I never go to this park. I don’t like thrill rides, could take or leave galaxys edge and find it overall too busy/crowded. With park hopping restrictions lifted, I did make a reservation for during springtime surprise to rope drop and give it another try.

Not a local, but I do have an AP and usually make it 4-5 times a year so that may skew my view. I’m definitely willing to take things much slower.

SAFD (future):

The March Madness endeavor seems like a good idea to me (although, despite being fully understanding and supportive of why it is no longer active, Splash Mountain was/is/will always be my favorite attraction;so I’ll need clarity on whether votes for retired and/or confirmed future attractions will be allowed).

SAFD:

1. MK-I’ll caveat that this recognizes my last 4 visits to MK have been either lightly attended MNSSHP or After Hours events and I share some of the same concerns about crowds during day trips. There are enough high volume attractions to eat crowds, it is well designed, HEA Fireworks dwarf the other parks for nighttime entertainment, the sights and sounds are quintessential Disney.

2. Epcot-Easily my favorite day park. Can go with the flow, great places to eat, different festivals provide different experiences, least stressful attractions park. Guardians was a massive home run addition in my book.

3. AK-Flight of Passage is my favorite currently active ride. Safari and Everest are great attractions as well. Love the trails. Satu’li is my favorite quick service in any park and Tusker House is my favorite character meal. There is a ton of potential for AK to climb in my personal rankings if they can generate a few more interesting attractions in the possible Dinoland USA re-imagining.

(Massive chasm)

4. Hollywood Studios-It is a distant, distant 4th for me. I was a little surprised to see so many shared this opinion but I’ll probably go in on it a little harder than others have (although there have been some harsh words already). It’s very odd because I like a lot of the parts: GE was a little underwhelming, but is still undeniably cool; Toy Story World is really nice; ToT, RnRC, and Runaway Railway are good attractions; I still ride for Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I feel like I’ve named 90% of the park and yet I never have a good time at HS.

The thing I like least is the lack of cohesion. It doesn’t feel planned, it doesn’t feel Disney. The vast majority of the rides are very low capacity and have very high malfunction rates. Even if they weren’t going down all the time the rides would still have issues accommodating the daily crowds. The last 3 times I’ve been to HS Rise, RnRC, and ToT have all been shut down for at least an hour out of the day. Makes it nearly impossible to plan a day and have things go efficiently.
IMG_7221.jpeg

Anyway, I’d still gladly spend a day or do an After Hours at DHS; but it is an incredibly frustrating mish mash of cool ideas with no cohesion and no consderation of crowd flow.

SAFD:

Just copy/paste this whole answer (even the 8-10 day annual trip)

My personal opinion as a non-local who does one big trip (8-10 days long) per year

1- AK
2- MK
3- Epcot
4- HS

Animal Kingdom is the last piece of what WDW used to be - putting both the "theme" and "park" in "theme park" in a way that none of the others still retain. It's not just a collection of rides (MK clearly wins by that metric); it's a unified experience. Wilderness Explorers, Maharaja Jungle Trek, Rafiki's Planet Watch... it's just a world apart.

As Epcot and DHS morph into Universal-style random collections of IP, and MK is a deeply beloved madhouse of crowds, DAK is the one place where you can really relax and take your time, and in which every single aspect of the experience is designed around its cohesive themes (conservation, adventure, man's relationship with nature).

I love all four parks, but there's something really special about DAK.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

SAFD:
1) Epcot - it has the best food and beverages, as well as the most live entertainment options. There aren't a ton of attractions but the ones they have are solid. WS is a unique experience, and the rotating festivals are wonderful (F&G is my favorite)
2) AK - yes it needs more rides, but it's a beautiful park, and I enjoy just walking through the animal habitats. Food options are good, and the shows are fantastic (Lion King and the Bird show). Also the animation experience is a fun respite, especially on a hot day.
3) MK - it's the OG park, and a trip to WDW isn't complete without a visit, but the crowds are a big turn off.
4) DHS - this has become a half day park for me. I will rope drop, go do Rise and the Falcon, then go hit TSM, then RnR (if it's working, which is rare these days), and then maybe MMRR and then I'm done. The live entertainment options are great but they have been there for so many years, its time for something new. Food is mid. Bonus that it's super easy to get the heck out of there on the Skyliner and go to Epcot!!

YES

Exactly - it really seems like Disney has really cut back on basic maintenance on their attractions.

And I would be in for the March madness thing!
Yes we need new live entertainment. I was there with my cousin last year for Princess and we're going again this year and her younger sister is joining us. I would've preferred to do a different park because we did almost everything last year except Rise. That one kept going down and we hada dining reservation to get to.

SAFD:
1. MK - I can’t imagine a trip to Disney without thinking of MK. I love walking down Main St, the classic rides, the fireworks! 🥰 It’s a feeling!
2. AK - I love the laid back feel here. The theming is gorgeous, it rarely feels crowded, and the Safari is amazing. Also love AKL!
3. DHS - This was a tough choice, but I do love the old Hollywood theming, and Toy Story holds a special place in my heart, since my 3 boys grew up on it! Now those boys love Star Wars, so… 😂.
4. Ep - I enjoy the world showcase. Journey to Imagination is a family fave, but it just doesn’t have the magic of MK/AK for me. I will say the EP fireworks are always amazing!

Straw poll: I’m game!!

SAFD:

1) MK. It's the classic, it's what Walt wanted in a theme park. Of course, things have changed in the 51 years since it opened, but make that turn from the flagpole to Main Street, I still get choked up seeing the castle
2) Epcot. It's not Walt's Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, but it's still fun. I feel like Guardians is a fun ride, but makes the park lose a bit of its focus. Moana is just a little walk through, though I think my granddaughter would love it. It's more of what Epcot should be. And I love World Showcase.
3) DHS. It's lost its focus from the days of it being MGM, but GE is absolutely gorgeous, and there are some very fun rides there. But it seems that it's just a "we don't know where to put this" park. The walk from Toy Story to Galaxy's Edge just makes no sense to me at all. I love Rise, but with so many moving parts, it's now showing how easily it can break down.
4) AK. I hate to say it. I know the stigma it gets is that it's an "overglorified zoo," and I feel the same way about it. EE is fun, but the Yeti has been broken for years, and even the pandemic wasn't enough to get someone up there to fix it. Flight is great, but the screens are getting some major league burn in. Dinoland needs a major redo.

SAFD:

1) EPCOT- as a nerdy kid, nothing I loved more than going to see the movies and shows in the WS, watching tapestry of Nations, and riding Body wars as much as humanly possible (also, Cranium Command). Also love Living with the Land. It was cool and educational and almost sciency.
Throw in captain IO and back when Figment was great, the leaping water fountains....first place by a mile.

2) Animal Kingdom. LOVE the safari, the Jungle Trek, Everest, Dinosaur, etc.. Pandora...can take it or leave it. haven't seen the movie. neat ride, but no real connection there. Also, bonus points for having a bar open to grab a beer during the marathon.

3) MK- Love HM and Pirates, as well as fried fish at CHH (although a place over near Peter Pan has brats that haven't been too shabby)Plenty of memories there, but doesn't quite hit home for me like the others. Always skipped fireworks here for Illuminations, too.

4) HS- it's a neat park. RnRollercoaster, really loved the Studio Movie Ride. TSM is neat, GE doesn't quite do it for me. Not a BAD park, but half day, at best.

Not easy but…
1. HS (RnRC, Tower, Rise, Smugglers, TS, Slinky, Star Tours, Lightsabers, Etc)
2. Epcot (Food, Drinks, Soarin, Guardians, Space, TT, Ratatouille, etc)
3. AK (EE, Safari, K Rapids, Animal hospital, Avatar, great food and a nature walk)
4. MK (Love Main Street, Tron and Snow White but that place is too busy)

SAFD: I will fully admit I am swayed by rides still despite my age. With that in mind...

1) MK: For all the reasons others have stated. It is quintessential Disney and still gives me the Disney-bubble feeling more than any of the other parks.

2) HS: Yes it is not what it once was, but since the additions, it has more rides that I want to go on than any other park. Seeing Millennium Falcon still puts a huge smile on my face every time; think ToT has the best theming of any ride que; Rock 'n Rollercoaster is fun, etc. So it gains second based on the rides.

3) AK: Here's where theming wins for me. I love the atmosphere while walking around, which is good because I don't find a lot to do here. But the animals and atmosphere are enough to rank it here for me.

4) Epcot: Seems like I am in the minority here, but I have to list Epcot last, although I do enjoy it and agree it is getting better as the walls are coming down. My biggest issue is the pure size of the park. If I was just wandering through World Showcase it would probably rank higher, but if I am trying to do rides and wander through World Showcase, then I feel like I have to have a very detailed plan of what to hit and in what order to avoid walking FOREVER. And I'm not smart enough to have a detailed plan so find myself with a 10+ minute hike at all times.

Straw poll - Sounds like a lot of fun but understand it would be a lot of work too.

SAFD!

Epcot
AK
MK
DHS

Epcot for the food, rides, attractions - especially love it at night!!

AK - love the scenery, animals, and food!

MK - classic and feels like it should be higher, but it’s crowded and the food options don’t wow us.

DHS - just has never spoken to me, and even more so with the additional of Star Wars.

Straw poll: Sure!!

SAFD: Not a local, but long time DVC that goes frequently, so some of my opinions are probably similar.

1. EPCOT - For me, a Disney trip is primarily a vacation to relax, enjoy nice weather, eat good food and hang out. All of which EPCOT is the most conducive park to accomplish. Plus, it has my current favorite ride at DW, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. I do miss when the festivals used to be full-fledged events with activities, but still enjoy the park for what it is.

2. AK - Lots of great food options (Satu'li canteen and Nomad lounge are particular favorites), Expedition Everest is my 2nd favorite Disney rollercoaster, and I really enjoy wandering around and visiting the animals.

3. MK - Only really go if I have access to an after-hours/extended hours event, but I enjoy it when there aren't huge lines for rides. Usually, can only spend a couple of hours in the park during normal times before decamping to one of the surrounding resorts for a nice meal and a break from the crowds.

4. HS - I really like Tower of Terror, and there are other good individual rides, but the lines are too long and it's too crowded for my tastes. The Brown Derby has decent food, but otherwise it's always a better option to walk over to Epcot for lunch. (Once every 5 years I like to go to the Sci-Fi cafe. Not for the food, which has somehow remained consistently awful for the last 30 years, but to watch the advertisements and cartoons. I find it hilarious how all the futuristic technology ads from the '50s now have a modern, commercially available product counterpart.)

Straw Poll: Sure, sounds like fun!

I’m interested in knowing how much local vs. non-local influences opinions… I didn’t think about it until @nancipants mentioned it, but I’m a semi-local, too, and MK is very much a BT/DT, don’t need to visit more than a couple times a year now park to me. I mostly only ever end up there if friends from out of town are there and I want to see them.

ETA: I also think my opinion on MK is influenced greatly by the reservation and hopping restrictions of the past couple years. I may enjoy it more now that I can hop in and out at any time because MK has never been more than a 2-3 hours at a time, tops, park for me.
I think others have said it as well, I dont think as much a local/non local thing as much as a BT/DT thing. We are 1200 miles away but are fortunate enough to visit several times a year with DVC and AP. MK has gone from the top of the list to the bottom with the overcrowded, everything is a mad rush, rude people, lack of magic throughout the park.

SAFD
AK still a completely immersive theme park throughout with some fun rides and so much to do. Can relax or go hard for a couple hours or all day.

EP this changes place with HS depending on the hour of the day for me but since walls have started coming down, guardians is epic, the barges are gone, and Soarin’ is once again over California I’ll put it at #2

HS always enjoyed it for a lot of quick fun, TOT is a favorite, it’s small and easy to get around, it just seems like a different atmosphere than the others

MK the original but not what it used to be. I may be biased here because I started going when my DD was 4, now she’s away at college, I saw the magic through her eyes and it was amazing. Even without that though it just seems like those little magic moments are gone because there are just too many people arguing, pushing, yelling at spoiled kids. We usually head there for a couple quick rides if possible, poke in the stores and leave, the last trip we even skipped our TRON boarding group the crowds were so intense, it just wasn’t worth it on the best pool day of the week.

@camaker straw poll sounds fun, thanks for taking the time

SAFD: I will fully admit I am swayed by rides still despite my age.
🤣🤣🤣
Before I retired, years ago, my high school students used to ask me, “What do YOU do at Disney World?” My answer was always, “Ride Rick ‘n’ Roller Coaster, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, of course!” Now I’d add Guardians and Tron to the list!

Jan. Miles: 102.3 - I over did it (at my age)

SAFD: order varies depending on mood
Epcot (relaxed)
MK (classic Disney, many rides)
HS (rides)
AK (animals)

Yes to straw poll!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter