Marathon Weekend 2025

I was signed up for the marathon this year, but a few things have conspired against me, forcing me to cancel the trip this week.

That said, I'm returning with a vengeance in 2025 for Goofy. Should be an anniversary year. and will be 15 years since my first Goofy (Disney on Ice in 2010). Weather looks nice this year, so I expect abject misery next year. Looking forward to it!
Disney on Ice was my first Goofy too! What a crazy fun weekend that was.

I’m jumping on this thread in the hopes that 2025 will be the year I can make it to my first RunDisney event. I’ll be turning 40 this year and hope that I can get signed up for the Dopey. I don’t make it to Disney but once every 5 years or so but I figured if I’m going to make a trip for a race might as well go all out. Especially if I’m not able to get back for a while. Of course, I’ve got to get the family down for this trip first. They think I’m crazy. 🤪😂

I have some ideas of where I would like to stay on property. Love AoA suites so looking at that one. Pop is another choice for price but I like the extra bed and bathroom since I have 2 teens(b&g). Are you still able to book room only reservations this far out or do I have to wait?

Also, never doing RunDisney before and only coming to the parks every few years, it’s hard not to want to plan a weeklong trip where I don’t visit the parks. Especially if I’m bringing my family. I figure if I’m planning on Dopey I’m going to need to rest. Any suggestions of things to do other than parks? I was thinking I could visit a park on 5k day and then maybe Sunday or Monday following marathon.

Thanks for reading my booklet!
Would love to hear y’all’s thoughts!

Are you still able to book room only reservations this far out or do I have to wait?

"Late spring" seems to be the answer, and even at that you generally can't book that far out online. But it doesn't hurt to call and check (other than the pain of waiting on the phone). You would pay deposit based on current hotel pricing, but if prices increase you will be on the hook for the difference.

Last edited:
I’m jumping on this thread in the hopes that 2025 will be the year I can make it to my first RunDisney event. I’ll be turning 40 this year and hope that I can get signed up for the Dopey. I don’t make it to Disney but once every 5 years or so but I figured if I’m going to make a trip for a race might as well go all out. Especially if I’m not able to get back for a while. Of course, I’ve got to get the family down for this trip first. They think I’m crazy. 🤪😂

I have some ideas of where I would like to stay on property. Love AoA suites so looking at that one. Pop is another choice for price but I like the extra bed and bathroom since I have 2 teens(b&g). Are you still able to book room only reservations this far out or do I have to wait?

Also, never doing RunDisney before and only coming to the parks every few years, it’s hard not to want to plan a weeklong trip where I don’t visit the parks. Especially if I’m bringing my family. I figure if I’m planning on Dopey I’m going to need to rest. Any suggestions of things to do other than parks? I was thinking I could visit a park on 5k day and then maybe Sunday or Monday following marathon.

Thanks for reading my booklet!
Would love to hear y’all’s thoughts!
I do parks before, during, and after race weekends. I arrive the day before expo day and do whatever amount of park time I have available. Next day, do the expo right away in the morning, then do park time. 5K day, I do a shortened park day to allow for an early bedtime, 10K day, I do a park in the morning, then hit up the Dis meetup in the afternoon and head back to the resort. Half day (which is the longest race I’ve run to date) I have a big lunch after the race and stay in the parks until fireworks. Walking is a great form of active recovery, but standing in line is awful, so I usually spring for Genie+ to skip as much line-standing as possible, or focus on Epcot or Animal Kingdom on the mid-weekend days so I can just walk around and enjoy the atmosphere instead of rides.

AoA is probably a good choice for your family—2 bathrooms would be important for that many people

Gosh, I hope I can make it to 2025 Marathon Weekend!

I didn't do this year because of the dates (too crazy with schools still on holiday break), but 2024 is the first weekend I've missed (not counting cancelled/virtual 2021) since 2018!

I'd just do the marathon - Dopey was too hard, especially since I got sick - or Goofy if I can convince my brother to do the half.

"Late spring" seems to be the answer, and even at that you generally can't book that far out online. But it doesn't hurt to call and check (other than the pain of waiting on the phone). You would pay deposit based on current hotel pricing, but if prices increase you will be on the hook for the difference.

FYI, Disney tinkered with the way they used to do hotel bookings after the Covid closure and subsequent extended reopening - you used to be able to call and book a room only reservation on a rolling 499 days out basis but these days Disney makes everyone wait until they release following year rates. This year you could book 2024 dates on 5/31/2023 (which they announced 5/8/2023). I think the year prior it was June if I’m not mistaken.

Hope that helps.

I am going to run the 1/2 Marathon next year.

I haven't run a race since I ran the Goofy in 2013. I used to be part of the old W.I.S.H. team. I am now 57 years old and getting back to running consistently. I ran 135 miles in Dec and had a 8 mile long run 2 days ago. It has been 5-10 years since I have run that many miles in a month/long run. I am looking forward to being active on the running boards again. It really helped me keep my motivation in the past.

David
I was also part of the group. Loved the big meet up Fridays at POP.

So…today is my 60th birthday. I always thought I would retire at the end of the 22-23 school year and run 2024 Dopey to celebrate retirement and turning 60.

But, I didn’t retire because I still love what I do and therefore no Dopey for turning 60.

Maybe next year…

I still have my W.I.S.H. team raceready neon green singlet. It is much tighter on me now. It must have shrunk in the closet over the last 12 years. :)
I do as well. I actually have 6 of them. 3 for me and 3 for hubby Doubt any of them fit. 🫣

So…today is my 60th birthday. I always thought I would retire at the end of the 22-23 school year and run 2024 Dopey to celebrate retirement and turning 60.

But, I didn’t retire because I still love what I do and therefore no Dopey for turning 60.

Maybe next year…
Happy big day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter