Marathon Weekend 2024

Post from Bioreconstruct, who is well known for his aerial photos of Disney/Uni rides in development but is also perfect for the marathon, Goofy, and Dopey!

View attachment 823672
This is terrific. He’s been public regarding some health challenges he’s experienced over the last year, and I’m thrilled he’s keeping the steak alive. Perhaps the kindest and most selfless person in the Disney community.

That rain was rough. It was cold and just pelting you. I was feeling a lot better today and my buddy from work was running the marathon with me. I was on pace to beat my time from last year which is my PR. Then headed into AK my left hamstring grabs. I ended dealing with that for the entire race. I had to stop probably 20 times to stretch it and get back on the road. Then my quad decided to lock up also the last 8 miles or so. I did end up 4:25, so after food poisoning, muscle cramps, and cold rain, I will take it.

That rain was rough. It was cold and just pelting you. I was feeling a lot better today and my buddy from work was running the marathon with me. I was on pace to beat my time from last year which is my PR. Then headed into AK my left hamstring grabs. I ended dealing with that for the entire race. I had to stop probably 20 times to stretch it and get back on the road. Then my quad decided to lock up also the last 8 miles or so. I did end up 4:25, so after food poisoning, muscle cramps, and cold rain, I will take it.

There were a lot of people on the course with muscle issues, going from the humid start to cold rain. Strong runners I know were pushed out in wheelchairs after finishing. Every marathon is its own story, great job on overcoming all the obstacles thrown your way!

Anyone going to Epcot or the finish line, they're only running the resort monorail and the lines to transfer are long. Build in plenty of time!
I tried to go from Bay Lake to watch the fireworks last night. The Epcot monorail pulled into the TTC station and they said it was down for maintenance and they were having buses come.

I decided to abandon that plan because by that time, I wouldn’t have made it to the lake by 9.

The resort monorail was down the night before the half; it seems they’re having some struggles.

Bummer alert. Feel free to skip.

I hated the race so much. My husband completely dropped the ball and didn’t get my boys to magic kingdom on time. So I ended up standing around to see them and get my fuel from him. That completely ruined the race for me. I spent a long time just thinking of quitting, and then after a while, my brain turned off and I just ran on autopilot without thinking of anything.

I have just two words

P.R.

ok, more words. I knew I was biting off more than I should but after an easy shorter half and nice temps I decide to jump on the Galloway 3:30 group. They were fantastic, adjusting pace for near perfect splits and hills or stops. I hit the halfway with them at exactly 1:45. After that I noticed that I wasn’t right next to them anymore and they were slowly fading from view. Mid animal kingdom I lost them and went to self pacing keeping their 4:00/:30 intervals.

Cue the rain, for me it was a blessing and a curse. As I was soaked I was also tapping on the wall a little. Took off the wet shirt and enjoyed the refreshment as I started picking up speed and getting a second wind. Actually passed the pacers going the other way at BB only about 3 mins ahead of me.

Well that faded fast as the heavy wet feet were yelling at me around mile 21. My left sock dropped just enough to let the top of my shoe gnaw at my ankle like an angry beaver, and the pace slowed. The plus side being I had a fifteen minute cushion at the half and not much to go. Kept up what I was doing as best as possible and took 1:18 off my best
Thrilled with this MW

Congratulations to all this weekends runners!

Last edited:
The unexpected rain was cold and soaking and thoroughly unpleasant. I seem to be cursed, as that's 3 major race events in a row that have featured extensive rain. You have my deepest apologies for bringing that with me. Be assured, though, I will not rest until I have broken the code and learned to prevent it!

As for the race itself, I knew I was undertrained for this one and it showed. Fortunately, none of the muscular issues that kept my training at bay the last 2+ months reared their ugly heads. It was nice chatting with @Novatrix as we kept crossing paths early in the race as she stopped for photos and I just slogged along. I saw @Bree and He Who Shall Not Be Named On DISBoards around the Poly/Grand Floridian, too. In the end, Dopey #7 is in the books and I'll never complain (too much) about a weekend when I can get that done.

All in all, results aside, it's been a great weekend. I love the meet-ups with the chance to both catch up with folks from the board and put faces with screen names. Onto the real challenge now, DATW! Our normal 11:00 start in Mexico tomorrow, I presume? Even if you couldn't make HH or the morning meet-ups, consider joining in DATW. It's always a fun time!

Last edited:
Bummer alert. Feel free to skip.

I hated the race so much. My husband completely dropped the ball and didn’t get my boys to magic kingdom on time. So I ended up standing around to see them and get my fuel from him. That completely ruined the race for me. I spent a long time just thinking of quitting, and then after a while, my brain turned off and I just ran on autopilot without thinking of anything.

Don't apologize. You didn't say explicitly, but it sounds like you finished. Marathons are hard when everything goes to plan and works like it should. Marathons are a lot harder when things don't go to plan. Be proud of getting the job done under adverse circumstances. Congratulations!

I have just two words

P.R.

ok, more words. I knew I was biting off more than I should but after an easy shorter half and nice temps I decide to jump on the Galloway 3:30 group. They were fantastic, adjusting pace for near perfect splits and hills or stops. I hit the halfway with them at exactly 1:45. After that I noticed that I wasn’t right next to them anymore and they were slowly fading from view. Mid animal kingdom I lost them and went to self pacing keeping their 4:00/:30 intervals.

Cue the rain, for me it was a blessing and a curse. As I was soaked I was also tapping on the wall a little. Took off the wet shirt and enjoyed the refreshment as I started picking up speed and getting a second wind. Actually passed the pacers going the other way at BB only about 3 mins ahead of me.

Well that faded fast as the heavy wet feet were yelling at me around mile 21. My left sock dropped just enough to let the top of my shoe gnaw at my ankle like an angry beaver, and the pace slowed. The plus side being I had a fifteen minute cushion at the half and not much to go. Kept up what I was doing as best as possible and took 1:18 off my best
Thrilled with this MW

Congratulations to all this weekends runners!

Great job! Congrats on the PR!

Another bummer alert.

I got swept at mile 19, so my first ever Dopey was a no-go.

But I’m still pretty happy about it! I got farther than I thought I was likely to! I just started runDisney two years ago and have now completed two marathons and all of a Dopey except for 7 miles! I never thought I could do this! When I first saw the term Dopey Challenge on this board I asked what it was and when someone told me I responded with something like “why would anyone want to do that?!” Now I want to and actively working towards it, so I feel like I’ve come a long way in three years.

My goal is to do this by the time I’m 60 so I have two more attempts.

And it was an interesting experience riding the “bus of shame.” We can’t all be winners every time.

I'm very happy to report that I finished!

Honestly, when we normally say "the hay is in the barn" before a race, for me 2023 was a pretty lean harvest year due to waves of health issues. I kept mentally giving myself outs all day to keep moving on to the next step, just waiting for the blow up to happen and the need to pull out of the race. By the time I hit the Boardwalk area, I was genuinely choked up with happiness at the fact that I was going to finish.

First stop post finish line was to pick up the marathon magnet, which I originally hadn't thought I'd earn.

Special thanks to @The Expert for taking my jacket in front of the Contemporary! And shoutouts to @camaker, @Bree and @<name redacted> for getting to talk to them along the course! It's really the community that make these races special!

Another bummer alert.

I got swept at mile 19, so my first ever Dopey was a no-go.

But I’m still pretty happy about it! I got farther than I thought I was likely to! I just started runDisney two years ago and have now completed two marathons and all of a Dopey except for 7 miles! I never thought I could do this! When I first saw the term Dopey Challenge on this board I asked what it was and when someone told me I responded with something like “why would anyone want to do that?!” Now I want to and actively working towards it, so I feel like I’ve come a long way in three years.

My goal is to do this by the time I’m 60 so I have two more attempts.

And it was an interesting experience riding the “bus of shame.” We can’t all be winners every time.
I have so much respect for people that worked so hard to get here. You registered, you trained, you got your azzz to the starting line and you gave 100%. It’s a bummer getting swept but you should be proud on what you accomplished!! :)

I am one of those people who goes out for training runs in any weather - even torrential rain. So you can say I was well trained for the rain. But I was at mile 16 when it started to pour which is the part of the course heading out of AK and travels directly into the NW wind. I was getting pelted and I was like OK, enough. Once I turned onto Western Way, it was fine. The rain was so hard it was hitting my earbuds and pausing my music which have tap controls. Crazy.

But really, the rain was fine. The race was great. I felt great the whole way. Maintained a great pace and kept my heart rate low. No hitting the wall this year. I would have easily PR’d but I stopped for SO many pictures. I usually only stop for characters I don’t already have pics with but there were so many on this course - many of which I didn’t even know who they were lol.

OK Dopey done. Now off to EPCOT for some drinks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter