Marathon Weekend 2024

I did notice character lines being much longer due to the condensed crowds and I think more A corral people who usually do not stop for characters did today
I was surprised at the photo lines too and I got a fantastic jump starting the race at the timing mat. Merlin had not even come out when I went though there so I was a bit bummed. There were a few no shows or characters on break, but I stopped for all I could.

That’s because there was not a single lightning strike within 100 miles of Orlando. My weather app did not indicate any lightning at all yesterday, just rain. This was the first Disney race since I started in 2011 that I actually stopped for a photo on the course, because the race did not matter at all. I enjoyed my time because I enjoy running, and I was glad I didn’t have to suffer through an 89% humidity half. But we lost a half marathon over a drizzle. A light drizzle.
It was more than a light drizzle. You do know they had to cut the course again, right?

Storms like this in FL can go real bad, real fast. Complain about your “sprinkle” when you experience a tornado in your backyard and have to hide with your kids in a closet or a neighborhood mom losing her life last year in a freak pop up storm when she was struck by lightning waiting for her daughter to get out of school. How about losing your horse to a lightning strike because you can’t get to it in time when “sprinkles” turn into something more. I’m sorry that us Floridians take lightning threats too seriously for your liking.

Someone mentioned earlier that they had a preview of the finisher eats out at one of the embroidery places…DH and I picked up ramen from Morimoto street food tonight and passed the store that usually embroiders hats and it was empty. Like NOTHING in there. Not sure what’s going on as it was open at the beginning of the week.

That’s because there was not a single lightning strike within 100 miles of Orlando. My weather app did not indicate any lightning at all yesterday, just rain. This was the first Disney race since I started in 2011 that I actually stopped for a photo on the course, because the race did not matter at all. I enjoyed my time because I enjoy running, and I was glad I didn’t have to suffer through an 89% humidity half. But we lost a half marathon over a drizzle. A light drizzle.
You’re really doubling down on this aren’t you? What reason does RunDisney have to shorten the course, other than the safety of runners and volunteers? What do they get?
We also have vastly different definitions of a light drizzle, because that is not what happened today, regardless of whether or not there was lightning.

I took a little snooze in our heated recliner (I’m a glamper, not a camper 😂) and woke up feeling guilty about not doing that additional 6 miles. Waited for the storm to pass and went to Epcot and walked those miles. My husband joined in for one loop around WS then found a bench in China to search for the end of the internet 😃

Boy was the “course” congested and the lines for Donald, Snow White and Belle were ridiculous so I skipped those 😆 I stopped for Figment and a GOTG photo op. Club Cool was the best water stop ever.

1704583858918.jpeg

I never got any thunder that I heard but I know there was a chance. The rain was never any harder than Boston this year so the race was possible but it is what it is. Having it shortened sort of took the "race" aspect out of it for me so I could enjoy an easy run with characters.
But it was windier than Boston, AND warmer.:-)

You’re really doubling down on this aren’t you? What reason does RunDisney have to shorten the course, other than the safety of runners and volunteers? What do they get?
We also have vastly different definitions of a light drizzle, because that is not what happened today, regardless of whether or not there was lightning.

They had to shorten the course by eliminating the loop around world showcase. But I thought the parks were safe to be in during a storm? :rolleyes1

They had to shorten the course by eliminating the loop around world showcase. But I thought the parks were safe to be in during a storm? :rolleyes1
Perhaps you should go back and read where everyone also talks about the need to get things broken down and volunteers sheltered. That should clear it up for you. Hindsight is 20/20 and if they knew there wouldn't be any lightening, I am guessing they would not have shortened the course at all despite the wind and rain. But that's not how things work. You make your best guess based on the info you have at the time which for them is enough in advance to completely revamp a course for 10,000+ runners.

I was surprised at the photo lines too and I got a fantastic jump starting the race at the timing mat. Merlin had not even come out when I went though there so I was a bit bummed. There were a few no shows or characters on break, but I stopped for all I could.
We must have had similar timing since I went by when Merlin wasn't out, too. I saw a runner who stopped and was waiting for Merlin to come out who was convincing his buddy to stop and wait.

For anyone staying at CSR, where do the buses pick up? I usually drive, but I think my wife wants to take the car to the finish line tomorrow. So I will need to hop on a bus if that is the case.

For anyone staying at CSR, where do the buses pick up? I usually drive, but I think my wife wants to take the car to the finish line tomorrow. So I will need to hop on a bus if that is the case.
All the resort bus stops. At the tower it’s by the convention center, but the rest of the satellite stops are as-is. No issues taking busses the last days from my bus stop #4.

We must’ve been together at that point because I saw the guy standing there and his buddy said something like, “but wait for how long?” I started slowing considerable after the first 2 miles or so.

I took a little snooze in our heated recliner (I’m a glamper, not a camper 😂) and woke up feeling guilty about not doing that additional 6 miles. Waited for the storm to pass and went to Epcot and walked those miles. My husband joined in for one loop around WS then found a bench in China to search for the end of the internet 😃

Boy was the “course” congested and the lines for Donald, Snow White and Belle were ridiculous so I skipped those 😆 I stopped for Figment and a GOTG photo op. Club Cool was the best water stop ever.

View attachment 823538

Just say yes to finish line beers 👍😃

Has anyone been able to get runner tracking to work? I would really like to track the 7:00 pacers but I really can’t figure out how to do it. I!made it to the runner tracking site and found the pacers I want to track but where / how do you select tracking and enter your info for text alerts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Way behind, the thread is active!!! I wonder why? 🤣

I want to say thank you for the effort runDisney put forth to still have a race. In the end the storm did not even compare to 2017, but I think they made the right decision based on the forecast. Runner, worker and volunteer safety is more important than a race, period.

I finished my miles at Wilderness Lodge and though the numbers were light it was nice to get cheers, high fives and smiles from my fellow very wet runners!

I LOVED that Baloo was on the course, and thanks to my daughter for giving me the push to get that picture. The line was crazy long and I would not have otherwise.

On that note, runDisney needs to figure out a way to delineate corral placement. Whether that is stretching POT’s out further to better align corrals B,C,D. Or some ingenious way to organize it better but (and I was running out of C) my corral way too big, way too congested and too much variance in runner speed. I want to be clear about this, I think anyone who has registered and wishes to run the race should, and regardless of running speed every person on the course has the right to be there and have a positive experience.

But today the course was so congested that it was basically impossible to maintain intervals I either had to go much slower than I wanted or move too far left, into the grass often to move at desired clip, but then when a walk phase started I was I the way of others. And I was trying to be respectful of all those runners who are much faster than me, of which there are many.

Way back in the day they used to break the corrals up from like A - P. Not that it was perfect but maybe that could allow for more correlation between runner speed and corral placement. Then folks would be running with like speed runners - good for the front, middle and back of the pack. Vent done…

Good luck marathoners!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter