Marathon Weekend 2024

thanks for the info. I am trying to go the no surgery route. I was wondering how long it may take. I am old so I am going with 12 weeks.

i did say if this was 10 years ago, i probably would have done it.
Of course all meniscus tears are not the same, but FWIW: I’ve been living with a tear for a few decades now. One doc said surgery, 3 others said no, just live with it unless it becomes unbearable. I haven’t hit that point yet, so I carry on. Sometimes the little piece that’s torn slips out of position and gets squeezed by my patella - that’s pretty uncomfortable, but I can live with it until it finds its way back home again. I’ve tried a gazillion braces and straps and none have helped, but a half-strip of KT tape does seem to help. I fold it in half and make a cut down the center so I wind up with a hole in the middle and an anchor point at each end - apply it at the lateral anchor point, carefully sit the hole over my patella with the tape resting at the top and bottom, then anchor the medial end, around 50% stretch.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I don’t know why I didn’t think to look and see if there was a pace calculator for this.

If by chance we have a wet wait in the corrals would a small umbrella be frowned upon? I’ll have ponchos so it’s not a big deal. My husband suggested I grab a cheap umbrella to keep the rain off but then I thought about the rain dripping off and possibly getting on other people while everyone is sitting. Or worse…poking someone.
I’ve used an old umbrella pre-race a few times. I always start in the far back of my corral anyway, so I have plenty of room to stand under an umbrella well away from others. Once we get to the point where conditions are too tight, I abandon the umbrella and rely on a poncho.
UGH after getting through all the training runs with no issues, during my 20 miler two weeks ago I started having some pain in my lower leg/ankle/foot. I haven't run since, but have been doing cycling and swimming. Have been to the doctor twice, and they think it is tibial nerve inflammation and did some treatments on me (sports chiro). I have one more DR appointment before I leave for Disney so still optimisitc that I will be able to run, but I'm worried.

Has anyone had to lay off running entirely for 2-3 weeks leading into a race and been OK? This will be my 14th marathon, so I am not new to endurance running and hoping my body will hang in there!
Yep! Once had to take 2 weeks of no running at all immediately before a race: felt great on race day. You will, too!
Anybody organizing a betting pool on the weather? 😁

I cannot lie. I looked... DON'T DO IT! 🤪 Just... pack everything.
For real: now is NOT the time to look. It’s… bleak. :rotfl: :headache: Yes to packing everything!

I'm not running the marathon this year, but I am already making plans for Dopey 2025. That being said, do you think that it's possible to go on Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest AND Dinosaur if you get to DAK at 7:30? Good luck to all running the marathon next weekend!
I don’t think you’d be able to. EE is along the race route, the other two rides you’d have to wander off into the parks, which they won’t let you do.

Thank you @Herding_Cats and @Kerry1957 for updating the spreadsheet this year! And @DopeyBadger for creating it! MW is starting to feel very real!
I just had a friend order me ponchos and some disposable shoe covers to be delivered to BLT. The shoe cover comes in a pack of 50, so if anyone is around BLT, I’ll happily share!

I got really sick a few weeks ago, so hadn’t run until this week. Went for a couple of easy runs, which felt easy, except my heart rate was really high, and my right knee randomly locked up both times. My knee didn’t cause any pain, so im trying not to worry. I just have no idea why it’s happening.

Thank you @Herding_Cats and @Kerry1957 for updating the spreadsheet this year! And @DopeyBadger for creating it! MW is starting to feel very real!
I just had a friend order me ponchos and some disposable shoe covers to be delivered to BLT. The shoe cover comes in a pack of 50, so if anyone is around BLT, I’ll happily share!

I got really sick a few weeks ago, so hadn’t run until this week. Went for a couple of easy runs, which felt easy, except my heart rate was really high, and my right knee randomly locked up both times. My knee didn’t cause any pain, so im trying not to worry. I just have no idea why it’s happening.
I was looking at the disposable shoe covers on Amazon as well. But every one that I was looking at say that they tear super easy walking on concrete. So I will probably stick with the Target bags or small garbage bags and some tape if it is raining while waiting around int the corral.

THIS!!! Also @DopeyBadger I know you are planning to do the DL races and our info is not nearly as extensive, but if there were plans to do something like this for DL that I could jump in and help with or take over, let me know. I do think even just the list of runners for each race with anticipated pacing could be useful, and I am happy to do that.

I was thinking about it last night. Mostly around trying to solidify meetup location/timing. I can see what spare time I can carve out this afternoon to get something outlined that you could possibly take over.

UGH after getting through all the training runs with no issues, during my 20 miler two weeks ago I started having some pain in my lower leg/ankle/foot. I haven't run since, but have been doing cycling and swimming. Have been to the doctor twice, and they think it is tibial nerve inflammation and did some treatments on me (sports chiro). I have one more DR appointment before I leave for Disney so still optimisitc that I will be able to run, but I'm worried.

Has anyone had to lay off running entirely for 2-3 weeks leading into a race and been OK? This will be my 14th marathon, so I am not new to endurance running and hoping my body will hang in there!
I’ve done 4 weeks off and felt very fresh

I always bring a large trash bag into the corrals if it could be windy or raining. Tear a hole for your head and you are good to go. I can even sit with the bag covering my knees/legs. For a more elaborate trash bag costume, tear holes for your arms and you have a long vest. Discard just before you start since the bags are, by design, not breathable.

Downsides include no-one else in the corral will be able to see your great actual costume, and you will look a bit like a homeless bum.

Got to love the ever changing weather. Now marathon day is showing "increasing amounts of sunshine".

The potential of rain did get me thinking about my attire for the runs when I was packing. If it were to rain pretty good and clothes got soaked, would they be see through? LOL. I was originally going to wear some highlighter green shorts for the full. Tested out that theory yesterday. Yea those are no go. Once they were soaked you could see right through them. I would compression shorts underneath, but still didn't like that. So changing it up to darker colors with no transparency.

Once they were soaked you could see right through them. I would compression shorts underneath, but still didn't like that. So changing it up to darker colors with no transparency.
I was originally going to wear white shorts for my Dapper Dan / Barbershop Quartet costume. When soaking wet they would have turned a lot of heads (and stomachs). I'm now going with red.

I don’t think you’d be able to. EE is along the race route, the other two rides you’d have to wander off into the parks, which they won’t let you do.
The catalyst for this self-admittedly crazy idea was this guy who posted on Facebook who started from Corral A and got 25 photo stops with 9 rides including Spaceship Earth and Guardians. The nine rides included going on Everest and Dinosaur twice. He actually waited for the balloon ladies and crossed the finish line just before they did at 7:45. If anyone wants to follow him, he has a pretty amazing story of dropping an incredible amount of weight and becoming the runner that he is today. His name is Brandon Knight and his IG is brandon_runs_the_world.

I’m just trying to get through today’s weather. This is what I woke up to in NW Florida. The wind today is brutal. It was about 5 degrees warmer back home in Orlando.

View attachment 821135
Our state is quite amazing with the disparate climates. It was 59 degrees with 94% humidity on my 5:30 run this morning in South Florida.

I am prob late to the party - but anyone spectating the full and willing to be my margarita buyer/hander? 🤣 Please lmk lol

I’m just trying to get through today’s weather. This is what I woke up to in NW Florida. The wind today is brutal. It was about 5 degrees warmer back home in Orlando.

View attachment 821135

Our state is quite amazing with the disparate climates. It was 59 degrees with 94% humidity on my 5:30 run this morning in South Florida.
Reporting in from Tampa Bay, where I had to crank the heat up to 69* for a bit because my house was so damp from 24+ hours of rain, but temps too high for heat and too low for AC. It’s currently 58* outside and dropping…

(cross posting in DL thread) I have never really been driven by medals, but I was bummed when I saw that this year’s C2C was a new design (and I’m not a fan 😂), and I realized how much I wanted the Walt and Mickey one. I blame the peak training madness, but I got an old one from eBay and ordered a custom ribbon off of Etsy. I’m very superstitious so it was hard to unpack them now, but I wanted to make sure my plan would work. It does, and I have enough ribbon left for two more medals, so if anyone wants a medal-length piece that’s says “Coast to Coast 2024” I’m happy to meet up in FL or CA in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• A5047054-3D38-448D-AC3A-5E50220A226E.jpeg
    A5047054-3D38-448D-AC3A-5E50220A226E.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter