Marathon Weekend 2023

I would bet that it’s part of the RunDisney vendor contract, though. RunDisney says “pay us $x for a booth and we’ll guarantee at least y runners will visit the Expo.” Impulse buys on sight are definitely a thing, too, even if you didn’t plan to shop, so the foot traffic benefits the vendors.
And the expo has a LOT of pushy, slightly sleazy salespeople. Getting people to buy things they didn't really want.

All that foot traffic makes that happen.

And the expo has a LOT of pushy, slightly sleazy salespeople. Getting people to buy things they didn't really want.

I just know that I have been bitterly disappointed that neither Jake from State Farm nor Patrick Mahomes have put in an Expo or pre-race hosting appearance as representatives of the primary race weekend sponsor. Maybe they’re saving them for the marathon!

If you experienced pushy and sleazy, let RunDisney know which vendor. The same vendors tend to be there all the time. Thankfully all the vendors I’ve interacted with over the last 9 years have been great 👍

I would bet that it’s part of the RunDisney vendor contract, though. RunDisney says “pay us $x for a booth and we’ll guarantee at least y runners will visit the Expo.” Impulse buys on sight are definitely a thing, too, even if you didn’t plan to shop, so the foot traffic benefits the vendors.
Yep. I don’t know if I could come up with a percentage but I’d guess the large majority, particularly experienced runners, who don’t plan to buy anything hustle their way through without making a purchase. But some small percentage ends up seeing something they like or need, or they get yanked in by a salesperson. Or maybe you go through and don’t buy but later you realize you do need something, and you remember so and so vendor that was selling it. There’s probably some sort of book on selling about this.

I don’t do it now bc I’m better prepared and bring stuff from home but before my first half I ended up getting my first fuel, prior to that I didn’t even know this stuff existed. At another I got bodyglide, which again, no idea. Small items, I know, and I make sure I have this stuff covered in advance now, but that’s why they do this. I’m sure others have made bigger purchases on a whim.

Yep. I don’t know if I could come up with a percentage but I’d guess the large majority, particularly experienced runners, who don’t plan to buy anything hustle their way through without making a purchase. But some small percentage ends up seeing something they like or need, or they get yanked in by a salesperson. Or maybe you go through and don’t buy but later you realize you do need something, and you remember so and so vendor that was selling it. There’s probably some sort of book on selling about this.

I don’t do it now bc I’m better prepared and bring stuff from home but before my first half I ended up getting my first fuel, prior to that I didn’t even know this stuff existed. At another I got bodyglide, which again, no idea. Small items, I know, and I make sure I have this stuff covered in advance now, but that’s why they do this. I’m sure others have made bigger purchases on a whim.
I hear Body Glide is a big seller at Expos…

I know in the past dtech on demand at springs has phone cases, magnets and in past years magic bands you can get with race branding if the expo is a lost cause

And the expo has a LOT of pushy, slightly sleazy salespeople.

I just took a spin through there. Someone literally came up behind me and put his vibrating massage thing on my back and stated massaging me as I was walking by. I mean I get it, he needs to sell vibrating massage things and it’s a festive vibe, but I thought it was a little much.

I hear Body Glide is a big seller at Expos…
I think I first bought it at Dark Side 2017, I didn’t have any issues with chafing unless I was running a half and at that point I had only run two, so it was sort of a why not purchase, no idea if it would help but it was worth a shot. I’ve since learned that vaseline does a better job for me and I don’t need to go to an expo or running store to get it.

I just know that I have been bitterly disappointed that neither Jake from State Farm nor Patrick Mahomes have put in an Expo or pre-race hosting appearance as representatives of the primary race weekend sponsor. Maybe they’re saving them for the marathon!
If mentioned them being there, my wife would sign up for her first race. Especially if it were Mahomes....

I think I first bought it at Dark Side 2017, I didn’t have any issues with chafing unless I was running a half and at that point I had only run two, so it was sort of a why not purchase, no idea if it would help but it was worth a shot. I’ve since learned that vaseline does a better job for me and I don’t need to go to an expo or running store to get it.
That was a remark at my own expense. I forgot to pack Body Glide and had to hit the Expo a 2nd time around 7:30 last night to pick some up for this morning! 🤣

Last edited:
I was at the Expo on Wed evening last year and it was already very picked over and cast members were already consolidating displays. For a company whose main mission is selling us merchandise, the Expo merch seems to be a very second or third-rate effort. I really wanted a Dopey magnet for my car, but none were left. Ditto for a mug and a shirt. I found a Dopey shirt that is a bit snug (more weight loss incentive) and settled for that. I went in prepared to spend some $$ for goods and left with the one item.

For a mug, I bought this grey one from Target and bought some Dopey stickers off ebay or etsy, and I'm enjoying my morning coffee in it as I type. FWIW, I hand wash it so the dishwasher doesn't kill the sticker.
And sitting next to it is my 2009 half mug on my desk waiting to be repaired, but will have to be retired from use as a mug. (I am totally bummed about that).
Good luck to everyone on the remaining races.
Hot tip…I’ve had success in the past with asking if there any expo returns at your hotel gift shop (if staying onsite). A lot of people have buyers remorse and you can return items to any shop…I’ve scored a pin and magnets at Pop Century this way so it’s worth asking throughout the weekend!

Maybe I can turn the tables and corner the Honey Stinger people and ask why I can’t find any Gingersnap waffles anymore. I would stock up each holiday season for the coming year and now can’t find them at all ☹️

Maybe I can turn the tables and corner the Honey Stinger people and ask why I can’t find any Gingersnap waffles anymore. I would stock up each holiday season for the coming year and now can’t find them at all ☹️
Ask them why there are no more Cherry Cola gummies any more, either! Those were my favorites and they came with a nice shot of caffeine, too. Now they're just gone. 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter