Marathon Weekend 2023

MCO was an absolute mess when we got in last night. We sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes and then waited 1.5 hours for our bags.

This was after an hour delay. The delay wasn't bad. We arrived at 10:20 instead of 9:20, but the waiting afterward and absolute insanity of baggage claim was terrible.

Asleep by 2am but kids up at 8. Ugh
I feel like MCO baggage claim is always terrible but 1.5 hours is really bad!

I’m a seasoned flyer but having a brain fog moment on this for some reason… are a bunch of gels in a carry on OK? Or should I put them in my checked bag? I packed all my running gear/food in a carry-on mainly for a worst case lost luggage scenario but now I’m questioning the gels. Thank you!
Anecdotal, but I just went through security with a quart-sized ziploc bag full of GU gels in my carry on and didn’t get any hassle.

Starting to stress about the Thurs weather forecast and what that could mean for my trip across I-4. For those who don’t know, I-4 in stormy weather is basically Beyond Thunderdome. What’s normally a < 2 hour drive once took me 5+ hours in a thunderstorm. I’m tempted to head over Wed to avoid that extra stress, which should also result in perfect weather Thurs lol!

ETA: scratch that - storms rolling in over here starting Wed, so no benefit going a day early. Just gonna have to hope for the best.

Last edited:

Strange; I’m running the half and ran the Princess in February with a ~2:25 time, but ended up with a 44xxx bib.
Another data point.
My DD; Half Marathon bib 41xxx Also estimated 2:16-2:30.

I don't think your 44xxx is all that strange. There is a very large number of people (multiple thousands) without a POT (under 2:15) that estimate the fastest non POT time.

My guess is that all 3 of us will be in the same group/corral with several thousand others. I don't think your Princess time has any relevance to runDisney even if it infers you will be one of the faster runners in the group/corral. That sounds a bit harsh how I wrote it, but rD just lumps all of the 2:16-2:30 runners together including those who just missed the cutoff and those who will not finish in under 3+ hours but just want to be in a forward corral. Your slightly higher number may mean you just registered a couple of minutes after I did (if that is how they assign numbers within groups/corrals)

Edit to add: See Billy's comment in the next post. Somewhere around 30-40% of the field use the same fastest non-POT time

Last edited:
(from a fb group guy who is the statistics version of Billy, but I also feel like he has one of these charts floating around here too so maybe it’s borrow info? Idk. )

His information from MW 2022 will be more accurate than my pre-2022 race data. He uses post-race data to determine the time difference between gun time and chip time to determine who was in what corral. Pre-race I used the correlation between what people put on their registration and their assigned bib numbers before we knew what actual assignments were. So mine were estimations and his were based on actual post-race data.

With that being said, there will be some small differences this year with the inclusion of another block of POT times. I'm guessing it means that what was "C/s3" as the first non-POT corral last year will now be "D/s4". Depending on what people put as their estimated times will allocate the non-POT runners. Typically as much as 30-40% of the field puts the first non-POT corral choice (a number from memory as I don't have it front of me at the moment). We'll see tomorrow, but I still am guessing that a 5:00-5:30 Dopey submission will be in the second to last marathon corral.

I feel like as a member of team goofy, I am a part of a very selective group! I suppose it would how many dopey, half- ers sign up that would the small number? Or it just isn't very popular, but I thought it sold out pretty quick?

The MOST selective group, impressive :)

The number of 10k runners seems like a lot, some are going to have a crowded race for the entire time.

Sitting at my gate waiting for my first flight. Streets were iced over for my last run this morning but has since melted. Knock on wood - everything is looking good so far. Out of here and DTW. And got upgraded to C+ for my flight into Orlando!

I'm seeing on facebook that some people are reporting Character signs placed along the half and full routes. Anyone have any more information or confirmation that is around WDW? We don't arrive until Friday for the half.
Half:
Grand Floridian (not sure where along the 1/4ish mile) - Belle and Ariel
~1/4 mile later - Mickey
Mile 10ish - Sarge

Full:
Grand Floridian - Dopey
World Drive near Speedway - Jafar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter