Marathon Weekend 2023

I have a "normal times" character-meet question.

This morning I watched Arno's 2020 MW videos. They had pre-race and post-race character meets. It seems like there was usually Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Dopey, and Pluto? And for the 10k Oswald was there as well. And during the races I'm pretty sure Dopey was on-course for at least 3 out of the 4 races.

Now, we all know that the 2022 weekend was a little different because there were still C19 protocols in place, but I'm pretty sure that Dopey was *only* out for the full (before the carousel in MK) and the line when I went through was SUPER long. And we know that pre/post race characters were back at W&D.

Which of these is more "normal" for a race weekend? I'm coming up with race-survival strategies, and deciding which characters are "must stop" for me, and which ones will probably have opportunities during multiple races.
In my experience the same characters are out pre and post race. This obviously does not help from race to race but if you see someone out pre race, the chances are very good you can get a photo with then post race.

Which of these is more "normal" for a race weekend? I'm coming up with race-survival strategies, and deciding which characters are "must stop" for me, and which ones will probably have opportunities during multiple races.
Looking at my 2020 MW, Dopey was at the 7DMT during the half and at the end for the full. He was also at my celebration dinner at Storybook at Artist Point.

It was the 15th anniversary year for the Goofy Challenge and Goofy was everywhere.

This morning I watched Arno's 2020 MW videos. They had pre-race and post-race character meets. It seems like there was usually Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Dopey, and Pluto? And for the 10k Oswald was there as well. And during the races I'm pretty sure Dopey was on-course for at least 3 out of the 4 races.

Now, we all know that the 2022 weekend was a little different because there were still C19 protocols in place, but I'm pretty sure that Dopey was *only* out for the full (before the carousel in MK) and the line when I went through was SUPER long. And we know that pre/post race characters were back at W&D.

I can’t talk for MW as my only time doing that weekend was 2022 when it was just a 50th ear-indecent photo wall pre/post HOWEVER here is my experience with W&D re: host/challenge characters…

‘16 10k: host character Remy (with Emile) & challenge host Lumiere at s/f
‘17 10k: theme was pretty much just chef Mickey & Epcot iconography for 10k/Half/Challenge… chef Mickey at s/f
‘18 10k: host chef Louis & Sebastian challenge Lumiere & Cogsworth… Sebastian & Lumiere at s/f
‘19: 5K Baloo & Louie were hosts…appeared on course {this was also the only race I’ve personally seen Dopey out and met him}
10k: Olaf and Sven were hosts, 3 Caballeros challenge … Anna & Elsa were at s/f No Caballero presence during 10k (might of been out at half)
‘21 10k: Jack & Oggie Boogie were hosts no s/f characters due to c19 restrictions but socially distanced encounters on course challenge was Ursula who was rolling around the parking lot pre race
‘22 5k: Host Miguel who was out s/f
10k: host Raya out…challenge was Genie he wasn’t out or on course (he was at expo and was on course for half)

Anyone else nervous about their Southwest flight? A Reddit post reveals that the massive cancellations are due to an internal scheduling malfunction, and I got an email that flights thru Jan 2 (when I’m flying) can be rescheduled. I feel like it -should- be solved by Monday— I have a nonstop from Columbus to Orlando— but am also tempted to book Delta as a back up…

Anyone else nervous about their Southwest flight? A Reddit post reveals that the massive cancellations are due to an internal scheduling malfunction, and I got an email that flights thru Jan 2 (when I’m flying) can be rescheduled. I feel like it -should- be solved by Monday— I have a nonstop from Columbus to Orlando— but am also tempted to book Delta as a back up…
Yes, I’m flying out Jan 1 on Southwest (direct) from Pittsburgh and got the same email. I did reschedule for an earlier flight to give myself time to grab a later one if something happens, but it’s making me very nervous. I have plenty of buffer before the races, but this is also a family vacation and I don’t want it to get cut short!

Oh yes. I didn't get an email, probably because I'm not flying out until the 3rd. Fingers crossed that they get it straightened out sooner rather than later.

Yes, I’m very nervous now. I’m flying out the 4th, so hopefully there’s time for it to stabilize, but it’s unwanted stress now. What a disaster.

I'm leaving on United, but I've had some fun cancellations with them this year. I have a same day backup on JetBlue that's fully refundable (and it's just me, so I'm not taking up too much space thankfully). I went back and forth on the ethics of doing that, but I'd rather be prepared. I'm already stuffing my race gear into carryons to avoid baggage issues

Who's getting nervous just generally?? 🙋‍♀️

Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and my brain went AH YES, NOW IS THE TIME FOR OVERTHINKING THINGS and I spent the next hour counting gels based on potential finishing times, planning my Expo day, and calculating when the 10-day forecast would be available.

Then I fell back asleep and dreamed that I was running a 5K but the course wasn't marked and I was wearing the wrong shoes...

This seems like a good time to re-share this, since we also dealt with a massive storm leading up to MW '22.
For those of you worried about flight cancelations, know that checking the history of your flight is only one part of the picture. Some seemingly random chains of events can lead to cancelation of just about any flight at any time. Primarily weather and crew issues are to blame, with missed connections, crew shortages and illnesses, and regulations on shift lengths and rest periods. Those are more likely in winter and with Covid, which is why you're seeing this happening now. It's almost impossible to predict. I don't say that to scare you, but instead to share a better way to be prepared. If you want advice from this recently-minted Million Miler, read on.

Beyond having the airline app on your phone, being logged in and making sure you've opted in to mobile alerts and text messages, the single best thing you can do is to have handy a list of alternate flights you can switch to, in the order you prefer. Your airline app and travel apps like TripIt usually have a button on your itinerary screen for this, or you can look it up in the app or on the website by looking for the schedule or pretending to book a new flight. The moment your flight is delayed or canceled, you can switch to another flight without change fees and (on most airlines) without paying fare differences. (Even if it's delayed 10 or 15 minutes, this option should show up. If there is bad weather or there seems to be a string of cancelations happening, it might be to your advantage to take the risk of changing in the event the flight is eventually canceled.)

The airline app or website may provide a pop-up button or a link via text to make the change online, which you should do. But you also want to simultaneously get on the phone, DM the airline on Twitter (some have dedicated assistance accounts separate from their main one), and get into the chat queue on the app or website. Keep all those going until you see the change made on your itinerary on the app or the website. For extra measure, you can also physically get in line at the help desk in the terminal, or back at the check-in counter if you haven't gone through security (or are willing to go through security again). If you have lounge access, that's another good trick as those agents in the club can do just about everything. (Note that the folks at the gate often can't help you, depending on what stage the flight was at when it was canceled.) They key is to jump on that change the moment you know you need it, and get ahead of all the other folks on your flight for the most options.

Once you get an agent, they'll probably know your flight is canceled, but have your booking number ready and tell them the flight you want to jump to. Tell them you have a list, so they know you can move quickly and ask for the next option if the one they check is full. (It's to their advantage to get you rebooked quickly too, so they can move on to the next person.) BE NICE and pack your patience. Then THANK THEM for helping once you're rebooked. It's the right thing to do, but it might also get you a better seat or a complimentary upgrade or drink coupon.

Here's to everyone getting to Orlando safely and with enough time to prepare for their races!

Blizzard Beach still showing as being open at 10am on marathon day while the event guide shows all the roads leading to BB closed till 12/12:30. 🤔
They clearly have a plan. I am wondering if they can bus people in near the mini golf course or through a backstage road. I think if you are driving to BB you are likely out of luck though.

Characters can vary. Wine & Dine was the first race to have the pre and post characters back since pre-pandemic. During past marathon weekends Mickey was a given, typically the character of the race too. So Pluto would be out for the 5K, we could see Chip & Dale for the 10K, then Donald/Daisy for the half and then Mickey and Minnie for the full but they are likely there all four days. Goofy is usually at least out for the half and full days. Dopey normally all four but again can vary.
I fly a week from today and I am already nervous. What a disaster they are having.

Who's getting nervous just generally?? 🙋‍♀️
Check.
Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and my brain went AH YES, NOW IS THE TIME FOR OVERTHINKING THINGS and I spent the next hour counting gels based on potential finishing times, planning my Expo day, and calculating when the 10-day forecast would be available.
I'm not there yet, but I will be in the next few days. I already know I need to pick up some stroopwaffles from my running store on the next grocery trip. And I've been stalking the accuweather monthly forecast for over a week now.

I literally came over here to post exactly this.

I thought I was being smart this year, opting for Southwest instead of Spirit, and now this.

I leave on January 3rd from Pittsburgh, and I'm nervous about a cancelation. Do I try to book flights out of a different airport on spirit on Tuesday just in case and stay at a hotel near the airport?! Do we drive with two kids?! This is just too much.

I literally came over here to post exactly this.

I thought I was being smart this year, opting for Southwest instead of Spirit, and now this.

I leave on January 3rd from Pittsburgh, and I'm nervous about a cancelation. Do I try to book flights out of a different airport on spirit on Tuesday just in case and stay at a hotel near the airport?! Do we drive with two kids?! This is just too much.
Seemingly the vast majority of the issues are around Southwest. Other airlines have cancelations but not even close to the level of SW. I am also on 1/3 on Southwest. They say things will improve by the weekend but who knows. I have heard so many different things contributing to this.

According to an insider on Reddit, their scheduling system stopped working.
Same thread (I think) was also mentioning that things might stabilize once the main Dallas office reopens this morning. I'm hopeful. I'm going Austin to Orlando, so weather isn't a huge issue generally, but it all depends on the flights getting into Austin that are going to take me to Orlando!

A bit! I fly out on Saturday, the 31st. I haven’t received an email. I had a friend who was flying home on Christmas Day, and they’re luggage was lost. I’ve been trying to see if I can find any AirTags - because now I’m a little worried about luggage too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter