Marathon Weekend 2023

Forget 2017 and 2018 Marathon Weekends… we’re looking at a possible repeat of 2010 this weekend here in FL. ❄️ Spare a thought for us, your Floridian Internet friends, with our inadequate insulation, car engine oil, and wardrobes.
And here in Michigan we could get 12+in of snow tomorrow and into Saturday. But we're used to that sort of thing. Thinking warm thoughts for you. It's a good excuse to curl up with a hot beverage, a blanket, and a good book, right?

Forget 2017 and 2018 Marathon Weekends… we’re looking at a possible repeat of 2010 this weekend here in FL. ❄️ Spare a thought for us, your Floridian Internet friends, with our inadequate insulation, car engine oil, and wardrobes.
We are looking at a low of 15 here in Austin. I'm right there with you!

As long as we don't have a repeat of snowmeggedon of 2020 it will be ok.

I feel you. North Houston is getting lows from 15F-27F over the next 4 days. I am already seeing articles about whether or not our crappy power grid will be ok this time around. Fingers crossed. While I am happy it will actually be cold for Christmas, we are ill-prepared as a city for temps this low.

Yeah starting tonight we will be in the negatives and then they said factoring wind chill -50?!!!!! I live in Denver Colorado. My school district is still in school this week and the closed school Thursday and Friday cause of temps. That does not happen. I like cold weather over heat but that is ridiculous. So yeah I am not getting my running in... (I do not have a treadmill and the rec centers are being used as warming shelters for homeless so cannot use them). So I will just do some video workouts. I have some weights, a bosu ball, yoga mat and some bands. That will be enough.
What is crazy my parents live at a ski area, Keystone and they will be warmer than us even though they live at way higher elevation...

I feel you. North Houston is getting lows from 15F-27F over the next 4 days. I am already seeing articles about whether or not our crappy power grid will be ok this time around. Fingers crossed. While I am happy it will actually be cold for Christmas, we are ill-prepared as a city for temps this low.
I am just glad we don't have any precipitation in the forecast. Just going to be cold. Should make for a fun run on Friday morning.

I have to do ~15 miles on Saturday morning and it's going to be literally freezing 😭😭😭
I've been running in the 30s for a while, but I've never had to run in the teens... I'm thinking I'll wear a hat and gloves, and just add another layer (tights under pants, an extra shirt) and hope for the best?

Definitely jealous of all of you running in the teens. My last long run on Sunday it was -1 when I stepped out the door. It was 0 yesterday. The highest high temp we have through Friday is 2, which is today and my rest day. They are projecting windchills of -35 - -50, along with up to 10" of snow. I'm not sure I have enough layers for that.

We did that in 2018. Oh that was NOT fun.
Not fun at all!
I thought of TX and the power grid as I looked at the national forecast this morning - thinking good thoughts for all y’all over there!
Yeah starting tonight we will be in the negatives and then they said factoring wind chill -50?!!!!!
I grew up in western NY, which is known for cold and snow, right? But I have never in my life experienced anything like -50 - I cannot even imagine! Is there a cutoff: like, does everything below -20 feel the same?!

My biggest issue with the cold is living in a circa-1979 concrete building with single-pane, floor-to-ceiling windows covering the longest walls in my condo: it’s shocking how much colder it feels with my thermostat set at 68 than my friend’s home up north with triple-pane windows and thick insulation, with her thermostat set at 65. I’ll be pulling out the once-every-few-years flannel sheets lol!

I've been running in the 30s for a while, but I've never had to run in the teens... I'm thinking I'll wear a hat and gloves, and just add another layer (tights under pants, an extra shirt) and hope for the best?
My biggest challenge running in the teens and single digits is length of time. An hour is fine, but two to three hours and my lungs get irritated because of how dry the air gets (at least here in Colorado). The biggest variable I find with layers is whether you will have wind or not. You want the outer layer to create a good air gap with the mid layer, but still be a breathable material. And I always throw in hand warmers in my gloves if its single digits

My biggest challenge running in the teens and single digits is length of time. An hour is fine, but two to three hours and my lungs get irritated because of how dry the air gets (at least here in Colorado). The biggest variable I find with layers is whether you will have wind or not. You want the outer layer to create a good air gap with the mid layer, but still be a breathable material. And I always throw in hand warmers in my gloves if its single digits
You are speaking a foreign language to me. Different fabrics for different layers? Hand warmers? This is all witchcraft to me. 🥶

Thankfully these will be ~1-hour runs, and I'm pretty good with temps in the 30s (shorts and a single-layer long-sleeve shirt are fine once I'm warmed up). We'll see how it goes!

I’m jealous of everyone who can run outside! The plows do such a terrible job in my neighborhood that I can’t risk running outside. I don’t let the cold stop me, but slippery snow is a whole different beast.
I don't deal with ice and snow often being in Texas, but I won't go near it! Just my luck I would slip and fall and break something right before a race!

Great thing about training in upstate NY is I've had training runs where my water bottle started to freeze.
My water froze on me on Sunday and totally took me by surprise. I should have known that water will in fact freeze when it’s 20 below freezing but for some reason it hadn’t crossed my mind 😆. I don’t plan to find out how quickly it will freeze with this cold snap the next few days, treadmill it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter