Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: Depends on the type of run.
If I'm running outside:
Tempo runs and non-Disney races -My specific 10+hr race playlist on spotify with high tempo songs I like.
Rundisney races - My rundisney playlist with only high tempo Disney songs
Easy/long runs - Audiobooks or podcasts. Typical podcasts of late are either Greatest Generation (a humorous Star Trek review podcast) and Musicalsplaining (Broadway musical reviews by one musical veteran and one person who dislikes most musicals.) I look like an absolute lunatic on my runs, seemingly giggling at random as I listen to these podcasts.

SAFD:

I run with music/podcasts when I run alone. When I'm with others (I'm almost always with others) I listen to nothing.

My podcast of choice is always My Favorite Murder.

For music, I've listened to an excellent Taylor Swift Running playlist. I also like show tunes and have a playlist I created of my favorites.
I’m gonna need that playlist. 👀

SAFD: Almost always nothing. I like to take in the sounds of the environment when I am outside. The last time I used headphones was when 2021 Dopey was virtual and knew I would need something to get through the last day completing the marathon. On the treadmill at the gym, I usually just watch whatever is on the tvs regardless if they have subtitles on or not lol

SAFD: I will often run while listening to something - usually it is a playlist of Disney music that I've put together (a mix of park music, movie music, and a few things that remind me of specific RunDisney moments I've had). Sometimes I do switch over to listening to podcasts, and in those cases it is always Dear Hank and John

SAFD: I’m another no headphones runner. This started pretty close to when I started running, and my running group changed to have pace groups. Our little pace group talked the for our entire long runs, and ever since then I run without audio.
Half of my runs during the week are pre-dawn and I like to be really aware of my surroundings and I may be running with friends and we talk. Even the runs without people, I am used to no audio, so it is easy for me! On the treadmill most of the time I will listen to the iFit trainer or I will mute them and watch TV. Pre-treadmill (which was right before the pandemic- Jan ‘20), I would go to the YMCA and run around the indoor track on bad weather days - that would be the only time I would listen to a podcast. (One of my regular Y’s recently was hit by a tornado! 🥺)

SAFD: I used to run with airpods to listen to music, but about 3 or 4 months before this year's MW I ditched them. I knew I didn't want to to run with them during the the MW runs because I wanted to be able to experience all the sounds during the runs. Ever since then I have never worn the airpods again. It is now just enjoying the sounds around me and a million thoughts that go through my head. Solving all the world's problems during my run. LOL. But I actually do have time to think about things and make decisions while running. Makes it nice since I can knock out two birds with one stone and free up time for other things.

I will say this: if you're working on tackling your first marathon and you are not a "fast" runner, be VERY SELECTIVE with your running podcasts. I tried a couple and the overarching theme that I got out them were that marathons should ONLY be done by people who have been running for YEARS, have done X number of races already, be running 30+miles/wk at a minimum, and are going to be RACING the distance. The notion that someone might want to do a marathon to just *finish* it never entered their conversations. I was so turned off by those podcasts and it really made me doubt myself for a while. The Disney-based ones seem to be a lot less elite-ist about the marathon distance.

Indeed, good advice.

It'd be nice to find some "average" runner podcasts that don't do 6min/mile runs.

SAFD: Not anymore. I used to run with music or podcasts on every run, but I realized the importance of awareness during races, and I struggle with that when I'm wearing headphones. So I gradually practiced a few training runs without headphones, and now I don't wear them at all anymore. I enjoy the sounds of the city and everything going on around me these days.

I’ll add, I’m a one earbud person. I’m paranoid about being aware of what is going on around me. I can’t even wear two earbuds when I’m at home by myself on the couch. I know it detracts from the audio experience but I get anxiety about the noises I’m not hearing.

I’ll add, I’m a one earbud person. I’m paranoid about being aware of what is going on around me. I can’t even wear two earbuds when I’m at home by myself on the couch. I know it detracts from the audio experience but I get anxiety about the noises I’m not hearing.

Have you looked at Shokz/Aftershokz? They're the only thing I'll run with. Keeping the ears free for environmental awareness is a huge plus for safety.

Have you looked at Shokz/Aftershokz? They're the only thing I'll run with. Keeping the ears free for environmental awareness is a huge plus for safety.
I’m slow to adapt and one earbud has always done the job so I haven’t really looked into bone conduction models. It’s a good shout though; they’d probably be perfect for my preferences when I’m running (or mowing the lawn).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter