Marathon Weekend 2023

Good news: Everest is re-opening in August!

Edit: jk, idk where I got August from. It opened today! This is the ride people do during the Marathon right?
One of them! There are several rides that are doable during the full. One negative of the 5am start vs the old 5:30 is now its not really doable to do any rides during any of the halfs like it used to be.

It is possibly returning to an ILL instead of regular Genie+ in August, that might have been what you saw.

So if I sign up for the three races separately, 5k 10k and half, do I try to do that in one transaction? Or should I use multiple devices and do one race on each?

So if I sign up for the three races separately, 5k 10k and half, do I try to do that in one transaction? Or should I use multiple devices and do one race on each?
Depends.

If you must do all 3 or none, then you might as well do it via one transaction. If you are ok with one or two of the races selling out but still being able to do one, then you can register for each race separately in the order of which ever ones are higher priority for you.

Good news: Everest is re-opening in August!

Edit: jk, idk where I got August from. It opened today! This is the ride people do during the Marathon right?

That's one of them, and the trickiest one to get to now with the 5am start, depending on your pace of course. Riding ToT and RnRC are much easier because they're later in the race and open by the time many runners pass through DHS.

After telling myself 2022 would be one and done for Dopey I think I’ve convinced myself to try to register for Dopey again in 23. I’m running a half in May and I’m on track in my training to run it at about 2 hours. The 2:15 POT cutoff has taken a little pressure off of having to come in under 2.

now the registration stress starts.

After telling myself 2022 would be one and done for Dopey I think I’ve convinced myself to try to register for Dopey again in 23. I’m running a half in May and I’m on track in my training to run it at about 2 hours. The 2:15 POT cutoff has taken a little pressure off of having to come in under 2.

now the registration stress starts.
That was my DW after her first Dopey.

Right after the race "I'm glad I did that, but I don't want to do that again."

3 Days later: "I kinda miss Dopey"

The next year, during the Marathon: "What did I get myself into???"

Okay, I’ve settled on 10K and marathon. Both anniversaries, right? Likely to go quickly? How do I do this?! 10 first, then full? I do technically have both phone and laptop, but my phone has historically been slower to work through the queue than the laptop.
Quoting myself as I circle back to say NM: it only took one hot summer-ish (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! not even close to what summer will actually bring!) 5-miler to remind me why I wanted a year off from long distances, lol! Half. No marathon. I need a break. :)

I just bought a bunch of running tank tops to use for Marathon Weekend so we are virtually guaranteed cool/cold races. This is your first weather report for race weekend. :umbrella:

(And a rain coat suitable for long distance running is the next thing on my shopping list. If anyone has a suggestion of one that won't cost me a vital organ, I'm listening)

Edited to add: I need a women's jacket available in XL or preferably XXL.

Last edited:
I just bought a bunch of running tank tops to use for Marathon Weekend so we are virtually guaranteed cool/cold races. This is your first weather report for race weekend. :umbrella:

(And a rain coat suitable for long distance running is the next thing on my shopping list. If anyone has a suggestion of one that won't cost me a vital organ, I'm listening)

My go to running in the rain jackets are currently the Outdoor Research Boost (no hood) and Tantrum II (hooded). Both do a really good job in light rain, are breathable, and block the wind nicely. I've also got an Arc'teryx Incendo hooded jacket that I have high hopes for, but haven't had opportunity to use yet.

Its been 3 years since I registered for an event (Dopey2020) Any tips for registration day, do I need to be logged into my account, should I try to log on early or should I just click on the Dopey link and go from there?

Its been 3 years since I registered for an event (Dopey2020) Any tips for registration day, do I need to be logged into my account, should I try to log on early or should I just click on the Dopey link and go from there?

Last week's weekly discussion question was all about registration. Scroll back a few pages and you’ll find many posts with tips and advice.

SAFD:

Good morning, and Happy Easter for those who celebrate it! It is time for today’s Sundays Are For Disney Question:

When you get home from a trip to Disney do you unpack and move on quickly or do you draw out the trip in some way or another once you are home? If so, what do you do?

My Answer: I start mourning the end of a Disney trip when I am still in the parks! So when I get home I do try to hold onto the trip. I tend to be the last in my family to take off my wristband. I usually bring home some type of treat (or two…) to snack on. But for me the most important thing I do is make sure I have another trip planned or at least on the calendar. Oh, and I start our ”going to Disney in ___ days” countdown. We are currently at 55 days to our trip to Disneyland!

SAFD:

Good morning, and Happy Easter for those who celebrate it! It is time for today’s Sundays Are For Disney Question:

When you get home from a trip to Disney do you unpack and move on quickly or do you draw out the trip in some way or another once you are home? If so, what do you do?

My Answer: I start mourning the end of a Disney trip when I am still in the parks! So when I get home I do try to hold onto the trip. I tend to be the last in my family to take off my wristband. I usually bring home some type of treat (or two…) to snack on. But for me the most important thing I do is make sure I have another trip planned or at least on the calendar. Oh, and I start our ”going to Disney in ___ days” countdown. We are currently at 55 days to our trip to Disneyland!

Same! Gotta have something to look forward to in order to transition out of trip mode.

My friend and I have a little disney podcast, so we'll recap every trip we take as an episode. That marks the official end period of a trip for me - it's a nice way to preserve the memories, and much easier for me to commit to over writing a full trip report.

SAFD: Well, I certainly don’t unpack right away! (That’s not Disney specific though…) 😂

I do find that I operate best in my mental health when I have something tangible to look forward to, so I’ll usually plan another trip— Disney or not. I honestly think I need to let go of Disney a little bit right now because I have been a bit obsessive about planning upcoming trip(s). I’m hoping have MW set in stone will allow me to shift my attention to other things for awhile (which will hopefully prevent burnout by the time 2023 comes).

I also haven’t really done a real trip to Disney that isn’t a day trip or MW-focused in my adult life (my bachelorette party was at Disney but only one day/night). I would love to plan a trip like that and am kind of sad because there’s a great deal for Saratoga Springs through RCI this summer (which my in-laws have), but my stepson’s mom is taking him to Disney right after it so it would be rude of us to take him there right before her trip. Lol this got off topic sorry.

Sundays Are For Disney Question:

Like others, I am ALWAYS planning (well, more dreaming) about my next trip to somewhere when we get home from a vacation. This is not specific to Disney. I will make overly-detailed spreadsheets and then think of all the ways I can whittle away at the cost and document those as well. DH and I like to resort hop and look at all of the "stuff" different places have to offer and then add ones that we liked to our list of places to consider. When we do beach vacations we will make a list of the buildings in an area we like to check on pricing for another year. I totally wore my marathon-finisher ear hat home on the plane this year. DH didn't take his magicband off until we got home.

And this might sound crazy, but I like to come home with my laundry clean (except for maybe like 1.5 days of stuff) whenever possible because ending a vacation and immediately facing multiple loads of laundry (big family, so lots of clothes) is an absolutely AWFUL way for me to re-enter "real life."

but I like to come home with my laundry clean (except for maybe like 1.5 days of stuff) whenever possible
I never do laundry at the hotel but having the option to do this when I stay with my parents is AMAZING! Especially since they live in a ranch. (I have to walk down two floors for laundry at my house since it’s in the basement).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter