• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2021

Please note: What I’m about to state is my own personal preference in regards to myself and my own running goals. I in no way mean to offend anyone that might think differently.

I briefly considered registering for Dopey, one of the marathons, or the Castaway Cay Challenge. Then I decided that those medals wouldn’t mean the same to me. The sense of accomplishment wouldn’t be there. I don’t expect to ever get a chance to run Dopey or the Castaway Challenge in-person (but you never know). And, I want my first (and most likely only) marathon to be an in-person race. So I went for the Princess 10K. Rapunzel is one of my favorites and I’ve run enough in-person 5Ks and 10Ks by now that I’m good with virtual races in those distances. I briefly considered the Princess half because I love Belle, but I’ve ’only’ run 2 HMs in-person. So I felt like that wasn’t a good idea right now either.
DH has recently started running again and let me sign him up for the 5k. I’m excited he’s willing to run something since he originally said he wasn’t running ANY races unless they were a mile or less. He prefers short and fast to my long and steady. The boys are signed up for the kids dash - they chose based on medal design and not distance.

We have a trip planned for May and will probably take our medals then, with hopes of being able to get them signed. We sadly realize meet-n-greets may not be happening even come May, but we hope for the best.

I've been going back and forth on whether to do the princess races or maybe the marathon weekend half, but I think I'm gonna sit it out. After doing the summer virtual series, I think I'm a little over virtual at the moment. I try my best to make the virtual a little different than a normal run (not that that's necessary, just how I play it) and figuring that out on top of work and life was a lot. So I think I'm taking a break from virtual ... but if they haven't sold out as it gets closer I might reconsider.

Anyway ... I'm super excited to see people's medals once they start to arrive (I know, it's gonna be a while)

Heartbroken about the decision to go virtual - I really thought they would wait until late October to make the call. Since I got the news, I have been going back and forth about what to do. I am usually a hard no about virtual races, but this one really means a lot to me and the thought of doing a virtual 26.2 truly scares me - which means I should totally do it, right??
I've got an underused AP, a DVC reservation, and a super cheap roundtrip plane ticket so I am still going to go to WDW that weekend and take my medals for photos and fun.
Planning to do my virtual Goofy New Year's weekend - what an epic way to bid stupid 2020 goodbye, and ring in what will hopefully be a better year!

Thanks @Sleepless Knight! Good info. Fortunately/unfortunately I don’t have to worry about character stops this time. 😭

Talked to wife when I got home and we decided to go for it. Since it’s all virtual, I signed myself up for the Disney World 5k and her for the Castaway Cay 5k so we get different medals and shirts. Who knows, maybe we’ll do the 5k after we check into AoA on the 7th. Haven’t stayed there, so we’ll probably want to check out all the cool features there and Pop anyway.
Going to be different for sure.
Then I decided that those medals wouldn’t mean the same to me. The sense of accomplishment wouldn’t be there. I don’t expect to ever get a chance to run Dopey or the Castaway Challenge in-person (but you never know). And, I want my first (and most likely only) marathon to be an in-person race.
For what it's worth, I think your post came across as applying only to your feelings so I understood your meaning. Virtual races is going to vary from runner to runner. I don't mind virtual and have done a few because I really liked the medals, but the energy is very different for obvious reasons.
I've been going back and forth on whether to do the princess races or maybe the marathon weekend half, but I think I'm gonna sit it out. After doing the summer virtual series, I think I'm a little over virtual at the moment. I try my best to make the virtual a little different than a normal run (not that that's necessary, just how I play it) and figuring that out on top of work and life was a lot. So I think I'm taking a break from virtual ... but if they haven't sold out as it gets closer I might reconsider.

Anyway ... I'm super excited to see people's medals once they start to arrive (I know, it's gonna be a while)
I'm currently thinking about different ways to really have some fun with the virtual races I signed up for. And although they don't know it yet, my nephews are doing the kids races virtually and I have all sorts of things in the works for that event.

When it gets closer maybe we can figure out meeting up on Disney property to run our races (for those of us who are still going to try to be there). I’m not a very fast runner, but I’d love a running partner if I’m going to try to tackle a virtual half on property.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I've decided against doing any virtual races (and maybe they're all sold out by now anyway). I don't fault a single person for going the virtual route and some people on here now how much I've gone back and forth on the issue.

It came down to a few things for me (not that anyone is particularly interested in my thoughts):
- Without Disney requiring proof that I actually ran which I signed up for, it really just feels like buying a medal.
- If I'm going to support a virtual race, I think I want at least part of that registration fee to go to charity or keeping a smaller race running another year. Disney doesn't offer either, as far as I know.
- Disney has gotten enough of my money for in-person events. They'll get more once those events resume.
- This will (hopefully) force me to find the motivation to run that doesn't involve spending $60 or more for a race.

I'm really proud of everyone who is doing these. If I had a little more financial flexibility, I'd consider doing any combination of races just so I could say I've done Castaway Cay or the the princess races. I'd love to give the medals to my girls. It just doesn't make sense for me right now.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I've decided against doing any virtual races (and maybe they're all sold out by now anyway). I don't fault a single person for going the virtual route and some people on here now how much I've gone back and forth on the issue.

It came down to a few things for me (not that anyone is particularly interested in my thoughts):
- Without Disney requiring proof that I actually ran which I signed up for, it really just feels like buying a medal.
- If I'm going to support a virtual race, I think I want at least part of that registration fee to go to charity or keeping a smaller race running another year. Disney doesn't offer either, as far as I know.
- Disney has gotten enough of my money for in-person events. They'll get more once those events resume.
- This will (hopefully) force me to find the motivation to run that doesn't involve spending $60 or more for a race.

I'm really proud of everyone who is doing these. If I had a little more financial flexibility, I'd consider doing any combination of races just so I could say I've done Castaway Cay or the the princess races. I'd love to give the medals to my girls. It just doesn't make sense for me right now.

None of the races are sold out yet. I’m starting a pool on when you give in and register for the marathon...

Now, on to more important things than me overthinking virtual races ...

Are we continuing this thread through the Marathon Weekend dates and, if so, do you all want to continue with SAFD?

It’s SAFD, not SAFMW. I suggest keeping them going here until the event date passes and the moving them over to the 2022 thread. Let’s keep the feel going for those of us doing the virtuals.

I don't particularly like virtual races either, but did a couple so far for fun. Im doing these races cause I want to keep my personal Dopey streak alive, though I don't count my Virtual marathon towards my counts.. only did virtual NYC so far.

also running these virtually just to stick it to the Corona... screw that damn flu and how it ruined our year and lives

When it gets closer maybe we can figure out meeting up on Disney property to run our races (for those of us who are still going to try to be there). I’m not a very fast runner, but I’d love a running partner if I’m going to try to tackle a virtual half on property.
After signing up for the 5k yesterday, I found a site to plot a route, so I came up with a plan that lets us explore basically all the main walking paths in the AoA, Pop, Hour Glass Lake campus, so I've decided to call it the "Disney Art of Animation Pop Century Hour Glass Lake 5k Fun Run/Walk" We'll probably do this the night we get in.

Anyway, here's my path for anyone else doing the 5k that wants to do something similar.

https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/viewMap.php?route=161683

Are we continuing this thread through the Marathon Weekend dates and, if so, do you all want to continue with SAFD?
I say yes to both. For one thing continuing this specific thread allows those who did go virtual to continue to share triumphs and struggles and just help motivate each other as we try to get through this wherever we are all over the world. #VirtualGoofTroop I had no plans to register for marathon weekend 2021 at all but stayed involved in this thread because I really appreciate this community and have enjoyed SAFD for 2 years now and counting. Plus I need motivation to properly do the virtual 26.2 I am now registered for instead of going for something like 26.2 in 6 days which would be much easier.
None of the races are sold out yet. I’m starting a pool on when you give in and register for the marathon...
Once he does can we call it #Rogue2.5?

I say yes to keeping the thread going through MW. Those like me that have been forced out of the virtual option by living outside the Continental US would love to keep "lurking" on the conversation for those that can still take part. I would love to cheer all of you on! ...and continue to explore the SAFD questions.

As for After MW, there is already a thread started for 2020. I would suggest hopping there when the date passes... :D

Just a thought...Why not make SAFD it's own thread? This way others can join in who are not on the marathon thread, it will stand out more, and it will keep the 2022 thread about news/events that are happening with the marathon?

But either way it would be cool to continue it...

I say yes to keeping the thread going through MW. Those like me that have been forced out of the virtual option by living outside the Continental US would love to keep "lurking" on the conversation for those that can still take part. I would love to cheer all of you on! ...and continue to explore the SAFD questions.

As for After MW, there is already a thread started for 2020. I would suggest hopping there when the date passes... :D
If you really wanted to run the virtuals, there are services that will provide you with a US mailing address and then they will send the package to you in Canada.

Last edited:

It's almost as if you know how indecisive I am...

Just a thought...Why not make SAFD it's own thread? This way others can join in who are not on the marathon thread, it will stand out more, and it will keep the 2022 thread about news/events that are happening with the marathon?

Once upon a time, there was a SAFD thread, but it was short-lived. I think doing it on the marathon threads (this is the third or fourth year it's been done) keeps it going because there's a baked-in crowed of veterans who have done SAFD in the past and that leads to the "newbies" joining in.

In a way, SAFD keeps the thread "bumped" so people can find it easier. During the "lull" times, if it wasn't for the weekly question, the thread might move to page 2.

I say keep this thread going, I think there's still meetups that people want to do. DATW, maybe the HH meet up, as well. For those of us still going, we can post small updates. I do love seeing what you guys get for ADRs while there!

After MW, then we can move full time to 2022

Edit: typos

Last edited:
Ironically, FL's move to Phase 3 today would allow WDW to hold races according to official reopening guidelines. WDW hasn't followed the state's guidelines from the start, and I'm sure they knew this was coming - I think it points to wanting the decision to cancel Marathon and PHM weekends to be done before the announcement from the governor.

I vote we keep SAFD on the 2021 thread. It is such a great place for community. We can continue to share and celebrate each other’s accomplishments with the virtual races. Those going to DW can share so the rest of us can live vicariously through you!

I am settled into running the virtual Dopey, but also sad. This thread is as close as we can get to the “normal” experiences as MW approaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter