Marathon Weekend 2020

Wow! Love the choice between pink and blue mickey/minnie for the marathon. Wish they still did the course map on the back though!

Do we think the shirt we get with registration will be pink/Minnie for women's sizes and blue/Mickey for men's? I was a women's XXL for the Princess Half but I fervently hate women's sized shirts as they are always so small on me (I'm normally just a large).

I thought I was being smart by putting down a Men's Large for my size on the registration, but now I worry I will be noticeably wearing the men's shirt :/

For the record, at 1:25 pm on Sunday, January 13th I texted DH that it was 79* with a real feel of 81*. Data would have been according to the Weather Channel app.

I was sitting on the bus, waiting to go back to AKL at that point.
I remember looking at my watch shortly after I finished at 11:50 am and it said 77 degrees.

I have been thinking back to some of the warmest runs I have done this past year. 93 and humid before sunrise in Arizona last July (it was monsoon season) and 77 and humid at dawn in WDW before Wine & Dine. I keep telling myself that as long as I slow down and hydrate properly, I can do this!

Probably the biggest thing I got out of the preview:

The jackets with sayings for the races are finally back! I’ve been missing these for so long this makes me giddy.

Probably one of my biggest regrets has been never being able to get my hands on the 2015 Version of the jacket since I was only doing the full. I finally get to have a jacket with this on it of my own. And this looks like a mesh of my two favorites. The 2015 one and the 2016 one that I wear everywhere.

It’s funny I was so distracted at first by the way the Dopey/Goofy preview felt just thrown together as an after thought I almost missed it.

Also I need those Minnie ears.

Do we think the shirt we get with registration will be pink/Minnie for women's sizes and blue/Mickey for men's? I was a women's XXL for the Princess Half but I fervently hate women's sized shirts as they are always so small on me (I'm normally just a large).

I thought I was being smart by putting down a Men's Large for my size on the registration, but now I worry I will be noticeably wearing the men's shirt :/

They have shirt size exchange. I dropped from an XL to a M between registration and my second Dumbo due to weight loss after having the sleeve and had to swap my shirts because of it. It’s not that difficult to swap.

I'm curious to know this too, how warm is too warm? Looking at historical temps, this is on track to be similar to the 2013 Marathon. For those who ran that one, how was it?

2013 was my first Goofy, and it was the hottest of 7 Marathon Weekends I've attended. Last year was hot, but not as bad as 2013. The stretch from the Mile 20 Spectacular to the entry of DHS was a slog. With the new course, I'm not quite sure where to expect the pain to show up :)

I distinctly remember quite a few people throwing up late in the race (I ran around a 4:15 marathon). Remember that over-hydrating isn't good for your body either. As soon as the sun was up, I started with two cups of water at every aid station. One for my mouth and one for my head. Salt tabs/packets are also a good thing, if you've tried them in training before.

With the new course, I'm not quite sure where to expect the pain to show up :)
I’m hoping the combination of the earlier start and changes to the back half of the course (more shade? and less highway) will help.

Sorry if I missed it while this thread was flying by, but has anyone found the USATF map yet for the marathon? My searches don't show it. The course wasn't certified until very late last year, so I'm probably too early.

I’m hoping the combination of the earlier start and changes to the back half of the course (more shade? and less highway) will help.

I see the real slog being in two places: from 19-21 on Western Way heading into the sun toward Blizzard Beach, and 22-23 on Buena Vista going to DHS. They’re not as open as Osceola but open enough to the hot sun to make life miserable if it turns out to be an 80-degree day.

I see the real slog being in two places: from 19-21 on Western Way heading into the sun toward Blizzard Beach, and 22-23 on Buena Vista going to DHS. They’re not as open as Osceola but open enough to the hot sun to make life miserable if it turns out to be an 80-degree day.

I'm with you. I liked the distraction of all the twists and turns in WWoS (maybe because I like trail running). I think that largely straight/exposed stretch from AK to Blizzard Beach is going to be a mental and physical challenge.

My thoughts exactly, and I’ll add the BB parking lot to that, unless it has a little shade. So. Much. Hot. Asphalt. I figure I’ll hit all that around 10:30-11am. Good times.

I'm curious to know this too, how warm is too warm? Looking at historical temps, this is on track to be similar to the 2013 Marathon. For those who ran that one, how was it?

https://www.findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=Walt Disney World Marathon&year=
I ran in 2013. I distinctly remember just exiting the speedway as the sun was starting to come over the trees and saying to myself that I was about to get baked. It made the Osceola stretch feel even more dreadful. Worse I remember being motivated to just get to the promised "20 mile spectacular" for the anniversary so was completely deflated when it turned out to be just those giant puppet things. All that being said, yes it was hot and certainly not my fastest marathon, but wasn't so bad that I would have expected them to think about cancelling it.
It was hot, but not cancel hot. I’ve run much hotter races (actually Disneyland Half 2013 was a Hi95 Lo77, granted humidity at 54% wasn’t FL awful, but it wasn’t a dry heat either). Coincidentally I had a Hot Yoga membership while I was training for the 2013 Marathon, so I felt pretty good compared to my other back-of-pack runners in the sun. It was my first marathon (which I said I’d never do) and a friend convinced me to sign up with her because of the promises of the “20 Mile Spectacular.” As @GuinnessRunner noted, they really oversold that. I still can’t believe that was marketed 6+ months ahead of time as a selling point to sign up! Our planned pace was slow and by the time we got to ESPN, it had to be after 11am, the sun was killer, and I was just playing coach to help her get through.

I hydrated and fueled well before and during the race, but I did not understand how much I needed to replenish AFTER the race. 3 days after the marathon I was stuck in my hotel room all day after waking up at the crack of dawn to :crazy2:. So, my advice is to start hydrating and electrolyte intake now and continue it several days after the race. Insta-cart is delivering pineapple juice and coconut water to my room:woohoo:

Back at ya! From DopeyBadger's list I see that you (@FawnJD ), @baxter24 , @DerTobi75 ,@TCB in FLA , @disneygpa and I are all in corral D and have a 10-11 minute target pace. Maybe we can all stick together between the 4:30 and 4:45 pace groups.
Sure, sounds good. Hope, I am able to run that pace after the half ;)

Omg, found out today our hotel closes the pool on monday for two weeks! Maybe we change the hotel early next week 🙄

It looks like the marathon route goes between the TTC guest drop-off lot and the TTC monorail station. My wife is planning to uber to the TTC to see me at mile 9. Will she then be able to cross the marathon route to take the monorail to the GF for mile 12?

DD15 and I are scheduled to leave Fri am. Dh dislikes Disney and refuses to go again. After watching a Galaxys edge video the other day he said he wouldn’t mind going.
So after draining my Southwest points, changing our rental to a minivan and cancelling California Grill for Crystal Palace our trip of 2 has become a trip of 5.

I am so excited to take the little kids but dreading the misery that comes along with it. Pushing double stroller in crowds, meltdowns,etc. But seeing my 5 year olds face in Galaxys edge is going to be worth it!

It looks like the marathon route goes between the TTC guest drop-off lot and the TTC monorail station. My wife is planning to uber to the TTC to see me at mile 9. Will she then be able to cross the marathon route to take the monorail to the GF for mile 12?

She could walk from TTC through Poly on paths to GF (< 1 mile) or Floridian Way (~.5 mile). Might be easier/faster than the monorail (not sure what its operating schedule is like that day)

As I watch the weather forecast temperatures climb, I have some "well, better laugh about it" thoughts....

1. It will make my packing lighter--shorts, charity singlet, no fleecy toss clothes.
2. It reduces my anxiety about how my body will react temp-wise to stopping/restarting during a race for characters, etc. No need to worry about getting chilled.
3. Salted Caramel Gu is what I have chosen as race fuel. Because it's yummy and it has added sodium, which won't hurt.

So yeah, that's what I am thinking. I also did Goofy 2013, but since I ended up aggravating my IT band after the half, I spent the full run/walking trying to ignore pain. On the plus side, I guess I blanked on the heat!

So anyone want to add to the list? Let's find the humor.

Speaking of stopping for characters, I’ll look like a ghost with all the sunscreen I’ll need to lather on. So I’ll have to make sure I get a picture with the gravediggers.

Thoughts on riding rides; will Splash Mountain or the rapids ride in AK be open when we run through them? Or might they even have a pool at Blizzard Beach running? Because getting soaked in cold water is looking like a huge plus.

with how humid it’ll be, can I count this as a duathlon, what with all the swimming we’ll be doing?

As I watch the weather forecast temperatures climb, I have some "well, better laugh about it" thoughts....

1. It will make my packing lighter--shorts, charity singlet, no fleecy toss clothes.
2. It reduces my anxiety about how my body will react temp-wise to stopping/restarting during a race for characters, etc. No need to worry about getting chilled.
3. Salted Caramel Gu is what I have chosen as race fuel. Because it's yummy and it has added sodium, which won't hurt.

So yeah, that's what I am thinking. I also did Goofy 2013, but since I ended up aggravating my IT band after the half, I spent the full run/walking trying to ignore pain. On the plus side, I guess I blanked on the heat!

So anyone want to add to the list? Let's find the humor.

4. It's a good chance to field test your socks' claim of being moisture wicking and blister resistant
5. 25,000 person wet t-shirt contest

On the serious side of the heat and humidity, I am glad I brought my skin cooler top and arm sleeves with me. The top has three pockets down the spine, perfect for stashing a wet sponge :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter