Marathon Weekend 2020

For the Full, Me and Mike will be cheering from the path on the side of BWV. Find us for a special fuel stop, I’ll try to post a picture of our sign before the race.

What time do you think you'll start cheering? The first DIS runners come through around 7:40am, but the majority don't start coming through until 8:30am.

Question: Looking like I'll finish in the range of 8:20-8:30 for the half. Debating whether to futz around at the finish for a bit and head to the Epcot entrance for park opening to take a leisurely stroll back to the hotel to change (we're at Boardwalk) and try to grab a champagne reward on the way back to the hotel before coming back to the park again. Or should I hop on the bus back to the resort to grab a shower and then just head back to the park later?

Which would you do if your finish timing was that close but still before park opening? I Should add my husband will have already finished his race by a good half hour and will already be waiting for me at the finish line too.

(Note: I'll probably be tired, but I'm not the type who is so beat I can't walk around)

If you finish at 8:20-8:30am, then it'll probably take some time to even walk to the EPCOT entrance anyways. By the time you got there you may even get in with the "pre" crowd.

Ok character text groups - we've done this for for multiple race weekends now so some of you will be familiar with it. Basically for the half and the full I'll text out where the characters are on the course as I get to them. You can then plan which ones you want to try to stop for. I start out of A so I'm able to get out ahead a bit and hopefully get the information to you in a useful time frame. The one hitch for me is AT&T has a weird text group limitation and it affects how many can be in the group. But I guess if this something you're interested in, shoot me a PM and we'll see how many we have this year. Please let me know the following:

Name
Phone Number
Type of phone
Do you mind being a group that texts/chats a lot all race weekend or if you prefer a "just give me the characters" group.
Is there a just give me the characters for a single race? I am only running the marathon, so I don't need to know characters for the other races.

We’ve started this, might as well keep it going:

12/29/19 AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 69°/53° Sunny
Thu 1/9 - 74°/58° Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 77°/59° Sun then clouds
Sat 1/11 - 78°/61° Cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 78°/61° Cloudy

12/29/19 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 66°/56° Mostly sunny
Thu 1/9 - 70°/61° Partly cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 75°/63° Mostly cloudy
Sat 1/11 - 78°/64° Partly cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 77°/64° Partly cloudy

12/28/19 AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 74°/56° Partly sunny
Thu 1/9 - 74°/56° Times of sun and clouds
Fri 1/10 - 75°/56° Times of sun and clouds
Sat 1/11 - 76°/52° Partly sunny
Sun 1/12 - 70°/50° Cloudy

12/28/19 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 71°/58° Partly cloudy
Thu 1/9 - 74°/60° AM showers
Fri 1/10 - 75°/61° AM showers
Sat 1/11 - 74°/60° AM showers

Haven't been on in awhile. Finally caught up.
Sorry for the late info @DopeyBadger :

RACE - 5K
NAME - Alex
DIS'er Name - sullymom
Costume/Clothing - TBD
Corral - TBA
Pre Race Meet Up - yes
Early/Late - Early
Front/Middle/Back - Front/Middle
Expected Pace: 13:30 min/mile

RACE - 10K
NAME - Alex
DIS'er Name - sullymom
Costume/Clothing - TBD
Corral - TBA
Pre Race Meet Up - yes
Early/Late - Early

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Alex
DIS'er Name - sullymom
Costume/Clothing - TBD
Corral - F
Pre Race Meet Up - yes
Early/Late - Early

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Alex
DIS'er Name - sullymom
Costume/Clothing - TBD
Corral - F
Pre Race Meet Up - yes
Early/Late - Early
Expected Pace: 12:30 min/mile

Getting very excited for Dopey. Can't wait to run, meet new people and definitely DATW.

I am also keeping a close eye on the weather. However I am more worried about how CTs weather looks. Right now they are saying rain/snow starting Friday when we leave. If it is still looking like a chance of snow at this time next week I might switch to the late Thursday night flight. That means paying another night at a hotel and extra day of car rental. The worst part though would be that my 5 and 2 year kids would be awake when I leave. They don’t know I’m going to Disney without them.

I’m worried about New England weather too - trying not to pay too close attention yet, but I’ve been worried about it since I booked flights months ago!

since I’m doing a Mary poppins themed outfit, I’m hoping for anything Mary poppins related! Last year I was excited for Remy - but my photopass photo never came through! Otherwise - I’ll just see what comes along!

I’m worried about New England weather too - trying not to pay too close attention yet, but I’ve been worried about it since I booked
I normally avoid flying in winter because I don’t want to stress about flights from CT. I was already nervous enough about flying Frontier - so much so that I booked a backup flight on Southwest with points so I can cancel and get them all back if Frontier actually takes off. I’m flying out Wednesday the 8th - I really hope we all avoid bad weather!

I normally avoid flying in winter because I don’t want to stress about flights from CT. I was already nervous enough about flying Frontier - so much so that I booked a backup flight on Southwest with points so I can cancel and get them all back if Frontier actually takes off. I’m flying out Wednesday the 8th - I really hope we all avoid bad weather!

We are on Frontier too - only one flight a day from PVD. Definitely a risk! But fingers are crossed!

SAFD: I plan to stop at most characters. I would really like Mickey and his pal in their coach/sports costumes. Pluto and Chip’n’Dale would please my DD at the 5k. Maleficient would be a nice bonus for me although I am not dressed as her for any of the races this time. Surprise me nicely runDisney!

After our flight from Hartford and flights from all nearby airports were canceled in 2018 and we had to scramble, rent a car and nearly drive all the way to FL in a snowstorm (we drove to DC and we were able to get out from there the next day), we now try to book back up flights for marathon weekend. It is pretty easy to book/cancel on Southwest using points. Last year we had no weather issues and I promptly canceled my backup flights as soon as we landed. This year our flight is on Monday night with a backup on Tuesday.

We’ve started this, might as well keep it going:

12/29/19 AccuWeather:

Wed 1/8 - 69°/53° Sunny
Thu 1/9 - 74°/58° Cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 77°/59° Sun then clouds
Sat 1/11 - 78°/61° Cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 78°/61° Cloudy

12/29/19 Weather.com

Wed 1/8 - 66°/56° Mostly sunny
Thu 1/9 - 70°/61° Partly cloudy
Fri 1/10 - 75°/63° Mostly cloudy
Sat 1/11 - 78°/64° Partly cloudy
Sun 1/12 - 77°/64° Partly cloudy
Does anyone know what the temperatures were for the star wars half? I am trying to compare that to the predictions for the marathon. I don't like the heat, and I'm starting to getting worried. Star wars was hot enough that I will never go to Florida in April again.

Does anyone know what the temperatures were for the star wars half? I am trying to compare that to the predictions for the marathon. I don't like the heat, and I'm starting to getting worried. Star wars was hot enough that I will never go to Florida in April again.
According to Weather Underground the temperature at the start was 69 F with 96% humidity and 76 F with 82% humidity near the finish.

Is there a just give me the characters for a single race? I am only running the marathon, so I don't need to know characters for the other races.

Sure I can try to remember to add you the night before marathon if you want to send me your information.

For me, it's more about the humidity than the temperature. The Princess Half was 70 degrees but it was 96% humidity and just so wet and miserable. However, we're all from Florida so we might be biased :) I'm just hoping for lower humidity even if if it's a warmer temperature for Marathon weekend.

According to Weather Underground the temperature at the start was 69 F with 96% humidity and 76 F with 82% humidity near the finish.

Last edited:
9 miler was interesting. Right leg decided it wanted to completely take its own vacation from about 2-3 miles in. Fun times all around. It wasn't pretty. I had to slow in the last two but I got it done.

Only to almost immediately have to make the point to my trainer that if there is a 'fix' for my chronic issues I'll be genuinely shocked since if my test results come back anywhere close to what I'm expecting that means this is genetic. After he made a comment about wishing I was doing Dopey issue free. Yeah no that ain't happening. You can't fix a genetic disorder. This has been going on since I first started running, it just started getting noticeably worse in the last year. And I finally hit my 'I'm fed up with no answer' point last February. So he better just saddle up and get used to me having good and bad days.

At least I won some points back probably by making the decision to pull myself from the DC trip. Decided it was too much travel after being sick. And I think what put me over the edge that the thing I was looking forward to maybe most wasn't even the con. It was finally putting a face formally to a friend I've made over the past seven-eight months whose a wheelchair athlete and feels like she's been by my side as much as some of my non-virtual friends through this whole affair. And yeah with any luck that will happen in Boston.

On the topic of weather that forecast for the marathon better not hold.

Do the jackets etc sell out at the expo I read somewhere the small dopey sizes go within 20 mins. If so what Time should I get to the expo

I’d say from 7:30 -10 on and off and then the whole time from 10-12

Attention C Section! We need to add @MommaoffherRocker and her drink stop to our planned goofiness. @DopeyBadger any chance you can add a calculation to your spreadsheet o' fun for leaving C corral in the last wave, running a 14 min/mile with stops, and let us know how much faster or slower we need to be to meet up with her?

Do the jackets etc sell out at the expo I read somewhere the small dopey sizes go within 20 mins. If so what Time should I get to the expo

If there's something you absolutely must have, you need to be there right when it opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter