Marathon Weekend 2020

C3361148-53EA-419F-9A7A-DDA2D261F222.jpeg

Okay seeing them all together..., I’m doing better. Still hate the 10k medal but I’m seeing a pattern and like them.
Half and full are my favorites of the bunch. Not the best medals but ... could be worse like that Paris medal. And we get Minnie on the full so I am good.

View attachment 419641

Okay seeing them all together..., I’m doing better. Still hate the 10k medal but I’m seeing a pattern and like them.
Half and full are my favorites of the bunch. Not the best medals but ... could be worse like that Paris medal. And we get Minnie on the full so I am good.

I really, really hope the actual medals display much more depth, fine detail and bright metallic colors than we're seeing here. That being said, I have to go with the following order of preference:

1. Goofy
  2. Marathon
  3. 5k
  4. Half
  5. 10k
  6. Dopey (largely due to the back side of the spinner being just too Dopey looking for me)

I will say that, barring a surprise when they are seen in person, this is by far the worst overall medal set for Marathon Weekend that I've seen since I started running in 2016.

I'm not blown away by the medals, but I like them. I'd say the marathon is my favorite and I like the Half and Dopey. The others are ok, but I think I'll like them a lot more after the races.

We all place different values on the different parts of the experience. Gun to my head, I couldn’t tell you what the Dopey medal looked like this year, but I could tell you all about meeting @garneska and @run.minnie.miles at HH, about the shots I had with @rteetz and @jennamfeo before the 5K, about staying up way too late with my girls before the full.
I can tell you about that feeling of crossing that Marathon finish line and ugly crying. About the late nights and early mornings that I literally would not have changed for the world. The shots. The EE ride with my DIS friends. DATW. So. Many. Memories.

And you're right. No matter what those medals look like and whether I like them or not, I can look at them on their display with my Pom Poms, my Lei from Poly, my DATW lanyard, and remember each and every moment that made that trip and experience absolutely PERFECT.

I can tell you about that feeling of crossing that Marathon finish line and ugly crying. About the late nights and early mornings that I literally would not have changed for the world. The shots. The EE ride with my DIS friends. DATW. So. Many. Memories.

And you're right. No matter what those medals look like and whether I like them or not, I can look at them on their display with my Pom Poms, my Lei from Poly, my DATW lanyard, and remember each and every moment that made that trip and experience absolutely PERFECT.
😭

I like the medals. I do wish they could have just waited to see what they actually look like instead of an animation of it. I wasn't sold on the 5k and 10K drawings but have liked all the others. Interested to see how they will pair with the race shirts now (if they do at all).

All I know is in 17, I scarfed down the baggie of tortilla chips without even realizing there was cheese in there, too.

It’s okay to be disappointed and maybe the medals will look better in person. Fortunately, they’re just one aspect of that race weekend.

We all place different values on the different parts of the experience. Gun to my head, I couldn’t tell you what the Dopey medal looked like this year, but I could tell you all about meeting @garneska and @run.minnie.miles at HH, about the shots I had with @rteetz and @jennamfeo before the 5K, about staying up way too late with my girls before the full.

It’s going to be a great, memorable weekend no matter what. But I am sorry you’re so bummed about the medals.
^^^This x1000. The medal pales in comparison to the awesome memories!

Same.
I mean, I can't make any decisions until November 4th, and by then I will probably remember how much I hate marathons (not that I've forgotten, I just seem to think that if I try again I may have a less stupid experience), but ... I really like that medal.
Things I thought I'd never hear (err..read) you say! ;)

I am still not in love with the 5k and 10k medals, especially since I envied the Oswald medal in 2019, but I like the rest of them. Now I just hope I finish the Dopey Challenge. I have done the marathon for the last few years, but this will be my first challenge.

+1 on the chips and cheese. I still chips then later noticed the cheese. It didn't matter because I still ate the cheese straight a few minutes later. That year I felt so bad at the end and I was so hungry that I would have eaten pretty much anything. The salt was glorious after running for so long.

For me they'd rank

1. Half- I like the offset Donald and the coming off of the medal idea
2. Goofy- The race distance bubbles are a nice touch
3. Marathon- having the whole face spin is cool
4. 10K- I really like the color scheme, and have a feeling that it'll be more 3D in person
5. 5K- It's fine but nothing eye catching
6. Dopey - I'm sure will be better in person, but I think Dopey is too small, and there is too much gold outside of the spinner

The Goofy medal looks cool! But, the backside of Dopey is a little strange... Again, let’s hope it’s cuter in person
Based on what we've seen, I don't care for the backside of Dopey. But I really like the front side so I can always set the spinner to the side I like.

I’m warming to them, but I absolutely reserve the right to get triggered if the final products fall short. :rotfl2:
While I like the half and longer distance medals just fine, I also hope the final product delivers on what I like. And fixes my concerns about the 5K and 10K medals. I'm not really digging the neon yellow vibe I get on the 5K and 10K medals.

It is funny how this year's Goofy medal moves, but for the 15th I'm not seeing anything that could be move-able.
After my 2019 Goofy spinner broke on me and I had to tape it together for photos, I'm perfectly fine with a non spinning Goofy medal. I wish Goofy had more color, but if the detail in the artwork shows up in the final medal, I really like the Goofy medal.

Ok I like that marathon medal. The spinner and retro vibe are good.
I really love that retro Walt Disney World logo. Glad it's prominent on the medals.
I mean, I can't make any decisions until November 4th, and by then I will probably remember how much I hate marathons (not that I've forgotten, I just seem to think that if I try again I may have a less stupid experience), but ... I really like that medal.
My first half marathon was not a fun experience, but the lure of the coast to coast medal persuaded me to tolerate running that distance exactly two more times especially since one of them would entail a trip to Disney World. And then I went and actually enjoyed my second and third half marathons.

I do wish they could have just waited to see what they actually look like instead of an animation of it.
I think the idea of the reveal was fun. What they should have done in my opinion was do the animation reveal except show us the real medal or maybe even have the characters in question hold the medal at the end.

Tentative rankings subject to change at final reveal:

1. Marathon
2. Goofy
3. Dopey side with all 4 distances
4. Half Marathon
5. 10K (Oswald looks less strange in neon yellow than Pluto)
6. 5K

I just re-read my 2019 Dopey Trip Report and am now trying to calculate out my leave for the rest of the year so I can do Dopey again...........
I've spent this week in the office learning what my business partner has to deal with when I run Dopey next January and Star Wars again in April.

1. I'm extremely grateful to my business partner for allowing me to do so.
2. It's still worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter