• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I used to live a few blocks from Jaleo in Arlington, VA and was a frequent customer. I'm sure the one in DS is even better!

Thank you @rteetz , @DopeyBadger, @jennamfeo and @IamTrike

Based on those answers I conclude that
if someone is absolutely hooked on eating pizza, might as well spend the time and go to Via Napoli. Pasta and other dish wise, how does it compare to Mama Melrose? To AoA pasta bar?

Having done most characters meals at WDW (except Garden Grill) I was tempted by Stotybook at AP because it is a sit down dinner (not a buffet) which might be a plus after running Dopey. I am not looking for gourmet food (and it is true that the entree descriptions are not wowing me) because I will not be with people who would enjoy any signature dining or are ready to go to DS for a meal. I am trying to find an alternative for a celebration dinner within those parameters and I am falling short of ideas! Maybe I should just spend the 85$ in snacks and drinks... I do not mind spending it but just want to have the most pleasure for it.

Disney Marathon Weekend Restaurant Budget (pp with tip and taxes in but we might share some items)
9 QS @ 13$=117$
BOG lunch=23$
T-Rex=35$
Via Napoli=40$
Storybook=85$
Snacks, drinks and maybe upgrade to Space restaurant=50$
Total=350$

Last edited:

With all this ADR talk, looks like i'm going to spend quite a bit of time researching and then craving food i can't have until January. lol. So far that Pasta Bar has my mind racing!

We are doing a budget trip. I had plans to only do 1 park day at MK and maybe 2-3 adrs. As soon as they announced Rise of Resistance I immediately asked DD if she was cool with dropping adrs and doing mostly qs so we can get 2 day park tickets. We will be joining in the madness at Hollywood studios that weekend. Can’t wait!

I honestly don't hate the flatbread options at the resorts. If I need a quick pizza fix then they do the trick. However, Via Napoli is almost an every trip choice for us.
Yeah I had an amazing flatbread at the Contempo Cafe a few years ago. It was just called "seasonal flatbread" or something. I think it had artichokes. It was pretty big, probably meant for 2 people. I took it to my room and ate half, and set the rest aside, telling myself I had enough and should leave it alone. Within 10 minutes I was eating another piece. Before you knew it I ate the entire thing myself. Good thing I was running a marathon the next day!

I'm dying - tomorrow is an early wake-up to make Disney food reservations (4am PDT) and then off to get my 4 miles in before work. Tonight's plan is to make a spreadsheet of all the places I want to eat and grab the must-haves first. Obviously Afternoon Tea is taking priority over less popular options like Sanaa. No park days for Dopey. :(

... then the fun begins next week for the 60 day FP+ reservations for the birthday trip.

Running 14 miles this weekend. Yaaaaay.

Is anyone planning on any tours during Marathon Weekend? We did the segway tour of Fort Wilderness this year during Marathon Weekend and had a great time.

We are thinking about Keys to the Kingdom this time, though it is 5 hours less park time. The Epcot behind the scenes tour (can't remember the name) also seems interesting.
I would be very cautious with tours very close to a race. I did the Star Wars guided tour in 2017 the day after the Dark Side Challenge and rewarded myself with a huge blister that I had to cope with the rest of the week. I was just fine after the races, but all the walking for the tour finally triggered the blister.

Been following for a month now, and finally took the leap and registered for my first ever Half. Should be interesting since i can't get through a 5k non-stop yet. looking forward to the journey though!
Welcome and just keep working hard. I just wanted to say that I started training for my first half in May, slacked off on weekends, but finally got serious in July with an early September race. You're further along than me.

In for 2020 Marathon. I told myself after this year's race it'd be the last Disney marathon, but I knew those thoughts wouldn't last long.
I managed to do the opposite. I was really excited for a second attempt at the marathon in February and am now needing to remind myself that I already finished the marathon, so it does not need to terrify me again. Respect it? Absolutely. But be afraid of it?

Is Storybook at Artist Point for celebration dinner worth nearly 25% of my weekly food budget?
I think it really depends on what you're looking for. I think the dining room is very well done and clever. I chose to dine there because of the Dopey picture with the Dopey medal and not needing to wait in that photo line after the marathon. While I enjoyed my meal there, I don't plan on doing it again this year and I am running Dopey again.

As of right now, I'm not doing many ADRs for marathon weekend. I have a post 10K breakfast, an early dinner the night before the marathon, a post marathon celebratory meal, and a Tuesday night meal in the Studios chosen entirely because Galaxy's Edge is also there. I'm skipping a few of my regular ADRs in part because I'm also going down for Rival Run and staying an entire week after that race, so I have more time to really relax and not let fear of how I'll respond to something during a race impact my decision.

Anyone else signing up for 2020 Star Wars Rival Run weekend today?
Signed up for the 5K and ordered the jacket. I got a package through my travel agent for the challenge, so I'll formally sign up for that when they send me the email telling me to sign up. All that's left now is to add the virtual run, but make sure it's tied to Kessel.

Looks like we will have to rope drop Star Wars land on the only morning without a flight or a race...
Star Wars Rise of the Resistance opens December 5th, 2019 in Disney World!
After making my very low number of ADRs, I found out, so I'm glad I cut back on ADRs for marathon weekend. I now have lots more time to explore Galaxy's Edge. Thus far all of my exploring Galaxy's Edge trip or planned trips have involved friends and family joining me, so I'm not spending all day in Galaxy's Edge geeking out. That can change during marathon weekend especially with Rise of the Resistance open.

I would be very cautious with tours very close to a race. I did the Star Wars guided tour in 2017 the day after the Dark Side Challenge and rewarded myself with a huge blister that I had to cope with the rest of the week. I was just fine after the races, but all the walking for the tour finally triggered the blister.

Good to know, but I've always done the parks after the races as well, so I don't feel like the tour would be an increase in my walking/steps. It is something to consider though.

Good to know, but I've always done the parks after the races as well, so I don't feel like the tour would be an increase in my walking/steps. It is something to consider though.
I'm the same way. If I had known what the Guided Tour the day after the races would have caused a blister like it did, I would have waited to do the tour until later in the trip.

When visiting the parks and doing races, I return to the parks after showering post race and remain in the parks until 6 or 7 pm. After the last race, I usually watch the fireworks and then go back to my room.

What a cluster trying to get ADRs this morning, but it is finally done! Combination of online (complete disaster) and the dining line (hold music now permanently etched in my brain). Surprisingly still got almost everything we wanted with a little flexibility, but will be trying something new Sunday for the (hopefully) celebratory dinner. Another milestone on the road to a great weekend checked off the list.

Hoping everyone else had good luck on booking.

Looks like I’m going to have to call in for dining reservations since the website and the app aren’t working this morning.
Yeah, they were giving me pains on the app...I ended up having to use the website. Luckily with all the issues, the time I wanted for California Grill became better - celebratory dinner for fireworks!! :-) I was also able to easily book Maria and Enzo's for Saturday on Opentable today as well (party of 9 didn't show up as available on WDW but did on opentable_.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter