Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD:

I've got to get a new POT for Dopey. I'm trying for a 2:10 in one of these for a decent corral. I had 2:21 and was in D last year.

May - Great America River Run half in Memphis
May - local 10 K
Sept - local half
Oct - Urban Bourbon half in Kentucky
Dec - Possibly the ST Jude half in Memphis

SAFD: No races planned until Marathon weekend. If I get a whole lot faster over the summer (not expecting that :)) I look for a fast half marathon on the west coast in September for a POT. Really trying to get a little faster, but won’t be fast enough for a POT in time. Want to keep having fun and stop this older body from getting injured.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what your running/racing plans are between now and marathon weekend. Running any races before the end of the year? Shooting for a new POT? Doing any other Disney races?
All my spring races are done, but this fall is looking pretty busy starting off with a non-Disney Marathon! I wanna see how fast I can run a Marathon when I don't stop for characters and a rollercoaster, haha. This will probably be my only "PR" attempt depending on how well I recover from it, because a few weeks after it I will be at Wine & Dine doing the 5k & Challenge. And then a few weeks after that I might do the Rock N Roll Vegas Half Marathon, which I wouldn't mind trying to PR on. And finally, I am going to do the Hot Chocolate 15k in Phoenix with a friend for fun. AND THEN. MAYBE. PROBABLY. I will be at Marathon Weekend doing something & DATW.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what your running/racing plans are between now and marathon weekend. Running any races before the end of the year? Shooting for a new POT? Doing any other Disney races?
I'm still looking to do one more half before the October POT deadline. I just ran a half and I was able to PR thanks to coach @DopeyBadger. My goal was 10 minute pace, I managed to come in at 9:47! I'm sooo happy with my time, but now I want to get under the 9:45 pace and maybe get in corral C.

Happy monday marathon-weekenders. I have not signed up for any housing or races or tickets yet. It would appear that my hope of maybe adding this weekend to my 2020 schedule is dwindling. A lot of "life" still happening in roxyland and I have a feeling I'll either be out this year or searching for last minute hotel rooms a week before fall training would have to commence. I know this is basically "vague-booking" but if I hang around here once a week it's because either A) I like y'all and/or B) part of me still is holding out hope that I make a race or few work.

Happy monday marathon-weekenders. I have not signed up for any housing or races or tickets yet. It would appear that my hope of maybe adding this weekend to my 2020 schedule is dwindling. A lot of "life" still happening in roxyland and I have a feeling I'll either be out this year or searching for last minute hotel rooms a week before fall training would have to commence. I know this is basically "vague-booking" but if I hang around here once a week it's because either A) I like y'all and/or B) part of me still is holding out hope that I make a race or few work.
Do you, it’s all one can really do.

SAFD: Unfortunately, no rD for 2020, but I am in for Dopey in 2021. In fact, I have already started stalking DVC rental sites and planning who will run which races with me (current thinking, 6, 12, 14 year old and wife doing the 5k; 12 and 14 year old doing 10k, and wife doing either half or full marathon; my 14 year old is joining cross country, so there is a chance I can get him to train for the half). Just did a local half and PR'd with 1:48:00 which will probably be my POT. This year I have the Boilermaker in Utica (15k and really fun race), local half in October (first race with wife), and the NYC marathon in November.

Question for the POT experts: is there any factor applied to HM POT? I have a 1:48:00 HM time and a 3:56:00 marathon time. Which would be better to submit?

Also wondering how far in advance I should put in for DVC rentals? We are leaning toward preferring Boardwalk which I know is a popular location, especially for MW.

SAFD: Unfortunately, no rD for 2020, but I am in for Dopey in 2021. In fact, I have already started stalking DVC rental sites and planning who will run which races with me (current thinking, 6, 12, 14 year old and wife doing the 5k; 12 and 14 year old doing 10k, and wife doing either half or full marathon; my 14 year old is joining cross country, so there is a chance I can get him to train for the half). Just did a local half and PR'd with 1:48:00 which will probably be my POT. This year I have the Boilermaker in Utica (15k and really fun race), local half in October (first race with wife), and the NYC marathon in November.

Question for the POT experts: is there any factor applied to HM POT? I have a 1:48:00 HM time and a 3:56:00 marathon time. Which would be better to submit?

Also wondering how far in advance I should put in for DVC rentals? We are leaning toward preferring Boardwalk which I know is a popular location, especially for MW.

Based on @DopeyBadger's charts in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...valency-cutoff-confirmed-times.3699036/page-6 it looks like both would put you in Corral B, but you're a bit more comfortably inside the range using the half marathon time.

SAFD: I have a 5K in June, but it's a family fun run. I think my main responsibility is to keep my 8 year old nephew from trying to pretend he's Dash from The Incredibles.

After that I have a Half Marathon with 5K challenge at the Giant Race in September as my last big event before Marathon Weekend. I have 3 virtual runs that I need to do this summer and may add the runDisney virtual 5K series to that list. We'll see how motivation goes in the next couple of weeks.

I can slowly introduce running TOMORROW!!!!!
Huzzah!!

I also signed up for the runDisney virtual because I wanted those medals!
I go back and forth on how badly I want those medals. In the end, I may sign up for it just because it works as good motivation to keep me running before I really need to run as part of training.

Race wise, I've got a few along the way to continue to test and tweak the training towards the sub-3 attempt.
You probably hear this a lot, but if you don't I appreciate that you are just as excited to help people reach sub 3 hour half marathons as you are to achieve a sub 3 hour marathon.

(In comic book guy voice) Worst. Midlife crisis. Ever.
I've heard of far worse and much more damaging mid life crises than an ultramarathon. Now that said, I still partially blame my reading of marathon weekend race reports for giving me that final nudge towards the marathon.

For my DD 11yo, we will mostly need to be consistent in her training so she can enjoy the 5k and her first 10k during Marathon Weekend.
I like that you said this. Sometimes I believe the best way to help someone stick with running is to help them enjoy their very first race. I had a friend good naturedly quip yesterday that I hadn't learned my lesson with Dopey #1. Thing is I truly understand that sentiment. I did not enjoy my first half marathon. If not for the lure of the Coast to Coast challenge, I never would have signed on for races 2 and 3. And when race 2 turned out to be really fun, that changed how I viewed race 3. Eventually the concept of having fun at a race wound up with me running and actually enjoying the marathon.

SAFD: I have a pretty full schedule between now and Dopey 2020. I ran the Broad Street Run yesterday. Then my schedule is:

June 1st - Wissahickon Trail Classic 10K
June 13th - Midsummer Night 5K #1
June 16th - Cabela’s 5 Miler
June 21st - Media 5 Miler
July 4th - Sweet ‘N Salty 5K
July 11th - Midsummer Night 5K #2
July 13th - Blacklight Run 5K
Aug 8th - Midsummer Night 5K #3
Aug 25th - Philly 10K
Sep 29th - Ocean City NJ Half Marathon
Oct 20th - Hotfoot 8.8 miler
Nov 23rd - Philly Half Marathon
Nov 23rd - Philly 8K
Nice 24th - Philly Marathon

Then there are still a few other races that I am thinking about signing up for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter