Marathon Weekend 2020

Another congratulations to everyone that took part in any of the events this weekend. I was able to make my “reimagined” goal of completing Dopey with a PW in every event. I think I may have set a record, “The most passed person on the course over the 4 days”.:rotfl2: I started from Corral A for all 4 events, as that was what I finally had earned through my Rival Run HM 2019 POT. Plans got “reimagined” after a grade 2 calf strain on 12/21/19 during an easy run in my taper. From there crutches for 7 days, then a boot until 1/5/20, and finally graduated to only a compression sleeve just in time for Dopey. Dr said I may be able to start running again in another week. So it was a walking adventure for me, I officially finished the Marathon 6 minutes ahead of the balloon ladies. Also thank you if you were one of the thousands that passed that guy hobbling on the side of the course yesterday(or anytime during Dopey) and gave me some words of encouragement:goodvibes Enjoyed the lack of alarm this AM, body is feeling good, looking forward to stopping in for the DATW meet up today:cool1:

Congratulations to all the finishers! I'm back to reality. Had to fly back last night so I'm sadly going to miss DATW. Was great to meet some of you at HH though. I missed the morning meetups mostly because I'm not very social before a race. This was my third MW but first Dopey. I have to thank everyone on this board who help make the entire weekend(s) so enjoyable.

Some quick random thoughts about the weekend:

* Getting up stupid early four mornings in a row wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The excitement when you get to the Epcot parking lot makes me quickly forget that.
* So happy my wife ran the 10k and half with me. On the way home she said she should get the "I support my husband's runDisney obsession" shirt and made mention of doing just the marathon next year so to keep the streak going.
* I liked the new course. The stretch between AK and BB reminded me of Osceola, especially I was running that stretch just as the sun was rising and it was directly in my eyes. From the maps, that stretch looks to be about half the distance you spend on Osceola which is an improvement.
* I like the addition of BB, but would have liked more time in the park than in the parking lot! I have never been to either water park, but I think we may go to BB next time.
* What was up with the traffic Sunday morning?!
* I wish people were honest about their pacing estimates for the 5k and 10k. So many people walking from the begging in coral A.
* I loved that I saw @DopeyBadger leaving AK as I was entering.
* I managed to PR the marathon given the rough conditions. Took about 2 minutes off last year's time getting my second sub-four hour marathon. I did not expect that given it was part of Dopey and the heat. Though, as predicted, the humidity wasn't a huge issue for me until the sun came out. Wish there were more clouds. I assume it only a matter of time before Disney figures out how to control the weather there, or build a dome ;-)
* The gondolas are such a great addition. We didn't do any park time and being able to get to Boardwalk from Pop was great since one of my favorite two places to drink/eat is Big River (the other Polite Pig). We may have also pool hopped in order to use a hot tub 🤫
* I just pinned another tab for the 2021 thread!

So sad I missed Olaf!! Where was he?

And the BB wave pool was SO tempting when I ran by!

sorry to miss DATW and the meet up yesterday - today is AK for us. Cheers!!
We stopped for Olaf, and while we were in line, about half of his trees fell down. He walked down the line, greeting runners while his helpers righted the trees and put them back together. :D

Ill have plenty more to say when I have more time, but right now I just wanted to check in and make sure all of our DIS marathoners are okay. It was really scary out there.

I ran the first 13 really well, but slowed down a bit when I saw friends and the sun came out - and that was enough to land just behind where/when they changed the course. So I finished the remaining distance in the parking lot lol! Thought my goal of an overall avg pace under 16:00 for Dopey was shot, but I inexplicably came in just under at 15:40! Very happy with that, given the circumstances.

Congrats to all who finished, attempted, and made a smart call to skip it entirely. Where do I signup for a do-over in 2021???

For everyone who doesn’t have any photos yet from the half, i didn’t have any either after linking my bib through the mobile app. Then yesterday i decided to try and link again through the website and that worked. The finish photos popped instantly with a couple from MK. Missing about 2-3 types from MK and all from Epcot still.
Did you have to unlink that photo ID from the app? I “successfully” added our bibs to the app, but no pics. I just tried on the website but it says that number is already linked. :confused3

Has there been a Heat Advisory for DATW yet?! Hope you guys don‘t have to shorten your Course 😂

Have fun, sorry to not join you, but we are heading to the Beaches. Vacations slowly comes to an end and before we head to Cold Germany, we like to enjoy the current heat at the water somewhere 😉

I linked my marathon pictures via the app yesterday, and they just showed up a couple minutes ago. I looked as bad as I felt in that heat:)

Heading to Mexico now!

Did you have to unlink that photo ID from the app? I “successfully” added our bibs to the app, but no pics. I just tried on the website but it says that number is already linked. :confused3

I didn’t have to unlink. So i think that due to linking after the race, it just didn’t go through. My end of race picture with my medal in front of the run Disney backdrop just popped 30 minutes ago. If nothing is still showing, i might reach out to run Disney and see if there’s an issue with the bib link

I didn’t have to unlink. So i think that due to linking after the race, it just didn’t go through. My end of race picture with my medal in front of the run Disney backdrop just popped 30 minutes ago. If nothing is still showing, i might reach out to run Disney and see if there’s an issue with the bib link

I have two from yesterday showing up. The second just a few minutes ago. I imagine they will start showing during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter