Marathon Weekend 2020

Dh and the kids are coming to see me during the half. Ive never had to deal with spectators and how it works.
Is the back IG entrance to Epcot open early? We are staying at YC so it would be great if they could walk through.

The entrance will open based on park hours. If you will finish after opening, yes, they can walk across, as long as they have a park ticket.

SAFD:
1) Finish Dopey
2) Take it easy in the parks and 5K,10K, and Half (to make #1 more fun).
3) Encourage DH to enjoy his first MW (10 K and Half)
4) Make the HH meetup, and talk to all the great people.

This is my third Dopey, 2018 was a success, but last year I ended up on the bus. The heat contributed to that, so I hope I can do better with it this year. I am really slow, so no chance to finish while it’s still relatively cool, but I am better prepared this time. Looking forward to the excitement of running outside after two months of treadmill miles.

I'm starting my taper today but will need to do a couple of short runs when I get state side to get acclimated to the heat (and burn off the dole whips). Does anyone know what the running trail is like at Pop?

I apologize in advance bc I’m sure this has been covered. Dh decided last minute to come spectate the half. He would prefer to get to the finish line. We are staying at Yacht Club. Right now we don’t park hoppers so no walking through Epcot(I could get hoppers but really don’t want to spend $$$)
Are there buses to the finish line or can he drive? I looked at the road closure map
And it looks difficult to navigate driving. (We aren’t that familiar with the roads)
Thank you

I'm starting my taper today but will need to do a couple of short runs when I get state side to get acclimated to the heat (and burn off the dole whips). Does anyone know what the running trail is like at Pop?
Its okay...not that long but you can always do a loop or so on the road around AoA and Pop. Regardless of what distance you're training for those paths are long enough for the mileage you'll want to get in this week

Okay, it took a few days, but I have now accepted that the marathon will be hot. So I'm now going with A., B. and C. plans...

A. Keep to my planned sub-16:00/mile avg pace for all four races. I've been averaging 13:30-13:45 lately, but I'm MUCH slower in the heat. But I looked back at all my brutally hot summer long runs and still came in under a 15:00/mile average, so I think this is still possible. The benefit of having been running in cooler temps is that I don't have months of accumulated heat stress stacked up against me.

B. Just finish. At any pace that prevents massive heat stress. I need to put this in writing and say it to myself repeatedly, because I have a hard time accepting limitations on the spot. I know what "bad" feels like, so Plan B is to recognize it if it happens and act accordingly.

C. Bail. If it all goes very, very south and I just cannot handle the heat, bail and live to run another day and try to do so without regrets, knowing I did all I could.

What time of day? What race? Unless I'm mistaken, the monorail (Ep->TTC) doesn't start running until 1 hour prior to park opening. Could you maybe get on the RunDisney bus back to the Contemporary, then walk over?
I was looking to do it for the half and full. Taking the monorail from Epcot to TTC are the directions listed for spectators in the event guide. It also said admission to MK is waived for spectators until 8 am.

1. I’ll try, with moderate success, to overcome my fear of running in the heat with some positive thinking a la Deena Kastor

2. I’ll cry at the finish line

3. I hopefully will find my husband, kids, and parents somewhere between miles 24-26

4. a grand Marnier slush will never have tasted SO good as it will Sunday afternoon!

Does Disney put out any special merch for annual passholders at the marathon like they do for festivals or other special events that we need to look out for?

Last year's marathon had a shirt and jacket, if I remember correctly. The shirt was short sleeve and had a contrasting collar and sleeve cuffs. It looked pretty nice, but I can't seem to find a picture of it.

Does Disney put out any special merch for annual passholders at the marathon like they do for festivals or other special events that we need to look out for?
YES I got a Tervis & Pin Preordered during Wine and Dine and they had shirts at the Expo though they sell out FAST

I know this is last minute, but I am arriving at 11am Wednesday and have a rental car if anyone is getting in around that time and wants a ride to the expo. PM and I'll send you my cell number.

She could walk from TTC through Poly on paths to GF (< 1 mile) or Floridian Way (~.5 mile). Might be easier/faster than the monorail (not sure what its operating schedule is like that day)

She still would have to cross the marathon route during the race to get from the TTC drop-off to Poly/GF. My question is whether or not cast members will be there to create a spectator crosswalk.

I apologize in advance bc I’m sure this has been covered. Dh decided last minute to come spectate the half. He would prefer to get to the finish line. We are staying at Yacht Club. Right now we don’t park hoppers so no walking through Epcot(I could get hoppers but really don’t want to spend $$$)
Are there buses to the finish line or can he drive? I looked at the road closure map
And it looks difficult to navigate driving. (We aren’t that familiar with the roads)
Thank you

He can take the bus with you pre-race, hang out with you until you enter the corral, then spectate the start and head over to the finish area to wait. For the Half that would be a pretty long time to just sit tight. Another alternative would be for him to take an Uber or taxi closer to your finish time.

ETA: He can also just come out to the Boardwalk and see you go by there on the course -- not the finish line but it's an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter