Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: For runDisney, I would definitely say my first (and only to date!) marathon in 2018. It was a pretty perfect first marathon experience.
For just Disney in general, it would be planning our family's first trip in 2014. We invited our in-laws and my father-in-law (whom I love, but is pretty picky and critical about things) was so impressed with the trip I planned- from our fast passes to food to hotel to dictating what rides we went on when. He is usually the planner in the family, so he loved just going along for the ride. He has since emailed different people to tell them to have me plan their Disney trips in the future-haha! Of course the true credit for planning a successful Disney trip is always the disboards! :thumbsup2

All this talk about food makes me wonder what the strangest thing you've ever eaten during a run is?
White wine, then waffle with dessert wine then cheese straws and red wine, all in the first two miles of a half marathon. I passed on the olives because even if I like them, I was afraid of what that mix would do to my stomach. ETA: at 8AM in the morning...

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I attempted to make a table service showdown bracket last night. First, the website we used for the rides tournament is no longer in existence. Second, I started a bracket on another site last night, came back to finish this morning and all my work was gone, so that's going to have to wait.

But Sundays are for Disney marches forward! For this week ... what's the best piece of runDisney advice you've been given or the most valuable thing you've learned? If you don't have any advice to share, what's a runDisney question you have for the group?

This can be anything related to runDisney, from registration, to what to pack, to navigating the expo, to balancing park time with race time, to what to expect on the courses, to how to survive DATW. And don't assume something is common knowledge!

I don't have a ton of advice to dispense, but I think one of the best things I ever did was run the marathon with no headphones/music on. There is so much to see, hear and experience that I really recommend not having any distractions and just taking it all in - even during the stretches outside of the parks.

Have a great week, everyone!

For this week ... what's the best piece of runDisney advice you've been given or the most valuable thing you've learned? If you don't have any advice to share, what's a runDisney question you have for the group?
I think like you not running with headphones is solid advice. I haven’t run a single runDisney race with headphones simply because of the atmosphere they have.

In addition to that I think taking Disney races in and not worrying about time or where you finish is something I have found to enjoy. I have rarely if ever run a disney race for time. For me now it’s all about enjoying myself whether it’s meeting characters, riding attractions, grabbing a in race beverage or whatever else. There is a reason I continue to do these races. There aren’t many experiences you can have like these.

SAFD: To prepare for any type of weather, things to pack that don't take up much space: foil blankets, garbage bags, and tube socks (cut off for arm sleeves). Even in fair weather, it can feel chilly when standing around in corrals waiting for the start.

Absolutely this. I'll add that the weather can change - dramatically - in a very short amount of time. Don't pack a week in advance and assume that forecast is going to hold.

SAFD: I agree with everybody who posted already. Going to add, waiting until after the races to do your park days. My first marathon DH and I decided to take a "light day" at MK the day before, and I wound up on my feet for 9 hours the day before the race. Combine that with being undertrained and my feet hurt before I even started on Sunday morning. YMMV and if you've already done a lot of races and/or aren't planning to "race" the race it might be ok but otherwise, just wait til after.

But Sundays are for Disney marches forward! For this week ... what's the best piece of runDisney advice you've been given or the most valuable thing you've learned? If you don't have any advice to share, what's a runDisney question you have for the group?

Most of the character stops during the first part of the half will be there during the full too. You can save time on one of the two days by not repeating them should you desire to do so. Also, the Thirsty River bar opens by 730.

SAFD:

I shouldn't need to say this but since I constantly have to remind myself (and still don't learn from my hard-earned lessons):

The races (any race, but rD certainly applies) are so much more fun, fulfilling, anxiety-free, etc. when you have done the proper training. This doesn't mean you need to be at peak-PR condition to have fun; but I think we all know when we're prepared and when we aren't. As someone with far too much experience in the not-prepared camp I can easily say that the more you put in the more you'll get out.

SAFD: Run a race to get a proof of time to submit, if you can. Having that PoT to move you out of the massive corrals in the back and increase the buffer that you have over the sweepers can go a long way towards reducing the stress of a first major race situation and making character stops less daunting.

SAFD:
Advice received: The WWoS section of the marathon does eventually end. Just be prepared for never ending twists, turns, corners and people walking 2-3 across on the sidewalks.

Advice based on 2019: if you think you might have picked up grit from the WWoS baseball field, take the time to stop and dump your shoes out; doing so might prevent a grit caused blister. Also, a sunscreen stick is worth carrying so that you can keep applying to arms/face/neck.

Coming out of lurkdom for this week's SAFD! I'm running Princess weekend (it's the one that works best for my schedule and I do enjoy it) with a goal of eventually running Dopey in the future. I have learned so much from the Disboards and this thread particularly that have prepared me for the runs I have done and will do in the future. I agree with the ones already posted, so I'm going to add a few more pieces of advice I've received that haven't been mentioned yet.

Expo - If you want runDisney merch, as crazy as it is, go to the runDisney merch building first at the expo! Last year at Princess weekend we got there a little late (bus issues), but I still got everything I wanted. The spirit jersey was a popular item and I read later on that a lot of people were disappointed that they sold out (I think on the first day). The lines are incredibly long, but if you're able to go early on the first day you're almost guaranteed to get everything you might want.

Expo - Use your discounts at the runDisney merch registers. I never would have even thought to do this if I didn't see it mentioned here. My first year I prepurchased some items and bought others at the expo. Now I wait because I can save with the AP or DVC discount, and don't pay the online processing fees. There are some items that are prepurchase only (and they don't tell you in advance), but I'm willing to risk it to save with the discounts!

Race Day - Take the first bus in the morning to the race. It means getting up earlier, but you have less risk of getting there late with transportation issues. Once there I can take it easy, get in a character photo line, stretch, etc. As crazy as it gets, having that extra time at the event to prepare is worth it to me!

SAFD: Been off the Boards for quite awhile but figured it was time to jump back in! My advice: leave your resort early on race day(s). There is a lot of temptation to snooze or set the alarm for a bit later. But I have experienced the stress of trying to get through bag check and then run to the start to not miss my corral. It can be cold waiting around but so less stressful than standing in the crowds trying to get to the start and realise the early corrals are already heading out.

I loved all the food related posts. That's some crazy stuff to eat mid race. I can't imagine Wine and cheese puffs mid half Marathon.

SAFD: I think my big advice for Disney races would be, "be prepared." Many of us will be travelling hundreds of miles for Disney races, many will be running/multiple days and have other stuff going on. For me being prepared means:

When I fly running stuff goes in my carry on, most anything else can be replaced in florida shoes might be more difficult.
You never know what the weather is going to be like and it can change, bring stuff to stay warm, dry and comfortable in the corrals, and spare shoes if you are running more than one day
Figure out recovery strategy that works for you and bring that. Compression socks, Calf Sleeves, Recovery Sandles, Tights, Ice baths, Epson Salt/Bath Bombs.

SAFD: Find what works best for you not what works best for others. Because as I will explain below that's not always one and the same. I've gone against conventional wisdom several times. It wasn't until a recent trainer change up that my Dopey plans started including sims (4 Dopeys without a sim, 5 will have a sim minus the marathon). I was prepped otherwise and had no problems finishing it.

I'm the one that's in the park post race, every day for the entire weekend. For two reasons, one Marathon weekend is technically my first week of classes. First week is dead as a doornail so I can afford to miss but I sure the heck can't stay beyond. So parks have to happen while I'm doing the races. Also personally actually I think its better to go out and go to the parks if you're doing Dopey as long as your tracking your mileage and how much your actually standing around. Why? Because it keeps the lactic acid from building up between races. I've done enough halfs that I can feel when I spent time walking after a race rather than just sitting around. I hurt a lot less if I've been walking then if I haven't. Which is key for the big one. To me Dopey's problem isn't the mileage its the exhaustion. Which you can fight easily enough if you make sure you're out of the park by a reasonable time or catching a cat nap after a race. (I personally tend to crash after the 10k for some reason...not the half or full usually (though I have crashed after those before) 9 times out of 10 its the 10k that gets to me)

Also, I'm the type that needs headphones. Doesn't matter what race I'm doing. runDisney or not the headphones are with me. And before anyone says to try it: I lost my headphones with 8 miles left in the marathon this last year. I was not happy, I was hot and I was cranky and I had lost them just before we turned to do the ESPN zone. Atmosphere did not do anything to help me during the ESPN zone. Great if y'all can go through the entire event without headphones. I found out the hard way I really don't like to. I will if the race bans them. But unless it's an outright ban I'm taking my headphones. I'll take one ear or maybe both ears out in the parks but as soon as we exit the parks the buds go straight back in. But just because no headphones works for other runners doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Sorry for going off on a tagent.

SAFD: Best advice I received was to run your own race. Maybe that means going for a great time, or maybe it means stopping for every photo opp. Maybe it's being quiet and focused, or maybe it means chatting with anyone and everyone around. For me, it means starting out slow and getting into a groove, not worrying about the 95% of other runners who prefer to start fast.

Biggest thing I've learned is that I need a LOT of down time when doing race weekends. Little time in the parks, some socializing with friends, but too much exhausts me, so I have to make sure I limit it and make adequate time for rest and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter