Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I have never once stopped for a character photo but the only one I really regret not stopping for was my first marathon in 2014, they had Pluto, Bolt, and Dug from Up in front of a doghouse prop. So cute and who can turn down a pic with 3 dogs! They were playing "Who Let the Dogs Out" on a loop and I still remember pitying whoever was assigned to be at that spot for hours of listening to that. If they had that again I'd stop for sure.

Just getting caught up after catching a nasty cold right after vacation that took me out of commission for 2 weeks that was immediately followed by a business trip, so June was a disaster running wise. Now I have to show coach that I really want it by proving that the illness was a temporary obstacle.

Various thoughts I've had while catching up in no particular order.

1. I break my running clothes into groups. Some tech shirts are used only for short distances because they are less comfortable for longer distances. Others are used for just about any distance, and some are saved for long distances only because those tend to be my very best tech shirts, so I save them for when they do the most good.

2. I'm weirdly superstitious when it comes to sports. For instance, my best races tend to come when I'm wearing BYU apparel. It's reached a point now where I always wear either BYU shorts, or running pants if I'm not wearing a BYU shirt for the race. However, that superstition does not extend to I did it shirts. If I want one, I will buy it before the race, but will not wear until after the race. It does help knowing that I can return it on Disney property if I need to.

3. Characters. I really enjoy getting character photos, but almost always do so based on whether or not I actually like the character/movie and how long the line is. I'll wait much longer for character/movie that I love than characters I'm neutral about. All that said, this year during the Goofy portion of Dopey, I stopped for a lot of photos because the lines were short enough and I was determined to not repeat the no photo policy I had during my first half because I was terrified I would not finish. Funny what confidence can do.

For me, the characters I would wait in long lines for during the race are almost always the same characters I can see in the parks after the race. It's basically Mickey, Chip and Dale, Pluto, Goofy, Star Wars, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, and Tangled. Fortunately for me, I have seen most of these characters in races before, so I can skip the line if it's a problem.

4. Motivation. I always struggle with this when I do not have a race on the horizon. The last 2 years I have used the runDisney virtual 5K summer series to help with this, although this option may not work for everyone and really only works for me because I have really liked the medals for that series the past 2 years.

That was my first reaction. I had to recheck the calendar and go to Disney World's website. I'm getting there Jan 7th, so now I need to go over itineraries again. The cool thing is I'm going in September and so it's only 13 days until we can make Fastpass reservations for that trip. July is going to be a good planning month! I'm not liking the new DHS Fastpass tiering, though.

That was my first reaction. I had to recheck the calendar and go to Disney World's website. I'm getting there Jan 7th, so now I need to go over itineraries again. The cool thing is I'm going in September and so it's only 13 days until we can make Fastpass reservations for that trip. July is going to be a good planning month! I'm not liking the new DHS Fastpass tiering, though.
I am not even going to think about January until I’m back from WDW next week.

I was checking something else on my calendar tonight and realized it's only 10 days until I can make ADRs for Marathon weekend!
Less than that for me since I'm running Dopey. I really need to decide where I want to eat. And figure out how much time I'm spending in Galaxy's Edge versus how much time I spend at the rest of WDW. Is 95% in Galaxy's Edge too little?
I'm not liking the new DHS Fastpass tiering, though.
I hope it will make it less difficult to get fast passes for the other Toy Story ride you don't choose with the new tier. I've often been able to get same day fast passes for Tower of Terror in the past.

Just a courtesy message for those of you [like me] waiting for SWA to release their schedule for marathon weekend, the July 10th date for releasing flights past 1/5/20 has now been pushed out to August 8th.

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 8, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change!

Last edited:
Just a courtesy message for those of you [like me] waiting for SWA to release their schedule for marathon weekend, the July 10th date for releasing flights past 1/5/19 has now been pushed out to August 8th.

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On August 8, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change!

I put the 10th on my calendar, but I also put the 8th on there too, just in case. Apparently, I know how SWA thinks.

Just a courtesy message for those of you [like me] waiting for SWA to release their schedule for marathon weekend, the July 10th date for releasing flights past 1/5/20 has now been pushed out to August 8th.

I saw that. I keep checking because sometimes they move the release dates up. That happened to me this year, I fortunately happened to randomly check before the original date they had for the release.

That’s annoying, but probably for the best for me. I go for my TSA Pre-Check “interview” on Friday and this will give me a chance to get my number to use during initial booking.

That’s annoying, but probably for the best for me. I go for my TSA Pre-Check “interview” on Friday and this will give me a chance to get my number to use during initial booking.
I don't really need pre-check in Milwaukee but man is it awesome in other airports that are much busier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter