• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good morning all,

Still new to the site and races overall (done a few halves before, but none through runDisney). Does anyone from this group ever get together before or after the race to chat/motivate each other/ celebrate together?

I love the vibe from this group, and seeing as many here do more than one race or challenge (my goal is to do all of the races in 2019 including Paris), I was thinking it would be a good idea to meet up the day before a run or something to hang out. If something like this already exists and is in a different thread, just let me know.

Thanks!

I’m am using Higdon again since that worked well for me. Some run/walk. I’ll top off at 20.
I'll use Higdon's Intermediate II plan. I have three 20-milers in Higdon's plan. This has been successful for me in the past. It's reasonable mileage during the week with the long stuff on the weekends. I've also used Hanson's plan, which earned me a PR, but I'm not in nearly that kind of shape right now and the weekday demands are greater. The key to any of these plans is to follow them. Follow them come rain or shine or snow or sleet or...and they'll work. Trust them. Of course, listen to your body and stay healthy, but do your runs and you'll be awesome on race day. To me, training always goes by surprisingly quickly. You rarely seem prepared enough, but if you follow a good plan, you'll be ready.

Good morning all,

Still new to the site and races overall (done a few halves before, but none through runDisney). Does anyone from this group ever get together before or after the race to chat/motivate each other/ celebrate together?

I love the vibe from this group, and seeing as many here do more than one race or challenge (my goal is to do all of the races in 2019 including Paris), I was thinking it would be a good idea to meet up the day before a run or something to hang out. If something like this already exists and is in a different thread, just let me know.

Thanks!
Short answer: Yes.
Comprehensive answer: Check out this thread on the RunDisney forum:
Official Upcoming RunDisney DISMeets Thread: 7/14 *Marathon Weekend Minor Updates*

For those wishing for cold or cooler weather this winter in the south, here is what the Farmers Almanac has to say, "Break out the space heaters, umbrellas, and warm socks, because the Southeast will see below normal winter temperatures with an unseasonable chill reaching as far south as the Gulf Coast, with above-average precipitation." It also goes on to say, "And for parts of the western Great Lakes, eastern Great Plains, and points south, including Arklatexoma (where Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma abut), be prepared for wide swings in the weather pendulum, from very warm to very cold, and periods of tranquil conditions mixed with occasional spells of tempestuous weather." The second part kinda covers any options though... Lets hope for cold/cool temps for marathon weekend!!! It's never to early to start stressing about the weather lol.

For those wishing for cold or cooler weather this winter in the south, here is what the Farmers Almanac has to say, "Break out the space heaters, umbrellas, and warm socks, because the Southeast will see below normal winter temperatures with an unseasonable chill reaching as far south as the Gulf Coast, with above-average precipitation." It also goes on to say, "And for parts of the western Great Lakes, eastern Great Plains, and points south, including Arklatexoma (where Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma abut), be prepared for wide swings in the weather pendulum, from very warm to very cold, and periods of tranquil conditions mixed with occasional spells of tempestuous weather." The second part kinda covers any options though... Lets hope for cold/cool temps for marathon weekend!!! It's never to early to start stressing about the weather lol.

Just please be at least a little warmer in Orlando this year for marathon weekend. I like the cooler temps for the actual run, but those COLD mornings in the corrals were pretty miserable.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. I hate the cold. I need to move further South.

Cold is fine...cold and wet, no thank you. I'll take the cold of last year over cold and wet 100%

For those wishing for cold or cooler weather this winter in the south, here is what the Farmers Almanac has to say, "Break out the space heaters, umbrellas, and warm socks, because the Southeast will see below normal winter temperatures with an unseasonable chill reaching as far south as the Gulf Coast, with above-average precipitation."
1. I never know what they really mean by "as far south as the Gulf Coast." I mean, I live on the Gulf Coast, but halfway down FL - does that include me, or do they only mean that top part of the Gulf?!
2. "Above-average precipitation" makes me sad. :(
3. I still think it's going to be a warm marathon.

I’ll take cold and will hide in my car until the last minute, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not rain. I don’t like running in rain no matter what the temperatures are.

Does anyone have recommendations for men's socks? Right at about the 2 hour mark my socks become sponges and I can't imagine doing another 2 hours with the same squishy pair on. Currently Using either Hanes or Under Armour name brand. Does anyone ever run with an extra pair to change out or is that a pretty weird thing to do?
Have you tried Fitsok? I use them and haven't had any issues with them.

I had heard about compression socks for years, but never seriously looked into them. However last year when I noticed that the 6 day a week running I undertook in order to run Avengers in a short training period that my calf soreness lingered into the next day. I tested a pair of CEP compression socks and immediately noticed a difference. They helped reduce soreness in recovery. I have since bought 2 more pair since I use them for recovery the day of a long run.
I have been running in the CEP’s (both socks and sleeves) for about 7 years. I really like them, especially on longer runs. They are great for post run recovery if you can stand the heat on those hot days.

I'll use Higdon's Intermediate II plan. I have three 20-milers in Higdon's plan. This has been successful for me in the past. It's reasonable mileage during the week with the long stuff on the weekends. I've also used Hanson's plan, which earned me a PR, but I'm not in nearly that kind of shape right now and the weekday demands are greater. The key to any of these plans is to follow them. Follow them come rain or shine or snow or sleet or...and they'll work. Trust them. Of course, listen to your body and stay healthy, but do your runs and you'll be awesome on race day. To me, training always goes by surprisingly quickly. You rarely seem prepared enough, but if you follow a good plan, you'll be ready.

I used Higdon’s plans several times when I started running. They’re great for beginners and veterans working their way into different distances. Coaches are great but too many think they need them when they start running. Higdon plans will do the trick and they are FREE!

I don't care what the weather is, I just want the forecast to stay the same starting at least 10-14 days before the race. I don't care if I have to wear a lot of layers or one layer, I just want to know what the story is far enough in advance to not have to pack everything I own just in case.
I know, I'm asking for too much. This is Florida.

Does anyone know if any of the races for WDW Marathon Weekend have filled up outside of the 5-K and 10-K? Is Dopey typically the next one to reach capacity?

Does anyone know if any of the races for WDW Marathon Weekend have filled up outside of the 5-K and 10-K? Is Dopey typically the next one to reach capacity?
Everything other than the two smaller races is available. Dopey typically yes does sell out but it may be a while yet.

I don't care what the weather is, I just want the forecast to stay the same starting at least 10-14 days before the race. I don't care if I have to wear a lot of layers or one layer, I just want to know what the story is far enough in advance to not have to pack everything I own just in case.
I know, I'm asking for too much. This is Florida.

At least you know.

I can't promise I know what the weather is going to be tomorrow.

Regarding the weather I seem to favor conditions that seem to be unpopular. In a ideal world I would like something around 30-35 to start the race, a light north wind and clouds. I also hope the temps dont exceed 50 by the end of the race. Anything over 65 for a long race and it's not going to be a good day for me. I'll take a cold rainy day over 60 and sunny. Above 80 for a marathon and I will strongly consider not running it at all. I run better when its cold. I was angry at the 2016 WDW marathon with the high RH% and 68-70 start temp at 5:30AM. The very next day I think it was 50 ish or something. So close!!!

At least you know.

I can't promise I know what the weather is going to be tomorrow.

Hahaha! I can’t tell you what it will be an hour from now. Yesterday it was not raining in my front yard, but raining in the backyard with a huge swath of blue sky showing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter