Marathon Weekend 2018

Also, not sure if I saw it posted on here, but @Keels started a thread for the DIS meet ups including Marathon Weekend (link). I'll have more details about pre-race and post-race as it gets closer, but this is a start.

It always worries me how organised people are on this thread - heres me thinking I'm all good as I've started thinking about costumes!

To answer the Sunday question - my favourite thing about Epcot is the festivals. I love the extra food and drink stalls and the flower arrangements at Flower and Garden. It just makes the whole park extra special, and who doesn't like more food and drink!

The resort craziness of yesterday has ended - I was trying to book everything from GF to Poly studio to an arrival night at POR! 17yo decided not to miss practices/scrimmages and be available for whatever coach decides. So we're back to a party of four and sticking with our deal at AKL! We've stayed at BWI or Poly for all other race weekends, so wondering if anyone can share their race transportation experiences from AKL!

I hear you. I currently have 3 reservations, and right now I will probably do a split stay at Pop for 2 nights and AKL Fri-Tues. Disappointed in myself for not reserving a DVC studio right after I signed up for Dopey, but honestly, I never thought the resort availability and pricing would be so stupid for this trip.

Oh for the days when I worked at GM and we got not only the ticket discount, but also once I got 40% off a 2BR at OKW!

I hear you. I currently have 3 reservations, and right now I will probably do a split stay at Pop for 2 nights and AKL Fri-Tues. Disappointed in myself for not reserving a DVC studio right after I signed up for Dopey, but honestly, I never thought the resort availability and pricing would be so stupid for this trip.

Oh for the days when I worked at GM and we got not only the ticket discount, but also once I got 40% off a 2BR at OKW!

When I went to go inquire about renting DVC points, like a week after signing up for the races, there was almost nothing left, already. The person I talked with said there was a few rooms at the Epcot resorts, and only SSR and OKW had decent availability. Since then, it's all been swallowed up.

I seemed to have aggravated some issues in my back driving my middle kid to college back in July, and I got an MRI a couple days ago. I have yet to hear from my neurosurgeon, but I got a copy of the MRI film, and took a look at it with my mom. My mom used to be an X-Ray Technician way back in the 70s. The machines may be vastly different, but she still remembers her anatomy. When we got to some front to back screens, I could see my mom wincing. She didn't say anything, but her face said it all.

I hope my neurosurgeon says it's not as bad as I'm fearing, but if he won't medically clear me, I may have to withdraw. :(

I hope my neurosurgeon says it's not as bad as I'm fearing, but if he won't medically clear me, I may have to withdraw.

Hope it turns out for the best. Keep us posted.

On a completely unrelated topic from another post: !Por favor manténgase alejado de la señora borracha!

I had to google the translation. It made me laugh. I need to learn how to say it.

Or to be more accurate, my DW needs to learn to say it, gender appropriate.

I seemed to have aggravated some issues in my back driving my middle kid to college back in July, and I got an MRI a couple days ago. I have yet to hear from my neurosurgeon, but I got a copy of the MRI film, and took a look at it with my mom. My mom used to be an X-Ray Technician way back in the 70s. The machines may be vastly different, but she still remembers her anatomy. When we got to some front to back screens, I could see my mom wincing. She didn't say anything, but her face said it all.

I hope my neurosurgeon says it's not as bad as I'm fearing, but if he won't medically clear me, I may have to withdraw. :(

Oh no!!!!

Hope that it's not as bad as you are thinking.

Hope it turns out for the best. Keep us posted.

On a completely unrelated topic from another post: !Por favor manténgase alejado de la señora borracha!

I had to google the translation. It made me laugh. I need to learn how to say it.

Or to be more accurate, my DW needs to learn to say it, gender appropriate.

I laughed, I admit it.

Okay, running experts, I have a question. I'm following the Galloway training plan to finish in the upright position, except I had to modify it because I was out of commission for 5 weeks (eek) due to a Crohns flare. I've been adding two miles every weekend to catch back up. Now I have a bad head cold and skipped my Tuesday run. I need to do my long run tomorrow because I'm traveling this weekend and won't have another chance. I'm planning to run 11 miles.

What do you think is the greater evil: skipping the much needed long run and falling further behind, or running 11 miles when I'm hacking up a lung at 5 am?

TIA! I'm really torn.

Okay, running experts, I have a question. I'm following the Galloway training plan to finish in the upright position, except I had to modify it because I was out of commission for 5 weeks (eek) due to a Crohns flare. I've been adding two miles every weekend to catch back up. Now I have a bad head cold and skipped my Tuesday run. I need to do my long run tomorrow because I'm traveling this weekend and won't have another chance. I'm planning to run 11 miles.

What do you think is the greater evil: skipping the much needed long run and falling further behind, or running 11 miles when I'm hacking up a lung at 5 am?

TIA! I'm really torn.
What's the saying I quickly google - "Symptoms below the neck (chest cold, bronchial infection, body ache) require time off, while symptoms above the neck (runny nose, stuffiness, sneezing) don't pose a risk to runners continuing workouts" That's pretty much what I follow. If it's just light coughing & no lung hurting I'll run, but if it's lungs burning/hurting I skip.

Last edited:

TIA! I'm really torn.

What's the saying I quickly google - "Symptoms below the neck (chest cold, bronchial infection, body ache) require time off, while symptoms above the neck (runny nose, stuffiness, sneezing) don't pose a risk to runners continuing workouts" That's pretty much what I follow. If it's just light coughing & no lung hurting I'll run, but if it's lungs burning/hurting I skip.

Yep - If it is a head cold, run and spit, run and spit. I only stop running when ill if running causes me to cough.

TIA! I'm really torn.

I also vote to give the run a try. If it's going horribly, you can always turn back after a few miles. You might find the exercise helps clear things up a bit.

I also vote to give the run a try. If it's going horribly, you can always turn back after a few miles. You might find the exercise helps clear things up a bit.

I'm no doctor but I've had chest congestion that was refusing to go away and going to the gym and getting on the treadmill for 4 miles or so helped it go away.

I'm no doctor but I've had chest congestion that was refusing to go away and going to the gym and getting on the treadmill for 4 miles or so helped it go away.
Same here - running helps me loosen up that stuff.

Same here - running helps me loosen up that stuff.

Same.

My latest ‘mistake’ was pulling a muscle in my lower back while lifting on Tuesday. No weights or running for me this week. Ibuprofen and heating pads are my friends! Luckily it’s not bad so I should be able to re-join my training regiment soon

Question for all you doing marathon & staying on-site

Any tips on hydration pre-race, specifically while being at WDW a few days prior?

Was thinking I probably should order a case or 2 of water to be delivered. FWIW we are staying CL.

Any tips on hydration pre-race, specifically while being at WDW a few days prior?

Was thinking I probably should order a case or 2 of water to be delivered. FWIW we are staying CL.
Our stuitcases are full of bottled water when we fly down so we always have water with us going into the parks & don't have to buy it in park, we also buy the refillable mugs and use that for Powerade/drinks back at the resort. At counter service places we also get cups of water (doesn't always taste the best though). Ordering cases of water would be a good idea so you always have it on hand.

Even staying on property, I rent a car and at least a case of water is always on my shopping list. Delivery would be an affordable solution as well as if you have a brand preference.

Even staying on property, I rent a car and at least a case of water is always on my shopping list.

^This, sort of. I've been able to find a good deal ($30-40ish) for one day car rentals the last few trips I've taken, so I usually grab one. I'll pick it up at MCO, go to Target or wherever, stock up on water, bagels, and things like that, maybe hit the expo, and then I return the car to the Swan/Dolphin. In the past, I've done this while staying at either Boardwalk or Beach Club so I just walked with my bags to check in. I guess depending on where you're staying it's still a doable plan; you'd just have to go to your resort first to drop off all of your stuff before returning the car.

the 5K pick-up outside of Champion Stadium - where ID is needed for bib pickup - was free and clear. No checking of race retreat bracelets or anything. It looked like anyone could walk up and pick up 5K bibs with ID, even if they didn't have the race retreat bracelet. And if one person has entry to Jostens, they can pick up another person's 5K shirt without ID. At least I think so - I've gone in to get my husband's shirt in the past when he's had it with the expo and already presented ID to pick up his bib.

I'm trying to work out whether to purchase the Race Retreat package but there is one person in our party who is just running the 10k. I thought I would get the Cheer Squad package for him but wasn't sure if he would then have to loiter for an hour while the rest of us get our bibs and stuff at the Expo. @pixarmom from what you were saying do you think he might be able to rock up to the 10k bib pickup early without anyone checking? Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter