Marathon Weekend 2018

I'm really glad I booked early with that TA discount. When I look now, availability for Poly is non-existent. I did some looking last week when the military discount was announced just to see if I could get a better deal and there was nothing there.

Glad we aren't doing quite as much in the parks this time because it's looking like it may be slammed.

Because of this I am not sure we see SPD this year at all.

SPD did come out, but the room availability looks about as sparse as the percent off discounts.

I priced a SPD in CR. All they had, when I checked, was a 1 BR garden wing with Suite Access. For our trip dates, it went over $10k! My girl and I paid less than $4k for a standard room, theme park tickets and anticipated food. Is a 1 bedroom worth basically $1000 more a night? No.

I still can't thank you enough, @ZellyB for that amazing TA discount!

So given the limited availability and low discount percentages, I'm starting to feel really happy about getting that amazing deal on an AKL standard room this morning.

But wrinkle! 17yo may be clear to join us (yay!) but coach may add to schedule and can't guarantee his availability, so all remains uncertain (boo.) Availability for party of 5 (instead of current 4) includes GF ($1200 more, and it's our kids' least favorite resort) or cabins (not sure about those for marathon weekend.) If we stayed a few extra days, we'd get a great price on YC.

SPD is there, but no moderates are offered for it.

I did book someone at Yacht Club earlier today for a Marathon Weekend stay, but it didn't seem like much of a "deal" to me at all.

SPD is there, but no moderates are offered for it.

I did book someone at Yacht Club earlier today for a Marathon Weekend stay, but it didn't seem like much of a "deal" to me at all.

My travel agent checked and their group rates were lower than the Disney deals for whatever that's worth.

I was looking at YC if we arrive on Tuesday before Marathon weekend and stay for a week. Then the price goes down to tolerable (at least compared to that GF reservation, which I don't really want, but it fits 5.)

I checked this morning as well and was told and also found out that the discount from the iRun thingy (yes, thingy LOL) was a better deal than was out. I was tempted to switch to OKW 1br jut to have a door between us and the kids but decided that it wasn't worth it and I really want to be at BC

I took a screenshot of my POT as well. I was especially paranoid about it since I changed it after initial registration and it took several tries to "stick" but when I went back and checked on a different day, it was right. Phew!

Belated Sunday question answer: Strolling through World Showcase in the afternoon/evening. We tend to rope drop and hit the Future World rides in the morning and then meander/shop/graze through World Showcase in the afternoon and evening. I like that it's a change of pace from the rushing from ride to ride that we tend to do at all the other parks.

I took a screenshot of my POT as well. I was especially paranoid about it since I changed it after initial registration and it took several tries to "stick" but when I went back and checked on a different day, it was right. Phew!
Just checked my proof of time on Active.com for at least the 12th time, thanks to you fine folks on here :duck:

The resort craziness of yesterday has ended - I was trying to book everything from GF to Poly studio to an arrival night at POR! 17yo decided not to miss practices/scrimmages and be available for whatever coach decides. So we're back to a party of four and sticking with our deal at AKL! We've stayed at BWI or Poly for all other race weekends, so wondering if anyone can share their race transportation experiences from AKL!

The resort craziness of yesterday has ended - I was trying to book everything from GF to Poly studio to an arrival night at POR! 17yo decided not to miss practices/scrimmages and be available for whatever coach decides. So we're back to a party of four and sticking with our deal at AKL! We've stayed at BWI or Poly for all other race weekends, so wondering if anyone can share their race transportation experiences from AKL!

I'm pretty sure @DopeyBadger stayed there for marathon weeekend.

I used them for Princess in 2016. No problems getting there as the buses will go to Kidani and Jambo! My bus driver on the way back from princess half got lost and we all had to tell him how to drive there.

Stayed at AKL the last two Marathon Weekends. Expo bus is easy. Pre-race buses are separate for Jambo and Kidani. We were at Kidani and there were at least 3 buses to pick up right away. Super easy and no concern. When the buses take you back you only share with Jambo. Honestly, a super easy bus experience.

I had a moment of panic because I never rechecked my POT after submitting on Sunday. Thankfully everything looks good to go!

Time to start Dopey training officially next week! I've detailed my training plan here if you're interested (link). I made some adjustments to my goals from back in February (when they were originally stated) because I'm just slightly behind where I thought I'd be right now. Still going for the Sextuple PR Challenge and a Top 25 finish overall by cumulative time at Dopey. Only 91 days until the expo opens!

Also, not sure if I saw it posted on here, but @Keels started a thread for the DIS meet ups including Marathon Weekend (link). I'll have more details about pre-race and post-race as it gets closer, but this is a start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter