Marathon Weekend 2018

Sunday question:

I'll go with World Showcase because I enjoy the different architecture of the buildings and the of course the food options. I think I've mentioned this before but I do wish the pavilions had more to offer on an educational/entertainemnt level but I get that isn't everyone's thing. And space of course restricts this too. To be very specific though I like going in the one shop in England to see what Doctor Who/Sherlock/insert BBC show here merchandise they have. :)

Epcot is my favorite, and I guess I think of it as a whole experience, so I struggle to think of a favorite part. My favorite attraction is Spaceship Earth, although it would be Horizons if it were still around - yes I am still not over it's re-theming. But I love to just stroll through the countries going to shops and getting a few drinks along the way. I am very happy Disney is making some investments in EPCOT for the 35th, but I don't necessarily love the ones I have heard of. I'm a traditionalist, and I liked the original rides and especially the Illuminations of the mid to late 80s and 90s. I would be over the moon happy to see them to bring that back for the anniversary. The chance to share that with my kids.

And I'll echo @PCFriar80, its proximity to BCV and BWV is a huge plus for me.

Today's question is: What is your favorite part about Epcot?

The day of the marathon, I just love wandering WS while "rehydrating" :drinking1. The kids love doing Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, bouncing all over chasing the clues while I slowly meander behind them at post-marathon pace.

My other favorite part, on non-race weekends, is DiveQuest. If you are a certified diver this is a must do experience. Playing with the kids through the glass, and with people dining at Coral Reef, is so much fun. I always feel like a cast-member when I do this

This is going to sound like a cop-out ... but my favorite part about Epcot is just the fact that it exists!

It's no secret that it's my favorite park - growing up in Orlando will do that to you! From Middle School until my Junior year in high school, EVERY YEAR we got to take a field trip to Epcot and that day was just, well, magic. You had to complete a scavenger hunt that involved touring all the countries and riding all the rides. You got to have lunch wherever you wanted. You got to roam around and explore with your friends WITHOUT CHAPERONES! I mean ... it was like a little tiny dose of freedom.

When I'm home, I usually go once or twice a week just to watch Illuminations. I love that I can park and walk to the front gate easily and don't need a shuttle or other transport to get to the park (I'm looking at YOU, MK). I love taking a book or my iPad or my laptop and hanging out in the World Showcase. I love chatting with the international CMs.

My favorite Illuminations area is also a place where the Plaids take Candlelight Processional performers and their families to watch Illuminations (if they don't want to watch from Germany). I've had a chance to meet and chat with Blair Underwood and Chandra Wilson (Dr. Bailey from 'Grey's Anatomy'), which was amazing since I was just there drinking a beer and watching my favorite evening show.

This is my answer, too - the fact that it exists. My home park was DL, and my first visit to WDW was shortly after Epcot opened. Epcot has always been my favorite park - it's so different from the rest and there is a mix of something for everyone there. And Illuminations is the best show on property, in my opinion. They can update it or not - love old favorites, interested to see new developments - Epcot can do no wrong.

During a high school trip to Orlando, we could pick either MK or Epcot and I lobbied a group of friends to choose Epcot and planned the day. Today, two of our three kids rank Epcot as their favorite park. Always trying to recruit more Epcot fans!

Room only and ticket package discounts are online. No SPD packages, yet.

According to the Jan/Feb Discount thread, the results have been underwhelming.
I was just popping in to say the same thing. Honestly, I'm not an expert so I have no idea if these are "underwhelming" but I'll gladly accept my $60 back from Disney for three nights stay at a value.

This will be my first trip as an AP so I put off booking my reservation until discounts came out since I’m booking room only. Availability seems to be different on computer vs mobile so I was happy to find All Star Sports available when I checked from my phone. So, I’m finally completely booked for marathon weekend! I’ll keep an eye out to see if AP discounts will save me any more money when those are released (historically later October) but I’m very relieved to finally have my hotel booked. Now I just have to wait for fast passes. Oh, and I guess do a bunch of running too. :rotfl:

I was just popping in to say the same thing. Honestly, I'm not an expert so I have no idea if these are "underwhelming" but I'll gladly accept my $60 back from Disney for three nights stay at a value.

True enough! That's a good way of looking at things.

Someone in the other thread was talking about a 15% discount at AoA, and getting like $37 back. For two nights, that sounds about right. For anything longer, something went wonky.

The thing for me - 5k and 10k are warm-up distances for me. For me to pay that much $$ to run that distance, the course has to be worth it. Running the same basic course 4 times in 4 days = boring.
I couldnt agree more... I do not think anything is wrong with the course BUT it does get boring when doing both the 5 and 10k for not only WDW but then to do it again at Princess weekend... so I am a little excited to see the wine and dine 5k to be a change up as I loved expeditions course (and I am aware its not the exact same course but still has similarities).

I will say though, one of the best moments of running the same course over and over is during on of the 10k's I was in a later corral and got to experience the sun rising with hot air balloons over germany. Silly to some but it was truly magical to experience (or maybe it was hormones as I was 25 weeks preggo :) )

Marathon Weekend discounts are just horrible. We were interested in WL, but it's only a 10% and all that's available is a courtyard with bunk beds. Boo. So even if I keep checking availability, it's never getting better than 10%.

So I booked at AKL this morning with a 25% discount on a standard room - no additional discount for Disney Visa on that room category, but that could change. Love AKL, but we just stayed there in August and I was hoping for something near water this time - WL or YC maybe.

Also, we have an extra adult now because oldest son is 18. Although the extra charge for his presence in the room is really nothing compared to the cost of the food he consumes. :)

Marathon Weekend discounts are just horrible. We were interested in WL, but it's only a 10% and all that's available is a courtyard with bunk beds. Boo. So even if I keep checking availability, it's never getting better than 10%.

So I booked at AKL this morning with a 25% discount on a standard room - no additional discount for Disney Visa on that room category, but that could change. Love AKL, but we just stayed there in August and I was hoping for something near water this time - WL or YC maybe.

Also, we have an extra adult now because oldest son is 18. Although the extra charge for his presence in the room is really nothing compared to the cost of the food he consumes. :)
Unfortunately marathon weekend this year falls when many schools are still off and the discounts aren't as needed since they will fill the rooms.

Unfortunately marathon weekend this year falls when many schools are still off and the discounts aren't as needed since they will fill the rooms.

It's not just marathon weekend. The entire winter discount (Jan 1 - April 14) is 10% for WL, Poly and CR.

It's not just marathon weekend. The entire winter discount (Jan 1 - April 14) is 10% for WL, Poly and CR.
I know. I think it just shows that Disney doesn't need to give the 20%+ discounts during that time because the rooms are already booked. Disney only gives those larger discounts when bookings are quite soft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter