Marathon Weekend 2018

In some bizarre non-running related news:

Irma came through North Georgia a couple of weeks ago.
We were without power for 4 days. Minor damage: a few limbs down and a split branch in a giant oak behind our screen porch.
This afternoon DW and 2 DCs (darling cats) and I were on the screen porch (between DopeyBadger sightings)
DW: I haven't seen that broken branch yet. I'm going to go out and look at it.
Me: Don't go out UNDER it. Look from the driveway, over the house.
DW goes and looks.
We come in from the porch and...
30 seconds later, KA-BOOM! The branch fell and took another one with it!
If you are thinking 'it's a branch, how big of a deal can it be?', there are 2 branches, maybe 30+ feet long and a foot in diameter. It's probably 2-3000 lbs of tree!
The good news is other than a bird feeder and some garden ironwork, there's no damage to the house, porch, retaining walls or sidewalk.
Someone (not me) must be living right!

upload_2017-10-1_14-35-10.png

Happy Sunday and happy 35th birthday to Epcot!

Today's question is: What is your favorite part about Epcot?

My answer: It is such a unique park, it celebrates many aspects of life, culture, and Walt. I love spaceship earth and that I can travel the world in 1 day. I wish I could have seen this magnificent park on opening day in 1982.

The changing exhibits in the Japan pavilion. Well, and all the bars which support DATW. :)

We were without power for 4 days. Minor damage: a few limbs down and a split branch in a giant oak behind our screen porch.
This afternoon DW and 2 DCs (darling cats) and I were on the screen porch (between DopeyBadger sightings)
DW goes and looks.
If you are thinking 'it's a branch, how big of a deal can it be?', there are 2 branches, maybe 30+ feet long and a foot in diameter. It's probably 2-3000 lbs of tree!
The good news is other than a bird feeder and some garden ironwork, there's no damage to the house, porch, retaining walls or sidewalk.

View attachment 273916
WHOA! That was some luck! Very weird timing.

Sunday Question:

On the big picture side of things I love that Epcot is such a laid-back alternative to the other parks. I never find myself rushing to do anything while I'm there and I've had wonderful experiences on days where we haven't done a single ride (Well, we probably rode something; but no FP planned). The food is all tremendous and it offers so many amazing alternatives for everyone.

On a more focused level I'd say Figment, les Halles, Restaurant Marrakesh, and being there during the Festivals (I was fortunate enough to be there for Flower & Garden and Food & Wine this year and both were really cool even though I only got a small glimpse).

SQOTD: Epcot is actually right up there in favorite parks for me...tied with AK for second place actually.

I love the it embraces both learning as well as international friendship. I love that it has alcohol (YEAH!!!) My favorite ride in EP is TT followed by the classic SSE-the ride that makes EP EP!

DW goes and looks.

View attachment 273916

Wow - glad you are both OK with no damage to the house!

SQOTD:
Epcot is my second favorite park, there are so many things about it that I love. But if I had to narrow it to one item I guess it would be the opportunity it provides to explore other cultures, learn a few things and eat lots of good food! I completely nerd out on the shows, mini-museums, shops, etc. I also really enjoy talking to the cast members in the different countries to get their perspectives on the USA, Disney and how authentic (or not) their world is, etc.

DW goes and looks.

View attachment 273916
Glad everyone is safe! When I worked in the park service we use to call the redwoods branches that fell widow makers. They are super dangerous! The house we loved in had a "branch" fall through the ceiling in the master bedroom before we moved in. It totalled the whole room and adjoining bathroom. I used to say what are the chances of that happening twice in this same place? It made our bedroom the safest space in the park! :)

Sunday question: I love being able to wander around World Showcase (especially at night) and finish the evening off will Illuminations!

This is going to sound like a cop-out ... but my favorite part about Epcot is just the fact that it exists!

It's no secret that it's my favorite park - growing up in Orlando will do that to you! From Middle School until my Junior year in high school, EVERY YEAR we got to take a field trip to Epcot and that day was just, well, magic. You had to complete a scavenger hunt that involved touring all the countries and riding all the rides. You got to have lunch wherever you wanted. You got to roam around and explore with your friends WITHOUT CHAPERONES! I mean ... it was like a little tiny dose of freedom.

When I'm home, I usually go once or twice a week just to watch Illuminations. I love that I can park and walk to the front gate easily and don't need a shuttle or other transport to get to the park (I'm looking at YOU, MK). I love taking a book or my iPad or my laptop and hanging out in the World Showcase. I love chatting with the international CMs.

My favorite Illuminations area is also a place where the Plaids take Candlelight Processional performers and their families to watch Illuminations (if they don't want to watch from Germany). I've had a chance to meet and chat with Blair Underwood and Chandra Wilson (Dr. Bailey from 'Grey's Anatomy'), which was amazing since I was just there drinking a beer and watching my favorite evening show.

DW goes and looks.

View attachment 273916

Holy [censored]!

I'm glad you're alright!

Happy Sunday and happy 35th birthday to Epcot!

Epcot is my favorite park because I am a self-professed nerd. I love knowledge and learning. I appreciate that there is so much to discover and absorb at Epcot that is not just standard classroom/lecture hall information. Whether it is physical science, culture, gastronomy, architecture, etc., Epcot has it in abundance to the point it oozes it everywhere and you would have to basically turn off all your senses to not take in some facet of knowledge. (No surprise that Animal Kingdom is my #2.) It is why I wanted to work there during my CP days and was so very glad I had that opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter