Marathon Weekend 2018

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I love the 5K and 10K route for Marathon Weekend. I wouldn't be against them mixing it up, but I don't think they are bad courses by any stretch and you don't get to run in the dark with the torches lit in the later races (at least I don't, maybe the Elite runners do). It certainly feels like a much different experience than Epcot during the Half (I barely consider what the Half does as running in Epcot) or the full (later in the day, while the park is open, in most cases). I understand how it could become a little boring for return runners, but for first-timers they are both amazing courses IMO. When I talk to people who aren't looking to run a Full Marathon I lean heavily toward recommending the 5K and 10K over the Half because the courses are so much nicer. I mean MK is cool and all, but 13.1 is a long distance to cover where that is the only highlight.

ETA: I can definitely see how running both the 5K and 10K in one weekend can feel redundant since they are so similar. It doesn't bother me because I love Epcot, but if they were to move one of the two races to focus on another park (preferably the 5K) I wouldn't complain.

Running through Epcot for that 10k is a highlight for me. I loved that the torches were lit. It is magical to me. First I sorta tear up and then I just get the biggest and silliest smile. This year I will do the 10k with my son so it will be even more special to me.

I want to say 2016 looked like the old-school Epcot logo.

2015 was TERRIBLE glittery pink running shoes. @Ariel484 has a picture in her Dopey TR from that year - it's in the Half Marathon recap.

Cool, thanks, so they do mix it up.

My girl was thinking about the jacket, and if it looks like this year's design she'd be gung ho about it. If it looks like the 2015 one, she'd rather not.

This is what I found for the 2015 jacket after you told me what to look for:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c78c7AC2E...cvr3w9A/s1600/Disney+marathon+jacket+2015.jpg

The 90s called, they want their neon back :D

I want to say 2016 looked like the old-school Epcot logo.

2015 was TERRIBLE glittery pink running shoes. @Ariel484 has a picture in her Dopey TR from that year - it's in the Half Marathon recap.

Agreed. The 2015 jacket is what made me vow to never buy a pre-order jacket again!

Cool, thanks, so they do mix it up.

My girl was thinking about the jacket, and if it looks like this year's design she'd be gung ho about it. If it looks like the 2015 one, she'd rather not.

This is what I found for the 2015 jacket after you told me what to look for:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c78c7AC2EiU/VMBGV-vxxpI/AAAAAAAAI8s/tFJccvr3w9A/s1600/Disney+marathon+jacket+2015.jpg

The 90s called, they want their neon back :D

This year's pre-order jacket was an impulse buy for me ... and I was SO glad I did! Dopey was solo on the front of the jacket, so it made it feel like a Dopey jacket to me, and it meant I didn't have to buy another jacket!

Powerade Sangria??? Tell me more!

It's at Satul'i Canteen ... they say it's got a touch of blue curacao, but it tastes (and drinks) like blue Powerade mixed with white wine, and it has whole grapes in it (weird).

Agreed. The 2015 jacket is what made me vow to never buy a pre-order jacket again!

I really lucked out this year ... so, I'm just dumb enough I decided to test my luck with the W&D pre-order and another Marathon Weekend pre-order. Either way, I like the style of these Champion jackets because I wear them over my swimsuit or tri suit when I go to/from the pool for a workout or before group swim. Helps to have a couple handy, and they always get lots of comments and questions about the race weekends!

I really lucked out this year ... so, I'm just dumb enough I decided to test my luck with the W&D pre-order and another Marathon Weekend pre-order. Either way, I like the style of these Champion jackets because I wear them over my swimsuit or tri suit when I go to/from the pool for a workout or before group swim. Helps to have a couple handy, and they always get lots of comments and questions about the race weekends!
and there are no returns on the pre-order jackets, right?

and there are no returns on the pre-order jackets, right?

They weren't allowing them at W&D last year in any capacity, but at Marathon Weekend they were allowing size swaps but not returns.

That said, I've seen people able to sell them on RunDisney FB groups pretty quickly and for cost+Active fees.

I will add my two cents to the discussion on the Champion jackets:
I LOVE my one from W&D, for those of you that live in colder climates (I live in Ontario, Canada) they are great winter running gear! I layer underneath and agree with @Keels the fit is fantastic. However they are snug: I own a Medium (whereas I am a small in the disney race shirts) and with layers underneath it is "fitted" moveable to run.

Happy Sunday and happy 35th birthday to Epcot!

Today's question is: What is your favorite part about Epcot?

My answer: It is such a unique park, it celebrates many aspects of life, culture, and Walt. I love spaceship earth and that I can travel the world in 1 day. I wish I could have seen this magnificent park on opening day in 1982.

SQOTD: Wandering the World Showcase and enjoying the feel, food and drink of the different cultures from around the world.

Bonus Geek Answer: Discovering the Kingdom Hearts game available to play in Innoventions. I'd never heard of it at the time, but after trying it there it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time.

Honorable Meintion to the Hydrolators to Sea Base Alpha and Ellen Degeneres who complimented my 5yo on her hair on the way into Energy Adventure (or so the 5yo thought).

I just love Epcot in general!!

What I love about Epcot is also what irks me about Epcot.

I love Epcot being two parks in one.

I'm irked because there's such a huge disconnect between the two sides.

It's supposed to be a mix between a World's Fair and a, for lack of a better term, a showcase of the world. But I still fail to grasp how Test Track and Sommerfest relate beyond that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter