Marathon Weekend 2018

No, that's Charles. The weather was always the opposite of what he planned
Yeah. I miss him.

Well my Dopey sim last week was interrupted. My grandmother ended up going into hospice on Sunday and she passed away two nights ago. With everything going on and the funeral in the morning, I haven’t done any running. And I know she wouldn’t want me to be upset. She was always so excited to see pics from the races - especially the character and medal pics (Grammys know what’s really important when it comes to running). But it’s hard to want to do anything but lay in bed right now. Since my office is closed on Monday, I’m going to try and get out and do a mini sim this weekend (hopefully 5/10/20). I leave next Saturday for Florida and I’m going to try and do exactly what she would want me to do - have a good time and enjoy myself in Disney with my friends.

I'm so sorry for your loss

But you packed all those winter clothes. If you get to use them at least you'll be able to justify bringing them to Mr. Keels.
I'm perfectly fine with helping make that explanation if it means it's not ridiculously cold at the start.

My only "issues" with runners and music are the obvious communication issues they can present if the runner isn't paying attention or had it too loud and then on race day its less people to talk to. For a race like Disney it isn't that big of an issue because there will be enough people around without headphones but it's taken alot of the joy out of smaller local/regional races when everyone within a .10 mi radius of you has head phones in.

Races are a good way to show community support, meet new people and make some long runs not be so miserable but when you're essentially running alone it takes alot of the fun out for me.
Yeah I understand how music can help people and if someone has trained with music I can see how it would make it more comfortable to race with it. I'd suggest running with only one headphone in though. As we've seen there are going to be people of varying paces in a lot of the corrals, that means there is going to be a lot of passing. It's really frustrating to have people run into you, when you call out "passing on your left/right" because they aren't paying attention, didn't hear you and aren't holding a consistent line.

I run a lot on local greenways/trails and I am always shocked by the number of people that are running with both headphones in and music turned up load enough that they can't hear me approaching. They wind up freaked out when I pass them.

At the advice of people on this forum I wound up buying some aftershokz. I love running with them as I can have music playing but it doesn't block any of the noise from my surroundings.

Thats how it was the last few times I've done it as well.
Yeah I pretty much only do marathon weekend (Since they cancelled the Everest Challenge) so I haven't gotten to experience it with that setup. I think of the last 7 MWs all the recent ones had the Main runDisney Merch in Visa/Jostens with a smaller setup of it in HP.

Last year they posted the merch preview the day before the expo opened. This year they did Princess the day before the expo opened, Star Wars the day of the expo opening, and I'm not sure they previewed Wine & Dine at all.

Edit: I didn't mention DL races because they've always seemed less consistent with the time they post their merch previews.

Would you (or anyone else who has early access) be willing to post whether they decided to do two entrances to HP Field House or whether they expect everyone regardless of whether they are picking up bibs or purchasing merch to wait in the same line?
I'm guessing pics of lines and merch will start showing up here pretty shortly after the early entrance opens up.

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_22

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

5k - 59 runners (46 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 63 runners (49 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 74 runners (48 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 88 runners (74 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!

That spreadsheet is AMAZING! Thank you, DopeyBadger!

Well my Dopey sim last week was interrupted. My grandmother ended up going into hospice on Sunday and she passed away two nights ago. With everything going on and the funeral in the morning, I haven’t done any running. And I know she wouldn’t want me to be upset. She was always so excited to see pics from the races - especially the character and medal pics (Grammys know what’s really important when it comes to running). But it’s hard to want to do anything but lay in bed right now. Since my office is closed on Monday, I’m going to try and get out and do a mini sim this weekend (hopefully 5/10/20). I leave next Saturday for Florida and I’m going to try and do exactly what she would want me to do - have a good time and enjoy myself in Disney with my friends.

So sorry for your loss.

2015-10-02-1443752740-8864089-daddy1.jpeg

What I have learned is that predicting weather patterns more than 10 days in advance is pretty much pointless. Guess we will wait until next week to get a better idea of temps.
The point of this weather speculation now isn't to actually figure out what the weather is going to be. It's just fun to speculate and obsesses. When I fly down for Dopey on Tuesday I'm guessing there's only a 50% chance that the forecasted weather for that Sunday is accurate.

The point of this weather speculation now isn't to actually figure out what the weather is going to be. It's just fun to speculate and obsesses. When I fly down for Dopey on Tuesday I'm guessing there's only a 50% chance that the forecasted weather for that Sunday is accurate.
It gives us Disney obsessed, taper crazy, impatient people something to do ;)

Weather... as a Floridian, I'm used to checking the forecast daily this time of year: dressing for work when it's 80* and sunny is rather different than dressing for 50* and pouring rain! It really is too early to forecast anything very day-specific, but... all outlets are forecasting a front near marathon weekend. Could be a weak front, could be a strong front, could come faster than expected and be gone by the time races start, could come in the middle of them, could stall and hit after we're done. All unknown. Which is causing me stress. I need to get a full, official Dopey done so I can put it to rest, lol!

I really don't care what the weather is - hot, cold, humid, rain, wind, whatever... just no thunderstorms again!!! Two years in a row would break me I think! Since I am only running the half again this year I would really really like to get this race in. Second times the charm, right?

I really don't care what the weather is - hot, cold, humid, rain, wind, whatever... just no thunderstorms again!!! Two years in a row would break me I think! Since I am only running the half again this year I would really really like to get this race in. Second times the charm, right?

I think it's third time, but who's counting? :teacher: Plus, there's a no math rule anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter