Marathon Weekend 2017!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the full marathon course @WDW. The second 13.1 is just more emotional for me. I actually enjoy Osceola Pkwy because I start to reflect on the journey as a whole. I don't mind running in WWoS. And I know as soon as I leave DHS and head into the BW, BC/YC resort area and take that first step in Epcot, I'm about to be a sentimental wreck. #tearsofjoybegin
t

I did not enjoy WWOS... I am going to make myself like it this year..

My God daughter had given me a note that she dictated to her dad and he wrote out for me.. And she told me that if I needed it to help me finish I could read it anytime or once I got into Epcot to read it.. I was happy I was able to wait to Ecpot. All it said was "I love you Uncle D" I'm a 40 something year old man and pretty much lost it :)

After feeling sad from seeing the 10K sell out so fast and missing out, I opted for the half and now I need someone to talk me off the ledge. This will be my first half!:hyper:
Great, you'll love it!

I'm glad to see I won't be the only one running their first WDW race or their first marathon next January! I'll be looking for all your smiling faces out on the course!

Congrats!! It was my first marathon also!!! Along with the first Dopey :D

Congrats to everyone who got in! I can't believe only the 5k and 10k are sold out so far.

And just for reference, what time did the 10k first go on hold? Does anyone know approximately? My sister is really really hoping to get in to the Star Wars 10k for next year, and I want to know if she should be okay if she gets on right away. Especially if someone posts an active link like @Keels did for today. I went into the registration queue today just out of curiosity (from the RunDisney page - so I got the little green man for around 10 minutes.) The 10k was on hold when I got to the registration page around 25 minutes after registration opened.

10K went on hold around 15-20 minutes in, and the 5K went on hold shortly after that. It came back up a couple times, but both were officially sold out within the first hour.

t
I did not enjoy WWOS... I am going to make myself like it this year..

This works! On a particularly tough hill during a local half, some guy starting singing, "Everybody loves a hill." It was really funny. And now it's stuck in my head and I sing it on hills - either out loud if I'm running with someone or in my head if I'm not. I actually changed my view of hills because of that guy. Maybe you could sing, "Everybody loves WWOS!"

This is my first half! I can barely do a 5K. I am hoping to make it within the pacing time! I saw a lot people that finished the princess half that didn't seem that fit (like myself) I am going to try my best!

You'll be fine! Just keep slowly upping your mileage and don't worry about going too fast. It's more about getting your legs ready for the distance than your lungs if you aren't that worried about time.

This is my first time trying the Dopey. Anyone finish it a previous year have any tips for it? I think I'm going to take the first 3 races pretty slow so I can save myself to try and post a decent enough time in the marathon.

This is my first time trying the Dopey. Anyone finish it a previous year have any tips for it? I think I'm going to take the first 3 races pretty slow so I can save myself to try and post a decent enough time in the marathon.

Dopey isn't much different than training for a marathon. A few back to back runs can be helpful but are not required. The key for the weekend is to stay well fueled and well hydrated. Do that, and you'll be fine.

Yeah, 4 days of alarms at 345am is no fun

You're able to push it that late? I've read a few articles and runDisney advice columns and they all seem to be suggesting getting up at 2:30 am, which is insane to me. 3:45 is early, but being that close to 4 am at least makes it seem somewhat manageable. I'm staying at Saratoga Springs if that helps anyone in recommending a time to get up.

You're able to push it that late? I've read a few articles and runDisney advice columns and they all seem to be suggesting getting up at 2:30 am, which is insane to me. 3:45 is early, but being that close to 4 am at least makes it seem somewhat manageable. I'm staying at Saratoga Springs if that helps anyone in recommending a time to get up.
It depends on where you're staying,are you driving or taking the bus,what your morning routine is like, for example I found out on these boards apparently many runners don't shower in the morning,which for me is not possible,not for the cleanliness aspect but simply that showers wake me up,I'm like a different person after a shower.For the Dark side challenge for example the 10K was starting at 5:30 which is the same time as the January half and full,for that race I woke up at 2:30,for the half however which was the earliest starting RunDisney race ever starting at 5am I woke up at 2am,crazy!!!For these races I did stay offsite very close to the parks so the drive was very easy,I probably could have gotten 30 more minutes of sleep each day but I rather get there early and have no issues.For the January races I will be staying onsite as I always do and I always take the buses which runners are supposed to board between 3-4am.The year I did Goofy I got on the 3am bus for the half and the bus got there with plenty of time,the next day however I got to the bus stop at 3:30 and the line to board was huge and once I finally got on the bus we got traffic at Buena Vista dr and I ended up getting to my corral almost as they were singing the national anthem from all the delays,using the porta potty and the walk over to the corral which is like 15 minutes,these are all things to think about.But if you want to get sleep and are in a corral near the back or even if you're not and you want to start back there those corrals don't start until like 6:15-6:25.I prefer to try to go to sleep real early,get up and shower,eat something and get there with enough time to soak up the atmosphere and get ready for the race.On a side note the day of the half for the Star Wars challenge that I got up at 2am I amazingly stayed up all day going to sleep almost at midnight,from like 9pm on I felt like I could have passed out at any moment.It was like 22 hours up after running a half.

Last edited:
You'll be fine! Just keep slowly upping your mileage and don't worry about going too fast. It's more about getting your legs ready for the distance than your lungs if you aren't that worried about time.

dopey was my first marathon and only my second half, I took the 5k and 10k as slow training runs, the half was a walk/run system and i really slowed to enjoy the views and the athmosphere in the parks.then lots of rest and an ice bath after the half. the full was actually not too bad. one thing that helped was running multiple day back to back simulate the dopey. if you train well you will do great!

Yeah, 4 days of alarms at 345am is no fun
we were up at around 250-300 and out the door at 330 to be on the first bu ... it was rough but not having transportation issues and being on the first bus out of the hotel made it worth it . lots of horror stories with the buses ..

We push it to the limit, yes. Up at 345, out the door to the car at 420, drop bags around 5, stop for porta-potties, arrive corrals as the first wave is going off. It's not a system I recommend for everyone, but it has worked for us so far. (knock on wood)

@alexksmith

I tend to get up around 1:45am, but I do go to bed around 5:30-6:00pm the night before. Not a necessity, but I did some mock wake ups during training for my 1st Dopey. It gave me the confidence that a slight downtick in sleep and earlier mornings wouldn't effect me much. However, for the last two years I haven't done any intentional early morning training and haven't really noticed a difference come race day.

I also prefer to race each race and don't tend to take any of them easy. But I'd still agree with others that when I train for Dopey I don't really make any changes to my normal marathon training schedule. I race by effort not by time. Which means when race day comes for the marathon, and I'm tired even at the start line, I just let my equivalent effort for any other marathon (or long run training) guide my pacing. For me personally though, I have a pretty quick recovery system and can be ready to race soon after another race.

Yes, avoid condiment bars & buffets before the races, no joke, I've said it before & I'll tell people again. My marathon was a basically a disaster due to most likely food poisoning from Pecos Bill's guacamole after the half. Also, we learned to bring movies we know put us to sleep, otherwise it can be rough trying to get to sleep before these races we found out. Bring your own breakfast/pre-race foods that you know work for you. Stick to your training plan and you'll be good to go come January, getting a solid base of miles in is sooo important! Good luck it's a blast!

Signed up for the Marathon, and friend from DC is running, too! I have done more than 10 Half Marathons in the last 3 years, but this will be my first full Marathon. I know slower pace and absolute commitment to a training plan are everything. I will start training this Saturday for September DC Navy-Air Force Half (with hills--yikes!), Wine and Dine Half, and Orlando Half. Living in Florida (25 miles from Disney), I will have to rely in part on the treadmill this summer. I will also have to get up at dawn for bearable temperature outdoor running.

Anyway, my tips for Disney running--I have run 3 Princesses, 1 Wine and Dine and 1 Tower of Terror so far:

1. Enjoy the Wide World of Sports Expo (race package pick up and merchant sales)--my favorite part--and have fun buying costume running wear, but make sure your skin is fully protected from chafing--my son's girlfriend ended up with serious chafing from a "Frozen" themed skort that did not protect inner thighs.
2. Corrals are important--95% of you know this--make sure runDisney has your qualifying previous times, or you will be assigned to the back of the pack.
3. If you can swing it--stay on-site at a participating Disney hotel and use their bus to get to the race. Double and triple and quadruple up in rooms if you need to. The traffic into the race venue is horrible. The buses are also incredibly slow, but the route is shorter and you don't have to park.
4. Chear team packages are way overpriced--I have bought them in the past, and they are not worth the money. Your family can easily get to and meet you in the tent area when the race is over. They can also stand in the parking lots at EPCOT and the Ticket and Transportation center for free.
5. We will be in Florida, but it is almost guaranteed to be FREEZING (for a Floridian, this means 50 degrees or colder) at race start. So, I recommend you bring/wear your rattiest sweatshirt/hoodie to throw by the side of the race course, just as you would up North. Disney does pass out Mylar sheets at the end of the race.
6. There are champagne sales at the end. See you there!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter