Marathon Weekend 2017!

What is everyone's thoughts on the Race Retreat package for the 1/2 and full? Anyone ever do it before? I was considering it because I am doing Dopey

I did the inaugural Dopey with race retreat. I am slow. I start mid range in the corrals and I stop for photos and hugs with friends that come to chEar, so I finish slower. I didn't get to spend a ton of time post race either day at the retreat, but got there plenty early and spent a fair amount of time pre-race. That was my first full, so I wanted to minimize the hassles pre-race. Is it worth the money, tough call. For me, I would liken it to trip insurance. The biggest and to me most valuable part of the race retreat package is the heated tent with seating. After the frozen sleet and snow of Marathon Weekend 2010, I wanted to be sure to have someplace warm just in case. For the second Dopey in 2015, I didn't get the race retreat and was just as pleased. If I were doing it in 2017 and had the extra cash, I would probably do it again. I attend race weekends for the race and like to take in as much of that as possible.

I did the race retreat for this past Princess. I'm a solid middle of the pack runner. Not fast, and not last. I was at AKV so I hopped over to EPCOT pretty easy and I was there for a good 30-45 minutes before the race. It was warm(compared to the relative chill outside), dry, food/drink, and calm. Having a bag check that literally took less than 5 minutes for drop off and pick up combined was amazing, I thought. After race, I would have enjoyed it longer, but I ended up injuring myself during the race so I came in about 20ish minutes slower than I would have hoped. Add in medical tent, and being slow to get back to the retreat meant that I wasn't in there as long as I'd planned on. The food was still around then, and there were massages (BRING CASH) going on. The promo item was a sweat towel, but it's more face cloth sized. Plus there are photo ops before and after the race. Porto potties with no lines.

All in all, I thought it was totally worth it for the convenience, but YMMV. Cost may be a big factor for some but I am blessed that it was not an issue for me.

I did Race Retreat twice for past Princess races... never again. I eat breakfast before leaving, so no need for that, and frankly the food was merely okay, anyway. I thought it would be great to have the tent in case of inclement weather, but have since stood around outside in near-freezing temps and in pouring rain - and I was fine. So I don't need that. Bag check works perfectly well without RR, and "private" porta-potties had lines just as long, and potties just as stinky, as outside RR. So yeah, I have no interest in spending that money again :)

I saw these posted on Facebook from a Travel Agent...don't forget to add in an additional 6.5-7% of the coast in Active.com fees!

Walt Disney World 5K: $70
Walt Disney World 10K: $115
Walt Disney World Half Marathon: $175
Walt Disney World Marathon: $175
Goofy Challenge: $370
Dopey Challenge: $580

I was just coming on here to hunt for race prices since they're not listed on runDisney yet, and lo and behold, here they are! :cool1: Thanks for always being so helpful, Ariel484! :thanks:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the race retreat. Very helpful. I am a back of the pack person, so I did not even think about the tent closing down soon after i finished.

So excited!!! Been checking everyday for the Castaway Cay challenge to be added to the Run Disney Marathon Weenend page! Today it is up there!! Booked my cruise months ago!!! Now to secure that registration! Anyone else doing the challenge?

Does anyone know when pricing info is updated? Trying to figure out how much the marathon is going to cost.

If anyone knows last year's price that would help. Thanks!

The marathon doesn't usually sell out in an hour, does it?

I won't be able to get to a computer until 130 central time. I think I read in one of these threads that it doesn't sell out as fast as the other races.

Or should I just try to get off early that day?

I won't be able to get to a computer until 130 central time. I think I read in one of these threads that it doesn't sell out as fast as the other races.

No the marathon takes a while to sell out. You should be fine. If you want a challenge it the smaller races those are what sell out.,

Last year the marathon was still available in August. Goofy was available into June. It really seems to be Dopey and the 10k that you have to worry about going quickly.

Last year the marathon was still available in August. Goofy was available into June. It really seems to be Dopey and the 10k that you have to worry about going quickly.
The half went quickly last year as well. The half might be popular again this year with it being the 20th anniversary.

2017 Mickey will be my first full marathon ever!!! Better late than never!!! I am really encouraged that registration has been open for this race more than a few minutes. I feel like I could start a daily countdown already.

Hi all! I'm super excited to run my first half this year. I'd like to do the 5k, 10k, and half all in one trip. When you sign up for a Disney race, can you choose multiple races to sign up for at once, or do you have to register for them individually? If individually, should I prioritize the 5k or 10k first as I've gathered those usually sell out the fastest? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi all! I'm super excited to run my first half this year. I'd like to do the 5k, 10k, and half all in one trip. When you sign up for a Disney race, can you choose multiple races to sign up for at once, or do you have to register for them individually? If individually, should I prioritize the 5k or 10k first as I've gathered those usually sell out the fastest? Thanks for your help in advance!

You will need to do individual registrations for each race unless there is a Challenge. Since there isn't currently a challenge that combines any combination of the 5K, 10K and Half it looks like it will be three individual registrations. Someone else may be able to give you exact timetables, but I believe the 5K, 10K, and Half all sold out within the first couple hours of registration opening last year. I think the 10k and 5K were sold out marginally faster than the half.

From what I've witnessed lately, I'd probably register for the 10K first, then the half and then the 5K. It also appeared from what I read about the Wine and Dine registration that once you were through the queue you could do multiple registrations back to back without having to queue again.

I'm so excited for this new marathon weekend! I'm going to be doing my first half and hopefully will get to run the 10k with the boyfriend. I'm just worried about what happens if one of us gets in the 10k and the other doesn't. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

From what I've witnessed lately, I'd probably register for the 10K first, then the half and then the 5K. It also appeared from what I read about the Wine and Dine registration that once you were through the queue you could do multiple registrations back to back without having to queue again.

I'd swap the order of the half and the 5k. I don't think the half during marathon weekend sold out as fast as the two shorter races last year. Wine and Dine sold out very quickly, as does Princess, but the other half-distance races at WDW take longer to do so.

Anyone have the scoop on whether there will be early registration for AP holders? Nothing on runDisney, so I'm thinking.....maybe not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter