Marathon Weekend 2016

Cool! This is our 17th Disney Cruise. We were just on the Dream this summer so I'm hoping to see some of our favorite CMs from then (club host Jameszy and bartenders Benita and Adam). And I'm so excited Satellite Falls is now on this ship. Hoping its warm enough for it. :) If you spot a couple in their 40s wearing medals, and probably limping, with 2 teenage sons (if they want to be with us), say hi! :)
Wow - 17th Disney cruise?!? That's awesome! Hoping it will be warm enough on the cruise as well. We're tracking weather at all three locations - currently Anaheim is coldest with temps in the high 30s to mid 40s now until race time so thinking that Rebel Challenge will be our coldest runs. Will be on the lookout to say "hi", we'll also be 40s-something couple with medals but we managed to leave the kids home this time for our runcation.

Good morning folks! Great responses from everyone on my little series of questions yesterday. Since it seemed to go so well, lets play the game again.

Question of the Day (QOTD)
So here it is, you just crossed the finish line of your last race and received your medal. You are on top of the world and already thinking about the next one! What are 3 things you are going to do / looking forward to doing post race?

Thanks for the boost you gave the thread LSUlakes!

1. Relish the moment and get my picture with Dopey!
2. Find some chocolate milk and an ice bath, then go play in the parks with newly acquired bling!
3. Start thinking about my first ultra (in September)

Been a while since I've been on Disboards, so I'll answer both sets of Questions:

1. I will be 6 weeks post major surgery and not cleared to run yet. I will be power walking Dopey #3
2. Is it possible to not look forward to a Disney trip? This is my first solo trip (DH passed away last June), so playing this one by ear
3. Coming from frigid Southern California on a 5-ish hour flight Tuesday.

1. Linger in a long, hot shower until my fingers look like raisins
2. Eat a big, fat, juicy cheeseburger and wash it down with a bigger, fatter, juicier beer
3. Take a nap and maybe check out the festivities at DTD

Wow, thanks for the courage in your response! You offer incredible perspective! I do hope the trip is everything you need it to be.

Question of the Day (QOTD)
So here it is, you just crossed the finish line of your last race and received your medal. You are on top of the world and already thinking about the next one! What are 3 things you are going to do / looking forward to doing post race?

Yay QOTD.

1. Eat some food.
2. Swimming pool.
3. Splurge on wine at California Grill that evening... Something really good with each course. Haven't been there before and am kind of excited for an adult meal. (no nuggets or cheesy sauces in sight.)

Note to self: buy chocolate milk.

...For all your running friends from the DIS forum and one for yourself as well!

Unrelated to the above, but I just realized that tomorrow is a big day! Not only will we have our new installment of QOTD, but it will also be monthly/yearly mileage post... while we are at, may have to include another weather update. I think its official, I have a problem with posting to much this week.

Last edited:
Question. I got my email encouraging me to download the race waiver, and went to the site. Unfortunately, when I entered my name and dob, , a "name not found" message flashed me. I've run with Disney before, and I have my receipt for registration. I emailed them back, but haven't heard a word. Is this a big deal, or not? What's my next move?

Wow - 17th Disney cruise?!? That's awesome! Hoping it will be warm enough on the cruise as well. We're tracking weather at all three locations - currently Anaheim is coldest with temps in the high 30s to mid 40s now until race time so thinking that Rebel Challenge will be our coldest runs. Will be on the lookout to say "hi", we'll also be 40s-something couple with medals but we managed to leave the kids home this time for our runcation.

Nice! We did kidless trips for our C2C trips last year (star wars and W&D), but this whole trip started with them pushing to go on a cruise this winter and before I knew it, DH and I had signed up for a marathon. I'm still not sure how this happened. ;)

And I agree, I want to see merchandise! I'm sure not much will be left when I get there but I have given my niece who lives down there orders to get me an "I did it shirt" as she plans to go check it all out.

Stupid question here...why chocolate milk? I'm not a milk drinker to begin with but I'm thinking that is the last thing I would want after running. I'm sure I'm missing something since I've never done this before.

Last edited:
Question. I got my email encouraging me to download the race waiver, and went to the site. Unfortunately, when I entered my name and dob, , a "name not found" message flashed me. I've run with Disney before, and I have my receipt for registration. I emailed them back, but haven't heard a word. Is this a big deal, or not? What's my next move?

Try changing your birthday around a bit - people have reported that their DOB in the system is off by a day or a year. I don't know why this happens, but unfortunately, it's not an irregular issue.
If that doesn't work ... I really hope they get back to you soon!

Stupid question here...why chocolate milk? I'm not a milk drinker to begin wit but I'm thinking that is the last thing I would want after running. I'm sure I'm missing something since I've never done this before.

From what I've read ... protein + carbs. Good combination for recovery.
Also, it's yummy.

Nice! We did kidless trips for our C2C trips last year (star wars and W&D), but this whole trip started with them pushing to go on a cruise this winter and before I knew it, DH and I had signed up for a marathon. I'm still not sure how this happened. ;)

And I agree, I want to see merchandise! I'm sure not much will be left when I get there but I have given my niece who lives down there orders to get me an "I did it shirt" as she plans to go check it all out.

Stupid question here...why chocolate milk? I'm not a milk drinker to begin wit but I'm thinking that is the last thing I would want after running. I'm sure I'm missing something since I've never done this before.

Chocolate milk provides an ideal ratio of protein and carbs recommend for recovery. It is suggested to consume within the hour of completing a hard workout or race. It's also delicious and even more so after a long hard run. I highly recommend it!

Try changing your birthday around a bit - people have reported that their DOB in the system is off by a day or a year. I don't know why this happens, but unfortunately, it's not an irregular issue.
Yes has that problem my birth year was entered a year off which led to some problems. I emailed them they fixed it eventually but that was months ago.

Chocolate milk provides an ideal ratio of protein and carbs recommend for recovery. It is suggested to consume within the hour of completing a hard workout or race. It's also delicious and even more so after a long hard run. I highly recommend it!
Yep I drank chocolate milk all the time after football practice.

Extremely important marathon question :)

I'm pretty sure I saw someone on this thread (or another related thread) talking about stopping at the McDonalds around mile 15 for a snack. I actually fueled my last 20 miler, in part, by grabbing a $1 mini-cheese burger from McDonalds around mile 12. I'd love to try to grab one during the marathon but I'm worried about how long it'll take to run in there, grab a burger, and then get back out. I'm in corral L, and anticipate a pretty slow pace throughout the race (probably 15 min/mile average). Does the McDonalds there tend to run food through pretty quickly on marathon day? I don't want to risk getting swept for a dumb burger :)

My alternative idea was to get my husband to meet me somewhere on the course (ideally after the halfway point) with a mini-burger. He'll have the rental car so he'll have a little flexibility, but I'm not sure what the best meet up/spectating point would be for him to get to easily. Ideas?

That's interesting. Good to know. Usually the only milk I drink is with kaluah and vodka. I'm guessing that's not as good of an option. ;)

Maybe?
I tend to add coffee to my chocolate milk, but I feel like alcohol may be a little different than coffee...

awesome QOTD (is it crazy I'm looking forward to these everyday now?)
my answers
1. Bask in the shiny glow of my newly acquired bling
2. Meet up with my family and give my son (my inspiration) the biggest bear hug ever wich he will probably be grossed out by due to the amount of sweat that I will be drenched in
3. Somewhere down the line when we get home get a tattoo to commemorate the experience (and it will be my first ink ever :eek::eek:)

Note to self: buy chocolate milk.
+1

Forever unclean!
totally read this in the Ruxin voice without even thinking about it LOL

Unrelated to the above, but I just realized that tomorrow is a big day! Not only will we have our new installment of QOTD, but it will also be monthly/yearly mileage post... while we are at, may have to include another weather update. I think its official, I have a problem with posting to much this week.

I for one am glad the board is picking up steam its giving me something to take my mind of the waiting....

Stupid question here...why chocolate milk? I'm not a milk drinker to begin with but I'm thinking that is the last thing I would want after running. I'm sure I'm missing something since I've never done this before.

Protein Carbs and Deliciousness What more could you ask for...

Problem solved. They had the month and year correct, but were off a day on the day of the month. Thanks for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter