Marathon Jan 9-13 2019; how hard to get around?

montrealdisneylovers

DIS Veteran
We usually come to Disney once a year for 3-5 days around Christmas then head to the beach for a couple of weeks. Next year we are considering coming back to Disney for a couple of nights at the end of the beach vacation. I just noticed that those dates would fall during the Jan 9-13 marathon.

How busy is getting into and out of BLT around those dates? Are there many road closures or do the runs take place on different parts of Disney property? Would getting to the airport on Saturday for a morning flight be an issue?

We were there this year during the marathon. It was certainly busy, Disney Springs for example was mobbed, but the parks were fine, roads were fine and route to airport was fine too.

We didn't have a car so I can't address that issue. However, we were staying at BCV and planned to walk to the Studios, but could not! All the pathways were blocked and we had to take a bus.

I did a reverse trip - from POP to MK, in 2017. It was miserable on the day of the marathon. World Drive was closed down and traffic was snared, so it took almost 2 hours to get there. The ride back was not good either due to all the other closures close to AK.
The other days were fine because the runs covered less distance and took less time to complete.

We usually come to Disney once a year for 3-5 days around Christmas then head to the beach for a couple of weeks. Next year we are considering coming back to Disney for a couple of nights at the end of the beach vacation. I just noticed that those dates would fall during the Jan 9-13 marathon.

How busy is getting into and out of BLT around those dates? Are there many road closures or do the runs take place on different parts of Disney property? Would getting to the airport on Saturday for a morning flight be an issue?
It might be more difficult getting out of BLT. You might be directed to the road that goes behind the MK, but I think the tunnel under the water bridge has one lane open to traffic and it is directed by Disney security. I know there is one lane open by the GF to traffic with only one lane closed by runners. Now if you leave around 10AM on Saturday, the road should be reopened to traffic but you may be directed off World Drive where the new flyover it located (before the parking lot gates).

We were staying on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, we really didn't notice a massive difference traffic wise on the day of the marathon. The car parks were all full, surface parking wasn't. I just assumed that cause it was the weekend there were more people visiting that lived locally too.

It might be more difficult getting out of BLT. You might be directed to the road that goes behind the MK, but I think the tunnel under the water bridge has one lane open to traffic and it is directed by Disney security. I know there is one lane open by the GF to traffic with only one lane closed by runners. Now if you leave arou
It might be more difficult getting out of BLT. You might be directed to the road that goes behind the MK, but I think the tunnel under the water bridge has one lane open to traffic and it is directed by Disney security. I know there is one lane open by the GF to traffic with only one lane closed by runners. Now if you leave around 10AM on Saturday, the road should be reopened to traffic but you may be directed off World Drive where the new flyover it located (before the parking lot gates).

nd 10AM on Saturday, the road should be reopened to traffic but you may be directed off World Drive where the new flyover it located (before the parking lot gates).

I would guess that everything will be open by 9 on Saturday. It is half marathon day, and all the runners have started by 7. World drive is done by mile 5, so at even a 20 minute mile (very slow for that distance of a run), they are all out of the way by 8:40. Just a guess, though, and it is always better to plan on the safe side.

My bus ride back from the MK took so long I ended up missing the Magical Express, and that was with me planning enough time to eat a full sit down lunch.

I completed the Dopey Challenge this year.
Thursday and Friday's races are run in and around Epcot, and are done early, so you will not be affected

Saturday is the half-marathon. The course starts and finishes in Epcot with a run through the Magic Kingdom
The race starts at 5:30 AM and I am guessing the last corral starts about 6:30 AM
Disney is pretty strict with the pacing of the 10K, half and full. If you can't keep a 16-minute-per-mile pace, you are at risk of getting swept and not completing the race
I am guessing by 9:00 AM the roads leading to Magic Kingdom will have re-opened

The full is Sunday and goes through all four parks. Again the start and finish is at Epcot.
The first eight miles are the same as the half, until you make the turn for Animal Kingdom
As with the half, the pacing requirements are the same, and I would expect the roads around the Magic Kingdom to have re-opened by 9:00 AM

Below is a link to all four courses

http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/disney-world-marathons.htm

If anyone questions the pacing requirements, Google "Disney Balloon Ladies"

One more thing -- there is no off-peak anymore at WDW. The parks were packed all week.

We drove out of OKW on marathon weekend, headed to Epcot. It was very crowded going towards Epcot, but also towards World Drive for the Magic Kingdom, never saw it backed up like that before. This was appx 10:15am. We will not go on marathon weekends again.

Thank you all for the replies. Many are mentioning roads leading TO MK. What about roads leading out of MK? We may need to book a 10:00 am flight which would mean a 7:00 am departure from BLT. Seems like that would be peak race time.

Thank you all for the replies. Many are mentioning roads leading TO MK. What about roads leading out of MK? We may need to book a 10:00 am flight which would mean a 7:00 am departure from BLT. Seems like that would be peak race time.

My best guess is that you would be ok leaving that early. You would be directly on line with some runners, but not much park traffic. If you wanted to be really safe, you could see if it is possible to park at the Wilderness Lodge, then boat ride over there and leave out that back road. There is no running that goes along that road.

There are two ways out of BLT, but one goes back stage and the other is part of the race (what I was mentioning under the water bridge). One lane under the water bridge is open for vehicles and they are directed when they can go since you have two way traffic and only one lane. The road that goes backstage goes around the back of the MK and a lot of offices and connects to the road that goes in front of the GF which is also cut down to one lane. That road will also take you to SR535 via Reams Road. But you need to know your way around there to find your way out. Go to Google Maps and put in Lake Buena Vista, FL and you can see that road. 7AM would be prime running time since it is only one and a half hours from the start time for the elite runners at 5:30AM. You wouldn't be on World Drive at all. You should be able to get to Vista Blvd (that goes past Fort Wilderness if you leave BLT and turn left out of the resort. But it will be slow going with all the runners in that area. You'd probably need to leave earlier than 7AM to make your 10AM flight. Especially if you are driving a rental car. If you are taking DME, they may have to leave at 6AM instead of 7AM.

Boat traffic to the Contemporary from Wilderness Lodge may be limited at 6AM and 7AM. Plus you'd be taking luggage with you.

My son ran the Dopey and he was finished with the half in 2:13, so 7:46AM. He was in Corral A. So he was entering the MK about 6:20AM. On the Full he was also in Corral A and was entering the MK about 6:20AM. For both races there were a whole bunch of runners coming after him. So 7AM is going to be prime running time past the Contemporary. Especially for the 16 min/mi "runners". They may not even leave Epcot until 6AM or later. Mile 4 is about the TTC and Mile 5 is just at the bus lanes at MK.

Last edited:
There are two ways out of BLT, but one goes back stage and the other is part of the race (what I was mentioning under the water bridge). One lane under the water bridge is open for vehicles and they are directed when they can go since you have two way traffic and only one lane. The road that goes backstage goes around the back of the MK and a lot of offices and connects to the road that goes in front of the GF which is also cut down to one lane. That road will also take you to SR535 via Reams Road. But you need to know your way around there to find your way out. Go to Google Maps and put in Lake Buena Vista, FL and you can see that road. 7AM would be prime running time since it is only one and a half hours from the start time for the elite runners at 5:30AM. You wouldn't be on World Drive at all. You should be able to get to Vista Blvd (that goes past Fort Wilderness if you leave BLT and turn left out of the resort. But it will be slow going with all the runners in that area. You'd probably need to leave earlier than 7AM to make your 10AM flight. Especially if you are driving a rental car. If you are taking DME, they may have to leave at 6AM instead of 7AM.

Boat traffic to the Contemporary from Wilderness Lodge may be limited at 6AM and 7AM. Plus you'd be taking luggage with you.

My son ran the Dopey and he was finished with the half in 2:13, so 7:46AM. He was in Corral A. So he was entering the MK about 6:20AM. On the Full he was also in Corral A and was entering the MK about 6:20AM. For both races there were a whole bunch of runners coming after him. So 7AM is going to be prime running time past the Contemporary. Especially for the 16 min/mi "runners". They may not even leave Epcot until 6AM or later. Mile 4 is about the TTC and Mile 5 is just at the bus lanes at MK.

I agree - just plan to leave by 6, or even 5:30. You could stop almost anywhere else in or out of Disney World and grab breakfast if you want and end up in better shape than trying to sneak out of BLT at 7.

We were at GF this year during the races and it was a pain on Marathon morning trying to get to another park. I can’t speak to BLT on that day specifically and I would hope that they would allow for DME buses but I would just plan around it and save myself the worry. If it were me I would just book a afternoon flight.

We were at GF this year during the races and it was a pain on Marathon morning trying to get to another park. I can’t speak to BLT on that day specifically and I would hope that they would allow for DME buses but I would just plan around it and save myself the worry. If it were me I would just book a afternoon flight.

I thought they would have given some sort of preferential traffic treatment to the hotel to park buses as well, but was shocked by how miserable both the trip to and from the parks were. Its like one wing of the parks doesn't communicate well with another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter