Marathon Aggravation

Disney Doll

DIS Security Matron
We’re here spectating marathoners. For the last several years we’ve walked to Osceola Parkway to cheer because that’s kind of a long desolate stretch.

This year we were met by a police officer who told us we couldn’t be there. We’re thinking it’s bevause of all the construction in the area and their concerns for safety.

Oh no....it’s because we didn’t purchase the Chear Squad. Apparently now Disney expects you to pay extra to stand on a state road to cheer for people who are running in their marathon, which they also paid for, that are staying at their hotels which they’ve also paid for.

And this is AFTER spectating the half marathon yesterday which ends at Epcot but you can’t get into
Epcot to cheer them there because it’s still closed at the time the runners are going through.

The amount of money they’re starting to take for the shrinking services they’re giving us getting tiresome.

And the worst part is making the police Officer do their dirty work.

I went to try and find out how much it cost to join the cheer squad and instead found that you can pay $80 to run the 5K at Castaway Cay. You have to have run the marathon and of course booked the correct cruise.

Do they charge to run the 5k on Castaway Cay all the time now or only when the sailing is tied to the marathon?

As for the cheer squad it is from $65 to $180 per person depending on amenities and number of races. My father in law cheered me on for free when I ran the half marathon way back in 2001.

Run Disney has become a big source of revenue for the Disney corporation!

That Castaway Cay 5k is part of a land and sea special. The $80 pretty much covers the medal you get for completing it. As far as I know, the Castaway 5k is still free and you get a rubber medal for finishing it.

WOW that is crazy! I thought people paid for Cheer Squad just to get right infront of the castle to get the great pics of their family/friends. Well in addition to some of the goodies and possibly the food at the end (if they upgrade their ticket). I can't believe they are having other areas as the "paid" area. On another note, thanks for cheering! I have done a lot of Disney races (but not this weekend) and it is really neat to see everyone who is willing to get up in the middle of the night to cheer for random strangers.

Typical Disney these days from what I’ve seen-pay extra for everything. By the way, I cheered for free during the marathon outside the Beach Club. Wonder when they’ll figure out a way to charge for that.

I have done the chear squad for many years, it is especially nice when it is cold, as you get a nice area at the finish with hot chocolate and coffee. Each year there have been exclusive viewing areas you just need to check to see which those are, lots of areas are still open for regular spectators. My husband only did the half this year due to injuries, and I don’t wake up for those, so no spectating or chear squad for me.

I have done the chear squad for many years, it is especially nice when it is cold, as you get a nice area at the finish with hot chocolate and coffee. Each year there have been exclusive viewing areas you just need to check to see which those are, lots of areas are still open for regular spectators. My husband only did the half this year due to injuries, and I don’t wake up for those, so no spectating or chear squad for me.
We go to Osceola Parkway because it is a long desolate stretch for the runners. It’s also a public highway so I think Disney is pushing it a bit to make it a “special” location that you have to pay for. After we were turned away I checked the Chear Squad info and nowhere did it mention that you wouldn’t be allowed near Osceola Parkway without joining. And frankly, never did I think that Disney would think they could restrict access to a public road.

I think they realized that more and more people were getting themselves out there and saw an opportunity to make yet more $$$&.

We go to Osceola Parkway because it is a long desolate stretch for the runners. It’s also a public highway so I think Disney is pushing it a bit to make it a “special” location that you have to pay for. After we were turned away I checked the Chear Squad info and nowhere did it mention that you wouldn’t be allowed near Osceola Parkway without joining. And frankly, never did I think that Disney would think they could restrict access to a public road.

I think they realized that more and more people were getting themselves out there and saw an opportunity to make yet more $$$&.
It could be that the police officer was misinterpreting Disney's rules. How can they charge anyone for standing on property that isn't their own?

I think that police officer was mistaken. There are two ChEAR squad locations and neither is on that parkway. You are also correct that you are allowed to stand on the side of a public road. RunDisney loves to try and milk cash out of everyone and everything that other races provide for free but I don't think this one is on them.

Well, I’m going by what the police officer said. I don’t argue with anyone with a gun ;)

I did look up the ChEar thing and it gives 2 specific viewing areas and some nebulous statement about other viewing locations.

I think that Osceola Pkwy. between I-4 and Sherberth Rd./Animal Kingdom Lodge is not public.

At one time it was envisioned that Osceola would be a straight shot from I-4 west to Irlo Bronson Hwy (192). Then AKL was built blocking the final completion of Osceola to the west. Later, Western Way (also private) was constructed which acts as a connector to the west to a proposed Disney development in the Hartzog Rd. and Flamingo Crossings area a little north of 192. North-south road Western Beltway (Toll 429; Daniel Webster) ties it all together out there with interchanges at Florida's Turnpike to the north and at 192 and also I-4 to the south.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter