Managing different styles

Keikisholiday

Earning My Ears
We are staying on site for 5 nights in May and it will be our 2 year old's first trip to Disney. I'm a morning person and want to rope drop (pretty much every day if I could). Our LO is up early every day anyway, so I don't think it would be a problem for him. My DH is not a morning person though and would prefer to take it easy and treat it like a relaxing vacation. We've compromised to do 2 rope drops and 2 lazy mornings. Just curious how others manage different styles.

Honestly, I'd just go without him and pick a meeting point or first fastpass to meet. Other than that you're going bonkers in the room, or just trying to kill time at the resort which is not fun for the person who is awake with the kid.

I also vote for splitting up, at least briefly. My wife and younger daughter are sometimes later risers, while me and my older daughter are early risers. My older daughter and I will leave the room and go do something, even if it's just walking around enjoying the scenery. We usually have an idea of when we'll all meet up.

In our case, it's usually only the difference of an hour or so, but even that short time helps us avoid feeling like we're "waiting around" for everyone else, and they can take the extra time to get up and don't feel like they are being rushed. It works out.

I would agree with the others that you should consider splitting up. There will be no sleeping in or relaxing in a hotel room if a 2-year old is up and bouncing off the walls. Consider going to the parks with your toddler and your DH can meet up with you there or taking your 2-year old for a stroll around your resort or some other activity nearby and then heading out to the parks together.

It may depend a bit on what his idea of "relaxing morning" is. If he really just wants to sleep in, then getting DS out of there as quickly and quietly as possible to head to a park is probably best, so that DH can actually sleep. But if he was picturing all 3 of you lounging around the resort, getting a nice breakfast, having some pool time, etc, and heading to the parks later, then I think it's worth giving him a day or two like that.

It may depend a bit on what his idea of "relaxing morning" is. If he really just wants to sleep in, then getting DS out of there as quickly and quietly as possible to head to a park is probably best, so that DH can actually sleep. But if he was picturing all 3 of you lounging around the resort, getting a nice breakfast, having some pool time, etc, and heading to the parks later, then I think it's worth giving him a day or two like that.
Agree. How late does he plan to sleep? We have one kid is who is an early riser and one who isn’t (it keeps things interesting!) We just sort of try to compromise and make everyone go with the flow.

Often my H will take DS on a walk and to get breakfast first. They can eat at the food court, then bring something back for myself and DD. This way the girls get a little extra time to get up and ready, while also giving her brother something to do. But a relaxing pool morning is nice, so if your H wants that I would try to compromise a bit.

This sounds like my husband and me! Our styles could not be more different. We have two boys, ages 2 and 4. I want to rope drop and pack in everything; my husband is just as happy at the pool. He wants to relax. I don't want to miss anything. I love trips with my sister for this reason-- her park style is the same as mine. Still, I like for my husband to experience the magic on his own terms. So, we try to do a mix of rope drop and lazier days. I always work in some pool time. I have a resort day built into our upcoming trip where we will only go into MK in the evening for a few FP then fireworks. As others have said, the kids make it hard. If they aren't sleeping, no one is. Last year they were 3 and 1 and managing them myself plus the double stroller, diaper bag, loading onto a bus, etc. was too much. I wouldn't have felt comfortable getting them all the way into the park myself. Now at 2 and 4 I might be able to do that. When I only had 1 child, I did take him to a park myself and I surprised myself with how much fun we had. I thought I would feel lonely but I didn't.

I am NOT a morning person in the least bit. I am already big time dreading dragging my body out of bed so early at Disney every.single.day. However, I also have 4 kids who are up and bouncing by 5-5:30am. So I'm embracing rope drop every single park day. Because it's easier for me to be grumpy than it is to make a kid be grumpy in a hotel room. I'm also really not about pissing off my husband and making him take the 4 kids out of the room solo just so I can have peace. He can handle them just fine, but we're expecting some extra kid bouncing while at Disney. ;)

My husband would like to sleep in more on vacation. I'm up by 7 vacation or not... So are the kids, for the most part. Rather than hit the parks without him (though we do sometimes), I take the kids to the pool after breakfast. We even did this in December one year and we weren't the only ones in the pool!

I would echo the comments above. I'd get up and take your little one out for bit on your own in the morning, then meet up once your DH is up and ready to go. You could even get up and go to the playground (if there is one at your hotel). He could always have a bit of one on one time with your little one later in the day while you have some downtime on your own too. I find I enjoy a bit of time on my own just to get a coffee and wander around the resort. I find when we have a balance of time together and time each of us with our DS and the DH and I each having a bit of downtime on our own, we have the best time on vacation.

DH wants to relax, DD only wants to swim, DS and me can do rope drop to close in the parks. Everyone is early risers but me. I am an exception at Disney. I swear I am a different person at Disney. We go to the parks at rope drop, heard back to the resort around lunch for a break (swim, nap, just relax), then head back to the parks around dinner time. DH still hates this and wants more time to relax. He is already starting to have issues with my plan and trying to take it over. It might be that we just split up for some of the time if he want more time to relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter