Make Up for Teeen Daughter

bam218

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone can recommend make up for my now 13 year old dd who is just starting to want this... I'm thinking of putting together a small sample kit for Christmas. Now Dh and I (and even her) want color that is very light but of course won't cause her skin to break out. I personally don't wear much makeup at all so I'm really no help..

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!
Thank you!
Barbara

it will be trial and error as to the skin break out. I think they now have tinted moisturizers that aren't as heavy as "foundation" make up. Maybelline has a dream fresh BB 8 in 1 beauty balm skin perfector (whew!) that I use on occasion. I'm allergic to a lot of things. Most Cover Girl has an ingredient that I'm allergic to (unfortunately Aveeno uses this ingredient a lot too). start light and if breakout occur - read the fine print on all the products to see if there is an odd common denominator.

I don't think I would just put a kit together. I would take her somewhere for a makeup consultation. They will put makeup on her, see her skin type and give her the right product. I suggest MAC. I have very sensitive skin and their stuff is great. The only thing I don't care for from MAC is their mascara.

For someone her age and also a beginner, I would recommend either Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals, or Clinique. Both offer the most natural look and both are excellent for sensitive skin, won't clog pores, and are easy to apply. MAC is also great but their line gravitates more toward vibrant, flashy, dramatic looks...not quite so soft and natural (not that you can't achieve a natural look with MAC, it's just more pigmented in general).

I would book your daughter for a free makeup consultation at the Clinique counter in department stores where they will match her skin tone with a foundation. They can also help her select a natural blush (if she wants one), powder, etc. To present it as a gift to her, you can purchase a few makeup brushes in advance like a foundation brush, blush brush, powder brush, and eyeshadow brush. You can probably even buy her a light neutral eyeshadow duo that you think would compliment her eye color (and that you approve of!). If you're interested in her skincare routine as well, they have a 3-step program that is wonderful. The online tool asks a few questions about dry/oily skin and assigns a number (1-4) of her skin type and shows you which products are for her skin type. You could buy those in advance also.

I took my daughter at 14 with oily skin to Bare Minerals. They gave her a lesson and we bought a starter kit for I think $49.00 and got lots of other free samples. It was a fun mother-daughter outing.

I took my daughter at 14 with oily skin to Bare Minerals. They gave her a lesson and we bought a starter kit for I think $49.00 and got lots of other free samples. It was a fun mother-daughter outing.

Bare Minerals was horrible for my skin. I do know quite a few people who love them, but again why I think it is important to sample something before buying it all and see how she does.

I do agree with the PP about MAC being flashy, but most of the people there are good a pulling out colors that are neutral. I am plain jane, but the reason I love MAC is really b/c I don't break out.

Bare Minerals was horrible for my skin. I do know quite a few people who love them, but again why I think it is important to sample something before buying it all and see how she does. I do agree with the PP about MAC being flashy, but most of the people there are good a pulling out colors that are neutral. I am plain jane, but the reason I love MAC is really b/c I don't break out.

Bare Minerals kept bothering my skin too. I am allergic to lavender so I did a little research and found out it contains lavender! Other then that I liked it.

A friend of mine is a Mary Kay Rep and she did a make up "party" for my DD and some of her friends when they were 13, she showed them how to do skin care and tastefully apply make up. They really enjoyed it and my daughter is still using some of the products 6 years later. She really likes Sephora now though, but still likes the MK mineral powder best.

Good to know about the lavender.

My dd has very sensitive skin, everything she tried would really cause redness and irritation - so I took her to Bare Minerals, and everything worked very well for her, but I know now she has switched to a BB cream - and I also know she likes to use Lush Products to cleanse her face, and a hair masque, again for the quality of the products - it works for her, but she has to be very careful

I would say Bare Minerals too. I started using about 10 years ago and my DD15 has used since she started wearing makeup as well. In any case, I would take her to the makeup counter for a professional to show how to apply and recommend products. I would avoid the chemical stuff for sure. If she will wear makeup, she needs skincare too. Philosophy Purity cleanser and Hope in a Jar moisturizer works well for young sensitive skin.

I also did the Bare Minerals makeover and starter kit when my daughter was about that age.

Then I bought her the cheap flashy sets of lots of makeup (not great for sensitive skin) that everyone sells around Christmas. I encouraged her play with dramatic looks at home - but wear the light age appropriate Bare Minerals out. She spent some time on YouTube figuring out how to get looks, and can now do a wide variety of looks (and is a few years older).

Kids that age like to experiment, so personally, I'd avoid the MAC counter - too expensive. Keep your base or powder (the reason I like Bare Minerals as a foundation for a younger teen is that it doesn't look 'makeupy' - in fact, when we first started we started with JUST mascara. Then mascara and lip tint. We didn't add a foundation for at least a year) - high quality, it touches a lot of skin - but be prepared to buy lots of drugstore eye shadow, lipstick and gloss - there are some decent drugstore brands - like Neutrogena - so she can find her look)

This is my first post on the DISboards but I couldn't help but weigh in. :-)

I personally am not a fan of BareMinerals. I wore it for awhile but it made my skin really dry and I wound up with hard buildup of the product basically under my skin. Granted it was probably at least partially my fault for not washing my face well enough at night, but as young as your DD is will she have the same problem (if not then kudos to her!)? The dryness really bothered my sensitive skin though and I stopped wearing it. I know some people have great luck with it and love it though!

My suggestion would be a BB cream/tinted moisturizer as well. I actually love the one EyesLipsFace (or e.l.f.) makes, and it's $3 at target! You can find pricier ones as well though that are made for more sensitive skin. I have fairly sensitive skin though and have never had any issues with the e.l.f. tinted moisturizer.

Check out NYX (also at target, or ulta) for lip glosses (I love the butter glosses) and eye shadows for some good quality but not super expensive stuff. Ulta does BOGO 50% on their stuff a lot. Coastal Scents (which you can find by googling the name or on Amazon) make amazing eyeshadow palettes that are great products for the price also.

I would also make sure to emphasize the importance of skin care as well. :) Any of the high end drugstore counters can help, or the sales associates at Ulta & Sephora will be able to as well. You can also look up things like "best drugstore skincare" on YouTube and get a lot of advice on lower price point but still good products to try out!

For someone her age and also a beginner, I would recommend either Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals, or Clinique. Both offer the most natural look and both are excellent for sensitive skin, won't clog pores, and are easy to apply. MAC is also great but their line gravitates more toward vibrant, flashy, dramatic looks...not quite so soft and natural (not that you can't achieve a natural look with MAC, it's just more pigmented in general).

I would book your daughter for a free makeup consultation at the Clinique counter in department stores where they will match her skin tone with a foundation. They can also help her select a natural blush (if she wants one), powder, etc. To present it as a gift to her, you can purchase a few makeup brushes in advance like a foundation brush, blush brush, powder brush, and eyeshadow brush. You can probably even buy her a light neutral eyeshadow duo that you think would compliment her eye color (and that you approve of!). If you're interested in her skincare routine as well, they have a 3-step program that is wonderful. The online tool asks a few questions about dry/oily skin and assigns a number (1-4) of her skin type and shows you which products are for her skin type. You could buy those in advance also.

This!
I would take her in for a make up consultation so they can match her and teach her a few things (YouTube and Pinterest tutorials will also be helpful). When I was 14, my mom treated me to perfume and makeup at the France pavilion in EPCOT. They put it on my face, and I loved it! I still use some of the techniques I remember them doing.

Keep it simple and fun! :thumbsup2
If she ends up liking the make up, another great idea is signing her up on ipsy. It's $10 a month, and you fill out a survey for your make up level, skin type, preferred product types, etc. They send you sample size (sometimes full size if it's mascara) and you get to play around and see what you like!

I hope this helps and hope your daughter loves it. :goodvibes

I really enjoy Sephora. At my Sephora, their consultants are always so helpful. They also have a wide variety, from the higher end stuff to the Sephora brand (which is actually what I prefer for most things).

My eyes used to react poorly to drugstore makeup when I was younger, so my eye doctor said to try Almay. He said all of their stuff is hypoallergenic so my eyes wouldn't get red and itchy. This helped greatly for me. I highly recommend Almay, I always used it as a teen.

We just took DD a few days ago to get her first makeup lesson and supplies. We went to the Clinque counter at Macy's.

They helped her pick products that were appropriate for her skin type and color and it was also very natural looking and age appropriate. Then they sat her down and showed her how to apply all of the different things.

We bought a bunch of items. It wasn't cheap, but worth it because we were worried about breakouts.

It was an awesome experience.

Our Clinique experience for my DD's 13 bday was awesome also. Our consultant followed up with a phone call to be sure we weren't having any trouble with my dd's very sensitive skin. She will be getting some of the items that we didn't buy then for Christmas.

For a young teen, I'd avoid foundation in favor of a tinted moisturizer/BB. Foundation is gonna clog pores and lead to more break-outs!
Additionally, spring for a Clarisonic facial cleaning appliance (maybe for Christmas!) It really deep cleans the pores--it's amazing how much it can clean out after you have already washed your face! :thumbsup2

I started my 15 year old dd on Bare Minerals for her 1st make up and I also use it. I have very sensitive skin, and I am terrible at washing my face at night. I have had no trouble with build up and no drying so I think it is very individual. My 13 year old has started toying around with the eye shadows. I found that my older dd did not need moisturizer and did not start using any foundation until just recently to hide some breakouts. I also have Philosophy in my house for facial washes and moisturizers. I will say my dd did not like the moisturizer or cleansing products from Bare Minerals, but does love the make up. The cleansing/creams did dry her face. I recently bought her clear days ahead from Philosophy to use when she is breaking out. If overused it will definitely dry, but clears up the breakouts.
OH, last year Bare Minerals had a great Black Friday deal. 49 piece kit for $49. I split it up for gifts for my nieces, etc.... The great thing is you can pre-order their Black Friday deal and then pick it up, so no having to show up at midnight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter