Make sure you're getting credit for DCP

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
This might seem obvious, but just a fair warning to students wanting to do the DCP - make sure that you're actually going to get credit for it. I was just discussing this program with one of my students (I teach at a University) who wanted to do it. My own Department doesn't accept the DCP as a legitimate internship/summer program as students aren't doing anything that is directly related to the field and we see the experience, as well, useless. If a student still wants to do it, we don't stop them, we just inform them that no credit will be awarded and it could delay their graduation. Some kids do it anyway, and some balk. Not all colleges or departments feel this way, of course, otherwise the DCP would cease to exist.

But if you're going to put in the time to be a slave to Mickey, slinging burgers when you'd rather be interning in a news room, you should at least get some college credit for the sacrifice.

DD's college did not give credit. There was zero option for credit. So she went right after graduation.

Not sure if still offered but there were several classes you could try to get in, she did one. It was not the one she had wanted but it was a program that businesses paid thousands for their employees to attend so she was happy to do it for free.

This is actually mentioned on the application to the DCP and DCP interview partners will clarify this during the Phone Interview stage if an applicant asks for it.

I would argue that most people I knew on both of my programs, including myself, were not doing it with the intention of college credit or even getting relevant field experience-- most of us do it for the experience of living/working at Walt Disney World.

When I would interview potential new hires, I would look for anything on their resume that helped them stand out.

Although, it may not be valuable for credit, any customer service experience is always of value if you are applying for a position that interacts with the public….

Something like a Disney internship, would if nothing else, give me something to ask them about to get to know them…

Experience is like knowledge it is always of value.

When I would interview potential new hires, I would look for anything on their resume that helped them stand out.

Although, it may not be valuable for credit, any customer service experience is always of value if you are applying for a position that interacts with the public….

Something like a Disney internship, would if nothing else, give me something to ask them about to get to know them…

Experience is like knowledge it is always of value.
Very true. Although the DCP and Disney Internship program are two separate programs. DCP is slave labour. The Internship program is a legit thing where students are actually gaining major-relevant experience. So that one is quite valuable given Disney's clout. Of course, it's also ten times more competitive to get into the internship program.

Very true. Although the DCP and Disney Internship program are two separate programs. DCP is slave labour. The Internship program is a legit thing where students are actually gaining major-relevant experience. So that one is quite valuable given Disney's clout. Of course, it's also ten times more competitive to get into the internship program.
All entry level customer service are, as you call it “slave labor”.

You are gaining experience, and that has value ….

Respectfully, I disagree with some of your statements. I learned more about myself and life and how to deal with others (both in living and working situations) in one DCP than in my 4 years of college and 2 years of grad school. Not saying that college wasn’t important, but the DCP in combination with my education was incredibly valuable- even if you consider it slave labor. I did not.

Respectfully, I disagree with some of your statements. I learned more about myself and life and how to deal with others (both in living and working situations) in one DCP than in my 4 years of college and 2 years of grad school. Not saying that college wasn’t important, but the DCP in combination with my education was incredibly valuable- even if you consider it slave labor. I did not.
Very well said!!

I was mainly speaking from my position as a regular CM when I worked at WDW. Most of the DCP folks at the TTC/TMK got the worst shifts in the some of the most undesirable locations. Many of them complained about the hours or conditions. Perhaps it was just the ones me and my coworkers encountered but yes I consider it slave labour (as do many other full time CM's). That said, I'm glad you had a positive experience.

I suppose that could be said about any crap job.
Entry level….
We all have to start somewhere….

That is at the bottom.

Contrary to popular belief, most companies do not hire people with no experience to the c suite

Last edited:
I have met many people in all kind of professions, including a doctor, who did the DCP. They all said out of everything on their resume, Disney is the job they are consistently asked about, even years later! Not everyone needs the college credit, but all potential DCP students should make sure that they don't lose scholarship or have issues with sequencing of classes, if they take off time to do the DCP.

Usually interning at a news room pays zero, lots of internships are unpaid, that is truly slave labor, Disney does pay and now twice the minimum wage of the state I live in!

Last edited:
Imagine calling Disney slave labor while trying to funnel people into unpaid dying situations like a news room 😂

Usually interning at a news room pays zero, lots of internships are unpaid, that is truly slave labor,
While that is true that news internships usually don't pay, do you know what most of my journalism students have that also had internships? JOBS.

Many, if not most internships in communication/media don't pay well if at all. The students who take them are gaining experience and networking skills. I'm glad that some have found the experience with DCP to be fulfilling. I was simply speaking from my experience and really haven't been impressed.

Last edited:
If a student still wants to do it, we don't stop them, we just inform them that no credit will be awarded and it could delay their graduation. Some kids do it anyway, and some balk. Not all colleges or departments feel this way, of course, otherwise the DCP would cease to exist.

But if you're going to put in the time to be a slave to Mickey, slinging burgers when you'd rather be interning in a news room, you should at least get some college credit for the sacrifice.

Our DD did DCP in a Disney job unrelated to her college major (for no credit) a few years ago and I'm glad she did.

Yes, of course working a semester at Disney delayed her graduation by a semester. It also delayed the education expense as well. She was no slave to Mickey as she got her hourly wage and lived with 5 other girls in a 3 BR/2 Bath apartment.

Sure she could have interned in a role suited to her major but she would not have had the fun, stress, relationships, and experience she got through the DCP. It wasn't all sunshine and roses for sure which was a good lesson about us working stiffs who haven't won life's lottery.

And she still got a nice job in her major after graduation and the DCP gave her something in her interviews to talk about and to differentiate herself with (the good/bad/ugly). The time she spent on her days/hours off were priceless to her. She worked one daytime shift and the rest of the days that week were late evening but she would prowl the parks in the daytime and got to know every inch and CM to talk to.

You're only young once. The alternative is to work for decades and then work for Disney as a retiree in old age.

Bama Ed

While that is true that news internships usually don't pay, do you know what most of my journalism students have that also had internships? JOBS.
I understand the point you are trying to get across- do internships that relate to the field that you think you want to work in. Disney is a major media corporation, you can actually move around a lot in the company, they also have the Disney Aspire program that pays tuition, so there are lots of pathways through Disney. I know several kids who stayed on after DCP and had their undergrad paid by Disney, or their Master's Degree paid by Disney.

I think the bigger problem is with universities that don't require at least one internship that relates to a major. I'm amazed at how many kids walk out with no experience.

I will say a journalism major could write some great stories after being employed there!

I think the bigger problem is with universities that don't require at least one internship that relates to a major. I'm amazed at how many kids walk out with no experience.
I agree with this completely. Internships SHOULD be compulsory (and in some schools/programs, they are) for the many benefits that they offer.

My oldest DD had an internship with a Chicago radio station (awhile ago) it was unpaid. She was getting up at the crack of dawn, going into the city, setting up an event, and often not getting home until very late. Talk about slave labor! The experience helped her get her foot in the door, but not at all in her degree field (media). She's happy at her job, doing great. Youngest DD graduated and applied for the DCP. This was over 7 years ago, when they placed kids with their strengths. She worked all through college and they placed her at AOA gift ship. Loved it. Then when program ended, she applied for a fulltime gig as photopass. Got that loved it. To this day, she gets asked about her time at WDW. It's a great conversation starter!

I was mainly speaking from my position as a regular CM when I worked at WDW. Most of the DCP folks at the TTC/TMK got the worst shifts in the some of the most undesirable locations. Many of them complained about the hours or conditions. Perhaps it was just the ones me and my coworkers encountered but yes I consider it slave labour (as do many other full time CM's). That said, I'm glad you had a positive experience.
$16 an hour = "Slave labor" :rotfl: only in today's society that someone would think that. Worst shifts and undesirable location, so who is supposed to work those shifts/areas then? Maybe they should have the DCP CM's split those jobs with the full time CMs, would that be better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter