• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

We will be taking a MAW trip to Disney in December. My wish child is 4 and has hypo plastic right heart. I also have an 8 yr old.

Where can I find trip reports? I'm curious as to how these go.

I'm really wanting to make sure that our wish child doesn't get kingly treatment while my older child gets to feel left out. He has spent half of his life living in the shadow of his brothers health problems. I really want to make sure this entire thing won't breed any more feelings of resentment.

We will be taking a MAW trip to Disney in December. My wish child is 4 and has hypo plastic right heart. I also have an 8 yr old.

Where can I find trip reports? I'm curious as to how these go.

I'm really wanting to make sure that our wish child doesn't get kingly treatment while my older child gets to feel left out. He has spent half of his life living in the shadow of his brothers health problems. I really want to make sure this entire thing won't breed any more feelings of resentment.

Hi! If you go to the first page of this thread, there is a list of trip reports that have been completed. Also, a google search of "Make A Wish Disney World Trips" brings up lots of stories of people who have gone before us :)

MAW does a really good job of making sure the entire family is granted this special experience. Everything from gifts for every child at GTKW and money for souvenirs, it really will be a trip for you all. All of us on here understand; my wish kid has siblings, too. After hearing what is going to happen on our trip, they are ALL excited!

That is one of the great things about MAW. They do incorporate the whole family in the experience. You are able to go and do all these things BECAUSE of the wish kid, but it's not just FOR the wish kid, it's for everyone. GKTW events and activities and perks are for everyone to enjoy. And front of the line access and the Wish lounges are for everyone to use.

I have 3 older and 1 younger than the wish kid, and the older ones, in their minds, are seeing something good come out of everything Jilly had to go through, so they are almost acting nicer to her because they know this would not be happening if it wasn't for Jilly. :) And Jilly loves it. :)

Thanks for the replies! This makes me feel better. Leave it to me to worry about a free trip to Disney...

I was actually born with a minor heart problem and my parents did a really lousy job of not showing favortism towards me. I recognized it pretty early and my brother and I have never been close because of it.

When we found out about our son's problem we made it a priority to always treat them fairly whenever possible. When our heart child got a new Buzz Lightyear after surgery we got our oldest a new Xbox game. That kind of thing.

We just try so hard to not leave our oldest out of anything.

Does anyone have any advice on how much spending money to have saved up? I am not sure if MAW provides any or how much. I'd rather not count on that. I'm assuming I would really just need lunch and souvenir money. A thousand? I frankly have no clue.

Does anyone have any advice on how much spending money to have saved up? I am not sure if MAW provides any or how much. I'd rather not count on that. I'm assuming I would really just need lunch and souvenir money. A thousand? I frankly have no clue.
Maw will provide a prepaid visa for spending, the amount varies by chapter. Some chapters have a set amount per family, ive heard of $500-1000 per family, but there are also chapters that budget per person, $250 per person is the amount ive heard. You can eat all meals free at gktw, so its up to you how much you want to spend eating out (it is a bit of a hike though between the parks and gktw). some chapters will include an "extra" such as a character meal or bbb in addition to the visa card, though ours did not. When we went, we received enough for the 4 of us to eat once every day in the parks, including 2 character meals, bbb, gas money, and plenty of souveniers without spending any of our own money.

I've seen it be between $30 per person/per day to $45 per person/per day. So, a family of 4 for a 7 day vacation could get anywhere from $840-$1260. If you get any "wish enhancements" like a special character dinner or the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique, then the cost of that will be added to your expense check as well.

MAW does the best job they can to ensure that families don't have to spend money out of their own pockets. If you budget well and always eat at least 1 meal at GTKW, you will have PLENTY of money. As for souvenirs, you will get a ton from GTKW as well (every day gifts will be in your villa). Our currently to only get maybe 1-2 extra things per kid from WDW because we have to somehow get all of this home, lol!

Thank You for all the responses. My eight year old, non wish kid, has been asking for one of those $100 Lightsabers for about three years. We will be seeing the new Star Wars at WDW in the IMAX. I'd love to also surprise him with one of those too.

I just heard from Make-a-wish:

Just heard back from our Florida chapter. Samantha learned from our Disney contact that the Jedi Training Academy is going under refurbishment from October 4 through December 1 with no alternative options during that time. I’m so sorry for any inconvenience this might cause!

Any Aulani MAW trip reports on here or any tips?

1) Kind of a far AND EXPENSIVE trip for most MAW chapters.
2) Plus, many MAW kids cannot endure such a long plane ride.
3) But, if you have a REALLY WEALTHY chapter, they might be able to afford it.

Last edited:
Any Aulani MAW trip reports on here or any tips?

I'm sure I've seen a couple of people mention Aulani as a wish trip, but haven't been able to dig them up tonight. In the meantime, try Google -- I found a few non-DISboards trip reports.

Cost, expense...etc. has no bearing at all on a child's wish. As long as the child is medically eligible and the wish meets their guidelines MAW WILL make it happen. They will make sure it is the wish child's one true wish, and not just the parents desire. If the child REALLY wants to go to Hawaii and go to Aulani, they will go.

This is simply not true. We live on the west coast and a flight to Hawaii is shorter and often cheaper than a flight to Florida. I have heard many MAW stories about trips to Hawaii (though not necessarily to Aulani). I have also heard of MAW sending kids to Europe and Australia for wishes. San Francisco just did a wish for 'Batkid' that cost a whole lot more than a trip to Aulani. Cost and distance do not seem to be deal breakers for a wish.

Absolutely incorrect. If the childs wish is to go to hawaii and the doctors approve it, maw will make it happen no matter the cost.

Quick update since it's been awhile (again, oops!). We have gotten definite dates, flights, and confirmation that MAW will cover the cost of our Princess meal at Akershus as well as tickets to MVMCP!! :dancer:

Katyana is starting to get really excited about her wish. I think she's mostly looking forward to the rides. We don't have any amusement parks near us that have wheelchair accessible rides. We visited six flags when she was 4 or 5 and I was able to support her next to me. She's much bigger now and her body is badly contorted. I wouldn't be able to hold her upright on a ride anymore. She gets so excited when we watch videos of the rides, I can't wait to see her reaction on her first roller coaster!

A couple weeks ago, Tyana got a card in the mail from one of her wish granters-wishing her a great school year at a new school and just to say hi. I thought that was so sweet of her. Totally unexpected. We called her to thank her and I mentioned it was only the 2nd time in her life that she's received mail addressed to her and wouldn't you know it she sent her a package last week of two Disney sing along dvd's and a very sweet note! Made Tyana's day! :sunny:

I've been busy gathering little things to add to the kids' Tinkerbell gifts. I'm just about done...really I am! I'm afraid I'm just about done with everything I can think to do in preparation of this trip. I'm all outta ideas/projects/things to research lol! :confused3

Well there's always scrapbooking and trying my hand at making some matchy t-shirts.....

Last edited:
OUR COUNTDOWN WALL...POSTED PICTURE LATE, NOW WE'RE DOWN TO 91 DAYS!!! WOOHOO FOR DOUBLE DIGITS! Each balloon has a disney activity

20150810_100550 (1).jpg

Welcome letters, finished autograph book (added gemstones), Tinkerbell gifts for the 4 yo, Mickey bags for kids to pack snacks and park essentials20150829_125759-1.jpg 20150829_131543.jpg 20150901_062205-1.jpg 20150901_063011.jpg

Quick update since it's been awhile (again, oops!). We have gotten definite dates, flights, and confirmation that MAW will cover the cost of our Princess meal at Akershus as well as tickets to MVMCP!! :dancer:

Katyana is starting to get really excited about her wish. I think she's mostly looking forward to the rides. We don't have any amusement parks near us that have wheelchair accessible rides. We visited six flags when she was 4 or 5 and I was able to support her next to me. She's much bigger now and her body is badly contorted. I wouldn't be able to hold her upright on a ride anymore. She gets so excited when we watch videos of the rides, I can't wait to see her reaction on her first roller coaster!

A couple weeks ago, Tyana got a card in the mail from one of her wish granters-wishing her a great school year at a new school and just to say hi. I thought that was so sweet of her. Totally unexpected. We called her to thank her and I mentioned it was only the 2nd time in her life that she's received mail addressed to her and wouldn't you know it she sent her a package last week of two Disney sing along dvd's and a very sweet note! Made Tyana's day! :sunny:

I've been busy gathering little things to add to the kids' Tinkerbell gifts. I'm just about done...really I am! I'm afraid I'm just about done with everything I can think to do in preparation of this trip. I'm all outta ideas/projects/things to research lol! :confused3

Well there's always scrapbooking and trying my hand at making some matchy t-shirts.....

You are an all star, my friend!!!! I'm so excited that MAW covered both experiences for you. I bet you were thrilled when you found out!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter