Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a few days - this thread is really starting to move! Nothing new here, which is why I've been quiet. We've got our dates, all the ADRs and such that I can think of are made, so I think we're in a holding pattern until next month. Our wish grantor said that she usually creates a fun countdown thing for the kids for the last month, so we'll be hearing from her then. About the only thing for me to do is read on here and drool over pictures in the dining thread.... :cool1:

Ja's birthday is in a couple of weeks, and she's asked to have a Muppet birthday. I can't believe how big my girls are getting. We've been bad parents and have been torturing C by telling her that she's such a cute 5 year old that we decided that we would just keep her 5 forever.... My little geek keeps freaking out because she has to be 6 to go to Grade 1. :lmao:

WE HAVE DATES!!! Well…kinda. Our MaW person emailed today and said it will be at the end of April! So we said the 21st and I'm pretty sure that's when it will be!!!

I hope we'll get a chance to say hello on the 27th!!! Hurray hurray hurray for dates! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

We are new to this site, but I love it!!! We are getting so much great information for Alexa's upcoming trip at the end of April 23-29. We are looking at getting shirts made for all 6 of us, we figured 4 designs, then we can wash and re wear them. What are some great shirt ideas you all have come up with for your trips? Alexa is our wish child and she is 10, we also have a 12 yr old daughter and a 8 & 6 yr old sons. pirate:
I wish I could figure out how to start a thread, but have not had luck there yet. lol I am not the greatest on the computer. lol :rotfl2:
You are all the best!!
Taimie

We'll be there from April 27 - May 4! Hi!

Well, we finally made the decision today to pull Ava out of school. She will be home bound for the time being. Hopefully we can get her illness under control where she can go back next year.

Kristy

:hug: That must have been a very hard decision. I've found that it can be easier to introduce gifted/more challenging ideas at home, though, so hopefully this could be a blessing in disguise.

Maddie officially made her wish last night! She gave her "princess crowns" to her Wish Granters and they wore them the whole time. She also wore her Tinkerbell costume "so they'll know that I'm a fairy wish kid." It went really well! Her official wish was to "go to Disney World and be in a parade on Main Street and ride in a car or float." They told us that Disney can definitely happen, but that we would need to contact Disney World ourselves to see about the parade. I can't imagine calling Disney and saying "Hi! My 5 y/o daughter has a wish to be in a parade on Main Street. Can you make that happen?" Who would I even call?!? Her second wish was for a dollhouse "so I don't have to share it with anyone at school." She was crazy excited the whole time, running through the living room with uncontrolled energy. It was pretty great. Due to her heat intolerance and metabolic issues, we are hoping to go somewhere between the end of April and end of May.

Tonight, I will try to link my PTR and put some pictures up on it. Thanks for following our journey!

Aw, Maddie sounds like quite the princess princess:

Hi,

Just wanted to post since we just arrived home on Saturday from our stay at GKTW. I'll share a few things that I wish I would have known before going.

1. The Mickey greet on Thursday morning was spectacular. It was as though we had him completely to ourselves and our own private photo shoot. The volunteers do a wonderful job of helping you pose for pics with Mickey. He stooped on the floor and played with my daughter that is unable to walk. And GKTW takes pics and gives the CD to you at the end of your stay. It is so worth it to try to make that.

2. Waffles every morning in the Gingerbread House. Best ever!

3. Sea World. WE ended up spending 10 hours there and could have used another day. It was probably our best day. Take the time to do the dolphin feeding. All 4 kids, age 13, 10, 8 and 3 loved it. (And mom and dad were pretty awestruck with those cute dolphins, too.)

4. GAC card at disney. It's kind of a shame. 12 years ago we took a wish trip with my older son. We felt like royalty. The CMs would see us coming and roll out the red carpet. This time, not so much. We almost always had to show them the card and I always felt we were being looked at suspiciously. (Apparently wish families were selling their GACs and there was lots of abuse, so I think Disney has to watch closer. Sad, but understandable.) Don't be afraid to show it, even at character meets, we were never denied.

5. Make time to spend at GKTW. All of my kids could have stayed there at least two full days. Amberville, the kiddie spa, carousel... they loved it all. As my very wise 13 year old told me, "Mom, we can always go back to disney, but we can never come back to GKTW."

6. Take the time to get to know the volunteers. They are beautiful souls.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Having serious Disney/Wish trip planning withdrawals and love to talk about our awesome week.

Thanks for these tips and reminders. Glad you had a good time!!!

Emma has been sick today. She woke up at 3:45 this morning running a fever. She hasn't moved from the couch all day :( Hate it when she feels bad.

On a lighter note....I went to a baby shower today and my nephew was there for his first and last one he said :rotfl2: He wanted to leave after the finger foods :rotfl: He cracked me up! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

LittleEsmom said:
Emma has been sick today. She woke up at 3:45 this morning running a fever. She hasn't moved from the couch all day :( Hate it when she feels bad.

On a lighter note....I went to a baby shower today and my nephew was there for his first and last one he said :rotfl2: He wanted to leave after the finger foods :rotfl: He cracked me up! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Sorry she's feeling so bad. It's so hard to see our babies sick. I don't think we'll ever get used to it.

Kristy

Kirlinale- Sorry Kira has been through so much :hug: So glad she's going to be able to be a princess on a princess boat. princess: Angel's not a "typical" teen, she still very much loves all things Disney. :) We're in IL also, and Angel's wish was the Fantasy too. What excursion did you pick? Our friend going in June is going the week before you are.
Kira only ever saw the Fantasy on TV - never even understood meaning of a cruise before (but does understand Disney- she is developmentally delayed but after seeing the Ship on TV and then we decided to do the wish process my kids researched it and what drew her to the Fantasy was the BBB and a few other things (Animated placemats etc..) .. It doesn't make a lick of difference to us - we are so thrilled just for the opportunity .. the only upside to the Fantasy was the longer time - this would benefit her since she has adjustment issues and it would allow her to fully enjoy her time - but I think we have a good plan in place - and a follow up few days doing the Parks (Universal and Disney) that she will manage ok on meds and the excitment :cheer2: .

My older kids really wanted the Atlantis Dolphin Swim but when we looked at what was best for ALL of us and Kira's needs especially we opted to not go to Atlantis and instead go to Blue Lagoon Dolphin experience. This required less stress and we booked the early morning (less hot) time. This allows us to come back to the ship Mid/late afternoon and get to enjoy some time doing things on it. I think that would work out best for her and my kids seem to think so too...

For Castaway - We booked the Catamaran Snorkle for my hubby and older kids (I'm going to enjoy some beach time with Kira) and the last time slot of the day we picked the Sting Ray for me and the older kids before we have to get back on the ship...

On Ship day I booked the Palo Brunch for a tiny bit of adult time :cool1: as for everything else we are going to sit back and just let the magic happen how ever it plays out - She is over the top exicted and we are ever so grateful for anything MAW provides for her - With the economy the way it is and how hard we have been hit lately with her health issues we are feeling so blessed to see her have this gift in her life...

After we disembark we are heading to Universal Resort onsite hotel through Sunday (flying back Sunday night) - since we've done both Disney (numerous times) and Universal on past trips we are just going to hop back and forth for a few days just doing the things we love and seeing the new stuff with hopper passes to both - Everything has gotten so expensive we managed to figure out a good plan using discounts and with deal at Universal .. Disney had nothing for 5 people that would even come close to affordable - even with two rooms - plus my big kids are looking forward to the early entry to WWOHP and Kira an early morning breakfast wtih SpongeBob...

Aw man! Sorry she is so sick. That is never good. Every single day I stress if Jacob is getting sick. It is such a big deal if he gets sick and I spend my life trying to avoid that!!

So funny about your nephew!! How old is he?

Ive been having an ok weekend so far. I went to a funeral for my sweet cousins little baby. But other than that its been ok. how was yours?

Dana - Sorry Emma isn't feeling well, hope she feels better very soon. Hugs & prayers.

Kirlinale - Sounds like you've planned a great trip :)

Britney - So sorry about your cousin's baby :hug:

Aw man! Sorry she is so sick. That is never good. Every single day I stress if Jacob is getting sick. It is such a big deal if he gets sick and I spend my life trying to avoid that!!

So funny about your nephew!! How old is he?

Ive been having an ok weekend so far. I went to a funeral for my sweet cousins little baby. But other than that its been ok. how was yours?

My nephew is 10.
So sorry about about your cousin's baby:grouphug:

Thanks Christi and Dana! He was born just too perfect for this world! It makes this Make a Wish trip all that much more special for us! The realization that it could be our family up there next was just too much for me. I just want to make this trip so special for our family. I know you guys all know the same feelings :grouphug:

Kara's port surgery went well! We were home that day and she slept ALOT! We had a wonderful birthday party this weekend for our oldest son who turned 17 :cake: and a party is just what this family needed! Kara was her normal ball of energy and its like she forgot all about having her port! :woohoo:

Kara also recieved Angel mail from an orginization called Chemo Angels, its like a pen pal system where two people volunteer to send her cards and little things from time to time and gives her the chance to write them back and color them pictures (she loves to color). Kara loves this and loves getting mail even if its something small! It brightens her day to see her name on mail:lovestruc

We are now waiting for the next step - starting chemo treatments - we are waiting to hear from the doctor :worried:

We have also decided to not test Kara into Kindergarten this year. Her birthday is only 16 days past the cut off but with everything that she has gone through and will go through we think its better to give her another year in Pre - K . Her Pre - K teachers are happy since she has a fun personality!

We haven't heard from her "wish friends" since they were here but I am assuming that since we asked for Sept - Dec dates that they are not in a hurry? I will probaly email them to make sure the paper work is going okay.

I am excited to see everyones dates and Kara and I look at the pictures of all the trips! Keep them coming!:yay:

Sheri - So glad that Kara's surgery went well, and that your family enjoyed celebrating DS's birthday. :) Yay for her Angel mail, I do know how something so simple can make such a difference for our kids. ::yes:: Hope you get dates soon. Praying about the chemo. :hug:

We are going on the June 16th sailing. Kira qualified for a wish years and years ago (she's 11 now) and we were waiting until just the right time to know when making her wish it would be both meaningful and something in her heart she would really want. She lives and breathes Disney (has since her long chemo days as a toddler and carried through all her many ICU and hosptial stays) , We lived in NC during the last 10 years so was able to take quick drives to Disney when we needed a magic boost.. but now with my older being teenagers in HS and Kira's needs - as well as having moved to the Chicago area we can't. Kira was gearing up for a Dr's appointment and saw a segment on the New Fantasy Ship - and said I wish I could be a princess on a boat.. We new then that this was time for her wish.. So it begins.. Since the only boat she had seen was the Fantasy she made her wish for that boat. After talking with MAW we know that our chapter only does the 4/5's and we had no clue about all the cruse stuff . Kira's true wish is to be a princes on a princess boat and that can be met easily on the dream. Our wish granters were wonderful and the process went really quickly once we secured our passports (took about two weeks). At first we were confused about the difference in all the ships - but MAW explained that 'Disney and Cruise' wishes have been packaged in order to provide the best and equal experience to everyone.. We think that is way cool :thumbsup2 of an explaination.. she said the magic is in what surprises and arrangements (enhancements) the wish granters work ... So we are looking forward to sitting back and enjoying that Magic at work.. So are so thrilled to have this opportunity for her - Our room is assigned, our dates and flights done, our excursions booked and our other arrangements are in the works.

She was born with an inoperable brain tumor on her brainstem along with an unrelated and equally frustrating cortical dysplasia on the other side of her brain which is in the process of being evaluated for surgical intevention. The Dysplasia has caused her to have intractible epilepsy. She's failed all med combos , almost placed twice in medical comas and has had many status seizure events (some seizures lasting weeks before stopping) - and has had 1000's upon 1000's of regular daily seizures - Thankfully, currently she is doing pretty well on her current meds and is enjoying life as much as she can.. We are adding days at the end of the cruise - two days at universal and two at disney , both just to see the new stuff as we have been to both places many times but looking forward to seeing harry potter and the new changes in fantasy land.. but most importantly getting to see her be a princess on a princess boat ...

So happy that Kira is getting her wish!

Kara's port surgery went well! We were home that day and she slept ALOT! We had a wonderful birthday party this weekend for our oldest son who turned 17 :cake: and a party is just what this family needed! Kara was her normal ball of energy and its like she forgot all about having her port! :woohoo:

Kara also recieved Angel mail from an orginization called Chemo Angels, its like a pen pal system where two people volunteer to send her cards and little things from time to time and gives her the chance to write them back and color them pictures (she loves to color). Kara loves this and loves getting mail even if its something small! It brightens her day to see her name on mail:lovestruc

We are now waiting for the next step - starting chemo treatments - we are waiting to hear from the doctor :worried:

We have also decided to not test Kara into Kindergarten this year. Her birthday is only 16 days past the cut off but with everything that she has gone through and will go through we think its better to give her another year in Pre - K . Her Pre - K teachers are happy since she has a fun personality!

We haven't heard from her "wish friends" since they were here but I am assuming that since we asked for Sept - Dec dates that they are not in a hurry? I will probaly email them to make sure the paper work is going okay.

I am excited to see everyones dates and Kara and I look at the pictures of all the trips! Keep them coming!:yay:

So glad everything went off without a hitch:banana: All will be in our prayers as chemo starts.:angel:

Kirlinale- Sorry Kira has been through so much :hug: So glad she's going to be able to be a princess on a princess boat. princess: Angel's not a "typical" teen, she still very much loves all things Disney. :) We're in IL also, and Angel's wish was the Fantasy too. What excursion did you pick? Our friend going in June is going the week before you are.
Kira only ever saw the Fantasy on TV - never even understood meaning of a cruise before (but does understand Disney- she is developmentally delayed but after seeing the Ship on TV and then we decided to do the wish process my kids researched it and what drew her to the Fantasy was the BBB and a few other things (Animated placemats etc..) .. It doesn't make a lick of difference to us - we are so thrilled just for the opportunity .. the only upside to the Fantasy was the longer time - this would benefit her since she has adjustment issues and it would allow her to fully enjoy her time - but I think we have a good plan in place - and a follow up few days doing the Parks (Universal and Disney) that she will manage ok on meds and the excitment :cheer2: .

My older kids really wanted the Atlantis Dolphin Swim but when we looked at what was best for ALL of us and Kira's needs especially we opted to not go to Atlantis and instead go to Blue Lagoon Dolphin experience. This required less stress and we booked the early morning (less hot) time. This allows us to come back to the ship Mid/late afternoon and get to enjoy some time doing things on it. I think that would work out best for her and my kids seem to think so too...

For Castaway - We booked the Catamaran Snorkle for my hubby and older kids (I'm going to enjoy some beach time with Kira) and the last time slot of the day we picked the Sting Ray for me and the older kids before we have to get back on the ship...

On Ship day I booked the Palo Brunch for a tiny bit of adult time :cool1: as for everything else we are going to sit back and just let the magic happen how ever it plays out - She is over the top exicted and we are ever so grateful for anything MAW provides for her - With the economy the way it is and how hard we have been hit lately with her health issues we are feeling so blessed to see her have this gift in her life...

After we disembark we are heading to Universal Resort onsite hotel through Sunday (flying back Sunday night) - since we've done both Disney (numerous times) and Universal on past trips we are just going to hop back and forth for a few days just doing the things we love and seeing the new stuff with hopper passes to both - Everything has gotten so expensive we managed to figure out a good plan using discounts and with deal at Universal .. Disney had nothing for 5 people that would even come close to affordable - even with two rooms - plus my big kids are looking forward to the early entry to WWOHP and Kira an early morning breakfast wtih SpongeBob...

Congrats for Kira on getting a wish! We are also going on the Dream. Carter's wish was for a firecracker cruise. We sail on April 7. We just booked our excursions as well. So excited!! I have started making our packing lists and just finished our FE and FE gifts. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Hello everyone!!!

I have not even come close to reading everything on this thread - I am sure that there are a TON of new families out there!

Hello!! :wave2::wave2: I would say "Welcome to the DIS" but I am sure that many of you have been here for quite a while and hopefully feel very welcomed!! :grouphug:

Things are going well for us here...we are just so very busy!

Now that we are almost 5 years from the time we were planning Lauren's wish trip, I think it is time for me to pass the reigns of this thread to someone that has been on their wish trip more recently - so much has changed!

Many, many, many great changes! :)

I am not a Moderator on this board, so I really can't dictate anything at all, but I want to pass on any information I have about how I organized these threads and pass it on to someone that would be interested in organizing the next thread...

If there are any people out there reading this that would be interested in helping with this, please let me know via PM. I am going to try VERY hard to spend some time in the next 7-10 days - hopefully by our Spring Break in mid-March - catching up on all of my PM's, putting links in the Wish Trippers thread and getting this sort of caught up so that someone will have an easier time of getting it transferred over. I think it won't be too terribly hard for someone to just copy what I have continued from the people before me - or you can totally branch off and do something totally different - totally up to you!

I really thought I would get back on the DIS after the case was over - but it has been over 2 months and I have found that I just fill up my time these days helping Lauren with college stuff and working (a lot!).

I love this thread and I love the friendships I have made while spending lots of time on here...but it is time for me to pass the reigns...if anyone is interested, please PM me! :) Thanks!!! :)

Hello everyone!!!

Now that we are almost 5 years from the time we were planning Lauren's wish trip, I think it is time for me to pass the reigns of this thread to someone that has been on their wish trip more recently - so much has changed!
Wow, really??? Five years???? It doesn't seem that long ago! I'll always be thankful for the Dis for introducing you to me!:grouphug:

Hello everyone!!!

I have not even come close to reading everything on this thread - I am sure that there are a TON of new families out there!

Hello!! :wave2::wave2: I would say "Welcome to the DIS" but I am sure that many of you have been here for quite a while and hopefully feel very welcomed!! :grouphug:

Things are going well for us here...we are just so very busy!

Many, many, many great changes! :)

I am not a Moderator on this board, so I really can't dictate anything at all, but I want to pass on any information I have about how I organized these threads and pass it on to someone that would be interested in organizing the next thread...

If there are any people out there reading this that would be interested in helping with this, please let me know via PM. I am going to try VERY hard to spend some time in the next 7-10 days - hopefully by our Spring Break in mid-March - catching up on all of my PM's, putting links in the Wish Trippers thread and getting this sort of caught up so that someone will have an easier time of getting it transferred over. I think it won't be too terribly hard for someone to just copy what I have continued from the people before me - or you can totally branch off and do something totally different - totally up to you!

I really thought I would get back on the DIS after the case was over - but it has been over 2 months and I have found that I just fill up my time these days helping Lauren with college stuff and working (a lot!).

I love this thread and I love the friendships I have made while spending lots of time on here...but it is time for me to pass the reigns...if anyone is interested, please PM me! :) Thanks!!! :)

:wave: I wish I had the time to be able to do it...I am sure someone awesome will step up...hopefully!! You have done a lot of good for this thread. I have spent many MANY hours reading it...so im grateful for all the time you have put into it. :hug:

Maroo~ Thank you so much for all the time and energy you have put into this thread! I know myself and many others really appreciate you! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter