Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just wanted to post since we just arrived home on Saturday from our stay at GKTW. I'll share a few things that I wish I would have known before going.

1. The Mickey greet on Thursday morning was spectacular. It was as though we had him completely to ourselves and our own private photo shoot. The volunteers do a wonderful job of helping you pose for pics with Mickey. He stooped on the floor and played with my daughter that is unable to walk. And GKTW takes pics and gives the CD to you at the end of your stay. It is so worth it to try to make that.

2. Waffles every morning in the Gingerbread House. Best ever!

3. Sea World. WE ended up spending 10 hours there and could have used another day. It was probably our best day. Take the time to do the dolphin feeding. All 4 kids, age 13, 10, 8 and 3 loved it. (And mom and dad were pretty awestruck with those cute dolphins, too.)

4. GAC card at disney. It's kind of a shame. 12 years ago we took a wish trip with my older son. We felt like royalty. The CMs would see us coming and roll out the red carpet. This time, not so much. We almost always had to show them the card and I always felt we were being looked at suspiciously. (Apparently wish families were selling their GACs and there was lots of abuse, so I think Disney has to watch closer. Sad, but understandable.) Don't be afraid to show it, even at character meets, we were never denied.

5. Make time to spend at GKTW. All of my kids could have stayed there at least two full days. Amberville, the kiddie spa, carousel... they loved it all. As my very wise 13 year old told me, "Mom, we can always go back to disney, but we can never come back to GKTW."

6. Take the time to get to know the volunteers. They are beautiful souls.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Having serious Disney/Wish trip planning withdrawals and love to talk about our awesome week.

Thanks for the tips!! Can't wait to hear all about your magical trip!

Jackie

Maddie officially made her wish last night! She gave her "princess crowns" to her Wish Granters and they wore them the whole time. She also wore her Tinkerbell costume "so they'll know that I'm a fairy wish kid." It went really well! Her official wish was to "go to Disney World and be in a parade on Main Street and ride in a car or float." They told us that Disney can definitely happen, but that we would need to contact Disney World ourselves to see about the parade. I can't imagine calling Disney and saying "Hi! My 5 y/o daughter has a wish to be in a parade on Main Street. Can you make that happen?" Who would I even call?!? Her second wish was for a dollhouse "so I don't have to share it with anyone at school." She was crazy excited the whole time, running through the living room with uncontrolled energy. It was pretty great. Due to her heat intolerance and metabolic issues, we are hoping to go somewhere between the end of April and end of May.

Tonight, I will try to link my PTR and put some pictures up on it. Thanks for following our journey!

Hi,

Just wanted to post since we just arrived home on Saturday from our stay at GKTW. I'll share a few things that I wish I would have known before going.

1. The Mickey greet on Thursday morning was spectacular. It was as though we had him completely to ourselves and our own private photo shoot. The volunteers do a wonderful job of helping you pose for pics with Mickey. He stooped on the floor and played with my daughter that is unable to walk. And GKTW takes pics and gives the CD to you at the end of your stay. It is so worth it to try to make that.

2. Waffles every morning in the Gingerbread House. Best ever!

3. Sea World. WE ended up spending 10 hours there and could have used another day. It was probably our best day. Take the time to do the dolphin feeding. All 4 kids, age 13, 10, 8 and 3 loved it. (And mom and dad were pretty awestruck with those cute dolphins, too.)

4. GAC card at disney. It's kind of a shame. 12 years ago we took a wish trip with my older son. We felt like royalty. The CMs would see us coming and roll out the red carpet. This time, not so much. We almost always had to show them the card and I always felt we were being looked at suspiciously. (Apparently wish families were selling their GACs and there was lots of abuse, so I think Disney has to watch closer. Sad, but understandable.) Don't be afraid to show it, even at character meets, we were never denied.

5. Make time to spend at GKTW. All of my kids could have stayed there at least two full days. Amberville, the kiddie spa, carousel... they loved it all. As my very wise 13 year old told me, "Mom, we can always go back to disney, but we can never come back to GKTW."

6. Take the time to get to know the volunteers. They are beautiful souls.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Having serious Disney/Wish trip planning withdrawals and love to talk about our awesome week.

Thanks for all the great tips! We are just starting this journey, so are eager to learn from everyone's experiences.

Maddie officially made her wish last night! She gave her "princess crowns" to her Wish Granters and they wore them the whole time. She also wore her Tinkerbell costume "so they'll know that I'm a fairy wish kid." It went really well! Her official wish was to "go to Disney World and be in a parade on Main Street and ride in a car or float." They told us that Disney can definitely happen, but that we would need to contact Disney World ourselves to see about the parade. I can't imagine calling Disney and saying "Hi! My 5 y/o daughter has a wish to be in a parade on Main Street. Can you make that happen?" Who would I even call?!? Her second wish was for a dollhouse "so I don't have to share it with anyone at school." She was crazy excited the whole time, running through the living room with uncontrolled energy. It was pretty great. Due to her heat intolerance and metabolic issues, we are hoping to go somewhere between the end of April and end of May.

So cute :) Hope you get your dates soon.

Tonight, I will try to link my PTR and put some pictures up on it. Thanks for following our journey!

Hope you get your dates soon!

Jackie

We don't leave until April, but thinking I would like to do something special for our wish grantors. They are so awesome! Anyone have ideas? Would love to hear what you have done or ideas you have. Ours are just awesome and was thinking of giving them something small? I saw someone did shirts saying I grant wishes....super cute, but not sure what size of shirts I would get. Thanks!

We don't leave until April, but thinking I would like to do something special for our wish grantors. They are so awesome! Anyone have ideas? Would love to hear what you have done or ideas you have. Ours are just awesome and was thinking of giving them something small? I saw someone did shirts saying I grant wishes....super cute, but not sure what size of shirts I would get. Thanks!

I kinda thought about doing the same thing. I love the "I grant wishes" idea. I thought about getting them a frame with a picture of Jacob with them in it. Let us know what you decide to do!

Looks like it worked! But how I "name" the PTR in my signature? Right now, it's just a link

YAY I see it!! What you need to do is type something like CLICK HERE. Then highlight that text and click above on those little icons. The one that has a world on it. Put in the URL and then it should make that part you highlighted a link.

Thanks. I might give it a shot with our grocery store. My mom and I make some mean cupcakes, so maybe we could sell those. I'm just not sure if I have the courage to even ask about it.

It's been so long since I visted the Dis.. however, we are gearing up for my Daughters wish trip on the Dream in June.. I saw your post and my heart goes out to you - that has to be frustrating as it's hard enough with blended families this just makes it that more complicated.

Have you checked if Shades of Green via Disney has any options for you? Especially being Military. I've heard of it via other military familes a loooong tie ago so no sure - but that may be a solution for you?

As far as fundraisers go - I know a lot of people use Cafe Press and then sell stuff there for fundraising. I think that might work in your case - possibly give a percentage to a 'Charity' and a percentage to the funds you need???

Nicole

We went the second week in May in 2011, it was 96 degrees everyday, we spent most of our time at the village, it was just to hot in the parks. We are going back for a second trip, we leave tommorow, staying on Disney property, & we will be visiting GKTW.

I hope your daughter & family have a great time, but you might want to consider April or a cooler month, I could not believe how hot it was when we was there, that is why we decided to go in Febuary. My DD did not get to eat at Cinderella's Castle last time, they were booked, we are going to celebrate her 5th birthday with Breakfast at the Castle,

I love the idea of a photo frame - that is great.
I also was thinking of maybe coffee mugs with Jack's photo on it and saying "thanks for making my Wish come true".....or something like that???

Hi,
I am busily planning our MAW trip before our next dr. appt. (Prescott has another upper respiratory infection). Anyway, our check out day of GKTW is a Thursday, but we are extending at our own expense offsite. So we will be in the area that day after checking out. Since we check out that morning are we able to come back and enjoy the Holiday Party that evening and have dinner? What about maybe using the GKTW tickets to visit Legoland or Kennedy Space Center on that Thursday? I'm just trying to plan our departure day and would love for Prescott to see Santa. If not I totally am OK with that, but I just don't know. Do any of you know? Getting excited, 98 days to go!!!

nuts4wdw said:
Hi,
I am busily planning our MAW trip before our next dr. appt. (Prescott has another upper respiratory infection). Anyway, our check out day of GKTW is a Thursday, but we are extending at our own expense offsite. So we will be in the area that day after checking out. Since we check out that morning are we able to come back and enjoy the Holiday Party that evening and have dinner? What about maybe using the GKTW tickets to visit Legoland or Kennedy Space Center on that Thursday? I'm just trying to plan our departure day and would love for Prescott to see Santa. If not I totally am OK with that, but I just don't know. Do any of you know? Getting excited, 98 days to go!!!

Absolutely, you can enjoy the holiday party that night! Once you are a wish family at GKTW you are always welcome to come back and enjoy anything that is going on at the Village.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter