Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About how long does it take to drive from GKTW to the various theme parks?

I was wondering the same thing. I think I have read it's about 20 min to the Magic Kingdom, 25 min to Universal. I was curious how long it was to the actual gate! So from leaving GKTW... to the monorail or tram.. to the gate? I know Universal has a LONG walk (or so I read). Maybe some past trippers can chime in. :)

:smickey:Preston just had his MRI on Monday and we found out what is wrong with his leg hurting so much. His physical therapist broke his leg in the radiated area. They are telling us that it takes twice as long to heal because of radiation, so we are looking at 8-12 months for his broken leg to heal and then another round of physical therapy (we have already had 6 months of physical therapy and have to start over again). He is on crutches now and will be getting a bone stimulator that he has to wear for 6-8 hours a day to speed up the healing of the bone. :smickey:His doctors are still allowing him to go to Disney on the 28th of this month. He will just have to do it in a wheelchair. We have 25 days until departure!

Legoland is getting ready to open just south of Orlando in Winter Haven about a 45 min (guessing) from GTHW on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens. The Orlando Sentinel (www.orlandosentinel.com) has an excellent preview. I don't know if GKTW will be providing discounted or free tickets. You certainly can ask.

the lurker

Legoland is getting ready to open just south of Orlando in Winter Haven about a 45 min (guessing) from GTHW on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens. The Orlando Sentinel (www.orlandosentinel.com) has an excellent preview. I don't know if GKTW will be providing discounted or free tickets. You certainly can ask.

the lurker
MapQuest says 40 miles from GKTW to Legoland and 51 minutes. Being local, and having been to Legoland last month, I would say that the 51 minutes is with no other traffic on the road and all traffic lights green when you come to them. I would say that 1¼ hours would be more likely.

Also, I earlier posted information here about some access at Legoland. After I go to the Annual Passholder's first Preview Day next Monday I will post a lot more information. And Sue has told me she will post a link to my thread in the sticky.

If your child is celebrating a birthday while staying at GKTW, let them know at front desk. They will arrange that the morning of the kid's birthday, a helium balloon and little surprise package is waiting for them on the porch. Inside will be a colouring book, some crayons, a special card from Mayor Clayton and a special birthday button that they are to wear to breakfast (where they will receive a special breakfast and everyone will sing them 'Happy Birthday!') They will also receive a special note to bring to the Castle of Miracles where they will be able to pick out a special present from a giant gift box.

What a great way to celebrate! Makes them feel really special. Normally, they only do it if the child's actual birthday falls during the trip, but for some reason, our MAW rep made special arrangements that we were to celebrate Brooke's birthday on the trip. She turns four on Monday! Yeah!!

That is incredible. Is it for non wish trip kids too? My dd turns 6 while we are there and she would love receiving some special attention!

:smickey:Preston just had his MRI on Monday and we found out what is wrong with his leg hurting so much. His physical therapist broke his leg in the radiated area. They are telling us that it takes twice as long to heal because of radiation, so we are looking at 8-12 months for his broken leg to heal and then another round of physical therapy (we have already had 6 months of physical therapy and have to start over again). He is on crutches now and will be getting a bone stimulator that he has to wear for 6-8 hours a day to speed up the healing of the bone. :smickey:His doctors are still allowing him to go to Disney on the 28th of this month. He will just have to do it in a wheelchair. We have 25 days until departure!

I am so sorry to hear that this happened. Just a quick thought. Ask your doctor about an Exogen Bone Stimulator. It is just as effective as the ones you wear 6-8 hours a day but you only use it for 20 minutes. I truly feel it helped my son's fracture heal.

I am so sorry it has been so long since I posted. Life has just been absolutely crazy. RIght now I am sick and so are 3 of the kids. Hoping that we are all better soon because we leave in 6 days!!! I cannot believe it. I don't know how everything came up so quick Anyway, this is what we are planning.....any thoughts would be appreciated

OCT 9th
ARRIVE at lunchtime
Orientation 7:45pm
Just enjoy GKTW

OCT 10
Magic Kingdom for K Birthday (9am-7pm)
Bibbidi Bobbido Boutique?
MK closes at 7pm, Cake? Back to GKTW to swim?

OCT 11
Hollywood Studios (Open 9am-8pm)
Epcot Open (Open 9am-9pm)

OCT 12
Magic Kingdom- Brendan Sets off Fireworks Day
Epcot in the am.....Open 9am -9pm)
Then Magic Kingdom until close (10pm)

OCT 13
Universal Studios (open from 9am-7pm)
Islands of Adventure (open from 9am-7pm)
GKTW Christmas Party (Definite)

OCT 14
Seaworld - get there at open (open 9-6pm)
Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure (open 9-8)
GKTW Pirate and Princess Party (Possibly)

OCT 15
Breakfast and GKTW Pony Rides if time?
Depart

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what we mus do. My kids are almost 6, 7, 10 and 12) Also, is there anything you wish you would have brought and didn't or brought and didn't use? Thanks so much!!!

I think your itinerary looks great!! You are going to have so much fun! Have you made any special dining reservations? You can do that at Disneyworld.com anytime! We don't have much advice as we are still planning our December trip. Just go with the flow as much as you can and enjoy GKTW.. that is my plan.. but I'm not always so good with the "go with it" part. The only other thing I can think of is to pack to dress in layers and comfort! :) Have a great time!!

So sorry to hear this! :( Praying that his Wish Trip will provide the magic needed for a speedy recovery! Hoping the trip is GREAT for all of you!

Synovial! I'm so sorry! A fracture? :( Healings to your wishtripper!!

Just so everyone knows, there is a minor GKTW entertainment schedule change. Every Monday for the month of October is a Halloween Event instead of Safari Double Dare/Kids Night Out.

Oh! My daughter will be turning 7 on this day...and talked about wanting to eat at Hollywood studios....BUT she said, if there is a party she sure doesn't want to miss it! Thank you very much for the heads up!! :banana:

I used a buxton organizer bag for small things like my camera and water bottles, but a backpack for jackets, sunscreen, extra water, etc.

Thank you for the idea!

I'm not certain. I have a feeling it is for any kid who celebrates a birthday. They'll gladly sing happy birthday at breakfast for the parents, but I don't think dads get balloons! ;)

LOL....ah shucks! ;) I sure hope they do, I hope we can make Sophia feel special on this day, she has been an absoulute fabulous big sister to Gabbie

The wish granters visited us on Saturday night....it was so fun! I'll get some pics loaded up one of these days I promise! So much to do pre trip!

Gabbie and Sophia both have nasty colds on top of it. Chicken soup in the crock'd pot...gotta get'em well!

Thats so cool! Do they only do this for the Wish kid?? Or for other kids?? My son, daughter (non wish kids) will celebrate bdays as well as my husband during our trip.

Lots of great tips! Thanks!

I asking about this today and both of your children who will be celebrating their birthday will be invited to choose a gift from the birthday box on the day of their birthday.

I was wondering because my niece would love to go. Her mother died two years ago and her father isn't in the picture. She has post traumatic stress disorder from her mom passing away. She lives with my in laws but they are disable and they wouldnt be able to take her around the parks. She pretty much would have a horrible time with them if they took her. I feel so bad for her but i dont know if i can ask my wish cordinator if she could come. I wouldnt mind paying for her expenses in february but i am afraid to ask them. She would have to be able to stay with us at GKTW and be on the same air flight. Any advise from anyone. I just feel a horrible and i don't know what to do. I don't want to impose on MAW.:confused3

We brought my wish child's friend with us. Granted her parents and Grandma had to pay for everything( airfare, all theme park tickets, food and spending cash). She did get to stay with us at GKTW. Its pricey but if you are able to do it.. I know she would have a blast. Sounds like she needs that. We just called up our MAW chapter and asked. We just had to fax all her info and a written letter from her parents that it was ok for her to go. As long as you have 7 or less people going... GKTW doesn't mind who comes. Oh.. What we did was have our MAW chapter call us as soon as they made our airline reservation... Her mom called right away to get the same flight.

Joining this thread! Jacob's MAW trip has been approved and we have a date of Feb 23-29th! DH and I went to WDW in 2000 but haven't been back since and our kids have never been. We are all super super excited. Jacob's biggest Wish was for Legoland but he also wants to go to WDW and Universal Studios. I'm overwhelmed by all there is to do. I want this to be a memorable and special trip for him (and his sister too!). He has Leukemia (ALL) and was diagnosed last July. Tomorrow will mark 2 more years left of chemotherapy for him.

Looking forward to reading and learning in the next four months as we plan his trip! I have a feeling I might get addicted to this board. LOL!

Joining this thread! Jacob's MAW trip has been approved and we have a date of Feb 23-29th! DH and I went to WDW in 2000 but haven't been back since and our kids have never been. We are all super super excited. Jacob's biggest Wish was for Legoland but he also wants to go to WDW and Universal Studios. I'm overwhelmed by all there is to do. I want this to be a memorable and special trip for him (and his sister too!). He has Leukemia (ALL) and was diagnosed last July. Tomorrow will mark 2 more years left of chemotherapy for him.

Looking forward to reading and learning in the next four months as we plan his trip! I have a feeling I might get addicted to this board. LOL!

Congrats!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I have a question! :)

You had mentioned that there was a Halloween party planned for Mondays now in October, can you tell me a little bit about that? My daughters 7th bday is that day, and we are for sure going to HS on that day to see Ariel. We were going to eat dinner at HS too, but when Sophia caught wind of me talking about a possible party, she goes, "well, if its my birthday, and there's a party, I should be there!" LOL

Gabbie, in her sweet little self also added, well yeah, if they are having a party, we should go for my sister!

We are all getting way past excited here!

I have a question! :)

You had mentioned that there was a Halloween party planned for Mondays now in October, can you tell me a little bit about that? My daughters 7th bday is that day, and we are for sure going to HS on that day to see Ariel. We were going to eat dinner at HS too, but when Sophia caught wind of me talking about a possible party, she goes, "well, if its my birthday, and there's a party, I should be there!" LOL

Gabbie, in her sweet little self also added, well yeah, if they are having a party, we should go for my sister!

We are all getting way past excited here!

There are four or five different stations with different activities and crafts. I was there last night and my station was cars themed, so we had a sheriff's car, a fire truck, and a race car that kids could learn about and get inside of. There is also lots of trick or treating spots as well. Mayor Clayton and Ms. Merry will be there and all of the volunteers are in costume.

There are four or five different stations with different activities and crafts. I was there last night and my station was cars themed, so we had a sheriff's car, a fire truck, and a race car that kids could learn about and get inside of. There is also lots of trick or treating spots as well. Mayor Clayton and Ms. Merry will be there and all of the volunteers are in costume.

Oh that sounds like fun! I think we'll plan on that for sure then! Thanks for the info.....we're in single digit count down mode! :yay::yay::yay:

Well It has been determined that DeAnna has a 2nd tumor in her nasal cavity. They are removing her nose and the tissue behind it on the 19th of October. ( will post the details on my PTR site for those intersted). However, she is really needing something to focus on over the next two weeks. I let her pick the house rental for the 2nd week we are staying, but anyone have some ideas of videos or websites (other than disney) that we can use as a distraction.

Thanks

Savanna Garrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter