Major fastpasses already gone at 7 am, 60 days out...

I don't know how many current DISers were around and aware back when FP+ was being announced and tested.
We had weeks of back-and-forth discussions on this board about Disney simply moving the "frantic rush"
for booking FPs from being "in-person, day-of" (remember the horrendous lines at Toy Story Mania FP machines every morning?)
to that "rush" basically being transmuted to "60 days in advance on a computer screen."
Just as wild, but instead of just those who chose to brave the physical trek to the FP machines (and those long lines,)
now "everybody" heading to WDW during a given period is attempting to book the most popular FPs
at ALL parks for their entire trip at precisely the same "tick of the (7AM ET) clock."

Many of us then (and still NOW) consider that anxiety to not be much relieved (and often, it can be so much more frustrating.)

"I told you so," takes on a serious and literal meaning regarding the flawed and glitchy FP+ "system."

Having been to WDW before any FPs, and through the many variations of FPs, I believe the current system (even with its flaws) is still better. I like being able to handle FPs on my phone instead of having to find a kiosk somewhere.
While the way Disneyland does it, works for them, I don't believe it would work as well if it had the crowds MK does. Having been to Disneyland, I really don't like the RD run to the FP kiosks.

I don't know how many current DISers were around and aware back when FP+ was being announced and tested.
We had weeks of back-and-forth discussions on this board about Disney simply moving the "frantic rush"
for booking FPs from being "in-person, day-of" (remember the horrendous lines at Toy Story Mania FP machines every morning?)
to that "rush" basically being transmuted to "60 days in advance on a computer screen."
Just as wild, but instead of just those who chose to brave the physical trek to the FP machines (and those long lines,)
now "everybody" heading to WDW during a given period is attempting to book the most popular FPs
at ALL parks for their entire trip at precisely the same "tick of the (7AM ET) clock."

Many of us then (and still NOW) consider that anxiety to not be much relieved (and often, it can be so much more frustrating.)

"I told you so," takes on a serious and literal meaning regarding the flawed and glitchy FP+ "system."
Yep . .they created a system where SOME used it as nice perk to where EVERYBODY is encouraged to use it and you are at a disadvantage if you don't use it.

I mean, I get it .. I am sure WDW uses this info and has a pretty good idea 30 days out of how many people are going to be at park X on any given day (and can staff accordingly (not necessarily for the better of us).

Personally I like not having to do the mad rush to the ticket kiosk (especially now that I have small children). I like knowing that I WILL get on Rides A, B and C with little to no wait and without running from ticket Kiosk to ticket kiosk, but planning this 60 days in advance is a pain.

Though .. if things changed to "day of" the wi-fi and fast pass system would probably crash as everyone standing at the front gates are just nose down in their phones trying to secure fast passes right at 9 am.

No. The length of stay option is still there. You shouldn't be having to do that. Something is not linked properly, or there is a glitch. It would have been more helpful a few days ago, but how many days are left in your trip? If it's many, I would definitely call Disney.
i would call DISNEY. There is a separate prompt I believe to speak to someone who will help you with DISNEY Experience. Good Luck, I called once and they were very helpful!:goodvibes

For the first time ever, I blew it and missed my booking time (4am PST) on Saturday. I realized at 8am and got online. I don't know what pixie dust I had, but I got all of our rides.
FOP/Slinky Dog/Mine Train that were top on our list. I don't have any explanation other than Oct 22 must be a slower week.
Filled in with other favorites around that, and it was as if I saved myself the pain of getting up at 4am. I got the same stuff I would have if I was online at exactly the time reservations opened up.

For the first time ever, I blew it and missed my booking time (4am PST) on Saturday. I realized at 8am and got online. I don't know what pixie dust I had, but I got all of our rides.
FOP/Slinky Dog/Mine Train that were top on our list. I don't have any explanation other than Oct 22 must be a slower week.
Filled in with other favorites around that, and it was as if I saved myself the pain of getting up at 4am. I got the same stuff I would have if I was online at exactly the time reservations opened up.

I’ll be there that week and I did FPs last week. I got FOP for Wed Oct 24 (which was my 60+3) and SDD for Thurs Oct 25 (my 60+4). I ended up dumping SDD after booking DHS EMM.

I will say the full stay booking advantage makes it almost impossible for us to get any popular FPs. We drive in for extended weekends vs long vacations - several multiple 3 day trips throughout the year. Although we always stay onsite, we rarely can get popular FPs like FOP. Availability is long gone before our 60 day window.:(

I just did a check yesterday on the Touring Plans FPP reporter and the FOP was booked completely 68 days out from today. That means onsite people who can book 10 days past the start of their stay are taking every FPP available for that ride. Navi was much better, but only because people have to choose one or the other to FPP. And that's for fall touring, which is typically not as crowded as, say Xmas, Spring break or summer.

I just did a check yesterday on the Touring Plans FPP reporter and the FOP was booked completely 68 days out from today. That means onsite people who can book 10 days past the start of their stay are taking every FPP available for that ride. Navi was much better, but only because people have to choose one or the other to FPP. And that's for fall touring, which is typically not as crowded as, say Xmas, Spring break or summer.

That's the end of October, right? October is now more crowded than summer.

But you can't rely on the touring plans FP at all. It's highly inaccurate.

I don't even know how they would see more than 60 days out.

For what its worth, I just checked the Touring Plans stats for Slinky from yesterday. About a half hour before closing time, the actual standby wait was down to 20 minutes with a posted wait of 45 minutes. There are short lines to be found even without a FP+.

NICE. We will be trying to hit Slinky shortly before close this Saturday. I hope it works out!

I just did a check yesterday on the Touring Plans FPP reporter and the FOP was booked completely 68 days out from today. That means onsite people who can book 10 days past the start of their stay are taking every FPP available for that ride.
a couple days ago I got FOP at 9:40am on Day 60+4. I find it hard to believe it's gone until +8.

My 60 days opened up on Saturday and I was able to book the whole trip of FP+ without issue. The Slinky Dogs did go fast (although I wasn't trying hard for them... I'm going to see if we can get same-day FastPass on the day we hop over to DHS).

Now that I have more confidence in getting same-day FastPass, I am not as stressed about the 60 day mad rush. This is one of the advantages WDW has over Disneyland's MaxPass, which is that MaxPass is fairer to everyone but it's harder to game the system.

I’m thinking maybe im looking at the wrong thing. I just checked touring plans FP availability tool (which I typically find optimistic, but useful) and it’s saying there’s a single fop FP at 61 days, afternoon choices on 62 and 63, and lots of choices 64 days or more.

Yep . .they created a system where SOME used it as nice perk to where EVERYBODY is encouraged to use it and you are at a disadvantage if you don't use it.

I mean, I get it .. I am sure WDW uses this info and has a pretty good idea 30 days out of how many people are going to be at park X on any given day (and can staff accordingly (not necessarily for the better of us).

Personally I like not having to do the mad rush to the ticket kiosk (especially now that I have small children). I like knowing that I WILL get on Rides A, B and C with little to no wait and without running from ticket Kiosk to ticket kiosk, but planning this 60 days in advance is a pain.

Though .. if things changed to "day of" the wi-fi and fast pass system would probably crash as everyone standing at the front gates are just nose down in their phones trying to secure fast passes right at 9 am.
I think if they were to change it to day of the system would have serious issues handling all that traffic everyday. And I personally would not want to have get up early on my vacation every single day to try and fight for fast passes. I think most people prefer the current system even if it isn't perfect.

What's the FP strategy when trying to get those hard-to-find FPs?

Do you make your Fast Passes at 7:00 am starting with the early days in your trip and work up to the last days of your trip (where availability should be more).
OR
Do you start at the back end of your trip to make sure you secure those hard to find ones first at 60+X days. .and then move on to the beginning days of your trip?

What's the FP strategy when trying to get those hard-to-find FPs?

Do you make your Fast Passes at 7:00 am starting with the early days in your trip and work up to the last days of your trip (where availability should be more).
OR
Do you start at the back end of your trip to make sure you secure those hard to find ones first at 60+X days. .and then move on to the beginning days of your trip?

The latter for the hard to get ones. Less competition from those who might have been able to book them ahead of you.

Fall is busier than summer these days. We just got back from WDW yesterday (August), and were able to get Slinky at 60+3.

The latter for the hard to get ones. Less competition from those who might have been able to book them ahead of you.
Okay ..

So right now I am planning DHS at 60+5 to get SDD, but the way the week works out (with Christmas parties dictating when to go to MK), I am planning on AK at 60+2. I have debated switching those around since FOP still seems the hot ticket, but my AK day is a EMH day, so I was hoping to take advantage of that in case we don't get FOP FP. (Though I feel an EMH would make the FOP rush even worse as everyone is going to rush there in a park with limited "ride" attractions.

Okay ..

So right now I am planning DHS at 60+5 to get SDD, but the way the week works out (with Christmas parties dictating when to go to MK), I am planning on AK at 60+2. I have debated switching those around since FOP still seems the hot ticket, but my AK day is a EMH day, so I was hoping to take advantage of that in case we don't get FOP FP. (Though I feel an EMH would make the FOP rush even worse as everyone is going to rush there in a park with limited "ride" attractions.

Granted I'm not going at Christmas and it is just me, but for my upcoming trip, I got FOP for 60+3 around noon on the day my window opened. I was in the air over the Atlantic at 7am Eastern and the plane's wifi was not playing nicely, so I had to wait until we landed in NYC to make my FP+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter