Main Dining Waitlist Really Works!!!

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
I have to admit I was skeptical (and panicked, given we have 3 kids age 6 and under) that we would get main dining considering we booked our summer 2018 cruise somewhat late (90 days out) and only late dining was available. I called and asked to be put on the waitlist as others on this board suggested, checked every day, and am relieved to report we just got switched to main dining today at 79 days to go. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is as worried as I was--they do actually add people off the waitlist, and quite quickly in my case. Hope everyone else in the same boat (nautical pun, tee hee) has the same experience.

I have to admit I was skeptical (and panicked, given we have 3 kids age 6 and under) that we would get main dining considering we booked our summer 2018 cruise somewhat late (90 days out) and only late dining was available. I called and asked to be put on the waitlist as others on this board suggested, checked every day, and am relieved to report we just got switched to main dining today at 79 days to go. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is as worried as I was--they do actually add people off the waitlist, and quite quickly in my case. Hope everyone else in the same boat (nautical pun, tee hee) has the same experience.
Of our 12 DCL cruises we've been on the wait list 7 times. Every time it came through.

We are 2 for 2 for wait list also. First time we booked 2.5 weeks out for a July cruise and this time 2 months out, also summer. Switched both times with just over a week to go. Every time I called the CM would say "you have a good chance" but if not you can go to guest services; and I'd always wonder what they saw that made them say we had a good chance. With young kids, main seating was really important to us.

Well done it's very hard to get into MAIN, enjoy your cruise.

Something's that bemuse me, is this forum on Main Vs Late appears to be pro Late, however other active forums it's either 50/50 or pro Main.

We know Main gets full, we know Main gets waitlists like this, and cruiers are so happy when they get Main.

Seeing cruisers post going on waitlists makes me wonder is there some tactical posting going on? Encouraging Late, dinner, but booking on Late availability cruises and then hoping for Main?

Interesting.

Last edited:

We booked a year out for our recent May 5 Fantasy and got moved to Main about three months prior. So it took awhile. I’m assuming it was the payment cut off date that did it.

I'm wondering if the number of reservations allotted for Main Dining is set for less than actual seating to ensure that everyone who do book it do get their preference. And once pif date is past, they start working on the table assignment and determine how many seatings are left.

Well done it's very hard to get into MAIN, enjoy your cruise.

Something's that bemuse me, is this forum on Main Vs Late appears to be pro Late, however other active forums it's either 50/50 or pro Main.

We know Main gets full, we know Main gets waitlists like this, and cruiers are so happy when they get Main.

Seeing cruisers post going on waitlists makes me wonder is there some tactical posting going on? Encouraging Late, dinner, but booking on Late availability cruises and then hoping for Main?

Interesting.

Are you implying that people on the boards say that they prefer late dining, even when they don't, so that newer cruisers will choose that leaving more early dining slots available? If people are actually doing that, it's pretty underhanded.

Hello, I'm contemplating our families first Disney Cruise and I was wondering if the dining was included in the price of the cruise?

Unless you do Palo (18+ and an up charge) then yes. Meals are included. Snacks outside the theatre, possibly pub foods from a menu in the bar, and ice cream from the specialty shop on the Dream and Fantasy have an extra charge.

The main dining rooms, buffet, and places at Castaway have meals that are included.

Are you implying that people on the boards say that they prefer late dining, even when they don't, so that newer cruisers will choose that leaving more early dining slots available? If people are actually doing that, it's pretty underhanded.
I've actually noticed this too and wondered myself about the disconnect regarding the enthusiasm for the second dining on the boards and then main always being full... I always take it as that the boards are just trying to be positive about it.... also the boards may be more crowded with older folks with families that don't really need the second dining... but I'm glad aqua pointed this out because I thought it was just me noticing this...

We booked a year out for our recent May 5 Fantasy and got moved to Main about three months prior. So it took awhile. I’m assuming it was the payment cut off date that did it.
The cruises we've been waitlisted on were booked anywhere from 2 months to 8 months out. Our change from late to main seating typically happened about a month out from the cruise, except for one. That one happened 2 days before we boarded.

Our experience with the waitlist was the same as yours. I think being a (politely) squeaky wheel really works in this situation.

I hope you don't mind I stick my nose into your thread, we are going to be first time cruisers (2020) and I see main dining means earlier and I understand with young children waiting until 8pm can be near impossible but when we go, our party will be 2 adults and 3 children whose ages will be 22,18,18 and I am wondering what the positives/negatives might be with our group?

I think I am understanding that late diners see earlier shows while early diners see later shows? Just wondering what people might see as the deciding factor (besides ages of children because I know when my children were younger we were getting ready for bed at 8pm not getting ready for dinner) as to which dining time they desire?

OP, sorry to hijack your thread..I would be more than happy to move my questions somewhere else just thought it kind of fit a little with the way the discussion has trended.

Thanks!

I can't imagine this is happening in any significant way. It would have to be organized to make any difference at all, and even then it would be dubious, at best. Even if it did open up a few spaces in main dining, there's no reason to believe those would then be available to the late-booking schemers, rather than someone who doesn't read these boards or wasn't "taken in".

It's likely just a demographic difference. There are a lot of repeat and frequent cruisers on this forum. Both of those factors often have some impact on typical preferences and habits.

I hope you don't mind I stick my nose into your thread, we are going to be first time cruisers (2020) and I see main dining means earlier and I understand with young children waiting until 8pm can be near impossible but when we go, our party will be 2 adults and 3 children whose ages will be 22,18,18 and I am wondering what the positives/negatives might be with our group?

I think I am understanding that late diners see earlier shows while early diners see later shows? Just wondering what people might see as the deciding factor (besides ages of children because I know when my children were younger we were getting ready for bed at 8pm not getting ready for dinner) as to which dining time they desire?

OP, sorry to hijack your thread..I would be more than happy to move my questions somewhere else just thought it kind of fit a little with the way the discussion has trended.

Thanks!

A lot of it just comes down to personal preference. Arguments in favour of late dining usually include lower crowds (both at dinner itself and at the earlier shows) and less of a rush to get to dinner on time, especially on port days. Aside from young kids, people who are earlier-to-bed types and/or don't like to go to bed on a full stomach usually prefer early dining. Home time zone can also be a factor for some.

At 9 and 12, my kids are no longer so young as to make late dining outright impossible, but for now we still prefer early. When my husband and I were the ages of your kids, we would have much preferred late seating, and would probably still choose late now if we were travelling alone.

Thanks!

Early
You get to see the main show after dinner, which some think is a better order.
For the MDRs that have windows, nice sea views as the sun is still up.
Lots of time to digest before going to bed.
Many more small children.
Feeling rushed to get ready in time for dinner on days with port excursions

Late
Plenty of time for nice pictures before anyone spills food on themselves.
Easier to linger after dinner for coffee or drinks as the dining room does not have to turn over right away
Less small children
Seems to be easier to request a private table
Still feeling full when going to bed

I can't imagine this is happening in any significant way. It would have to be organized to make any difference at all, and even then it would be dubious, at best. Even if it did open up a few spaces in main dining, there's no reason to believe those would then be available to the late-booking schemers, rather than someone who doesn't read these boards or wasn't "taken in".

It's likely just a demographic difference. There are a lot of repeat and frequent cruisers on this forum. Both of those factors often have some impact on typical preferences and habits.

I agree. When we started cruising my children were young and most of our excursions ended before the main dining, so we always chose main dining. When we started cruising outside of the Caribbean/Bahamas, quite a few of our excursion or port times were longer, so we chose second seating. Once we did this, we found it worked much better for our family since the main dining was a bit too early for us.

When we went on our Christmas cruise to Caribbean this past Dec, we didn't have long excursion but we still chose second seating.

I think people choose based on their preference and circumstance. I don't think anyone is scheming. I can't see it making a big difference since there are too many variables involved.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter