͏

Do any of you have experience with using old magicbands? Our bands are about 2 years old and we are staying offsite so we won't be sent new ones for this trip. I know they will work for park entry with the rfid but I am concerned about ride photos and that sort of thing.

Do any of you have experience with using old magicbands? Our bands are about 2 years old and we are staying offsite so we won't be sent new ones for this trip. I know they will work for park entry with the rfid but I am concerned about ride photos and that sort of thing.

FWIW, on a trip last month, one day I used an older Magic Band for the first time at Hollywood Studios. It worked fine for entrance, paying for stuff, and RotR, but I didn’t get my RnR ride photo. I called and they found it for me. I bought the band unused two months ago on eBay but it originally came out exactly two years ago.

So, I added on a couple of extra days to my trip next year. Different resort hotel different booking number. So can I buy a new magicband or will that mess up my order from my booking number 1 at AsMu?

yes, you can buy more MagicBands for your second booking and it won’t affect the first; I just did so on my current trip and now have two sets of MagicBands

folks have noticed the pricing for 2021+ arrivals is now +5 USD compared to 2020 arrivals; not a tremendous change but good to know
Lovely! Will keep an eye out for a special 50th one then.

Last edited:
If your order is all solid colors, then they seem to ship those about 3-4 weeks before your check-in date. If you have at least one premium band, then they will ship about two weeks after the order is submitted.

Without reading through this whole thread, I want to be sure I'm understanding about magic bands. Our trip is scheduled for May, 2021. I know free solid color magic bands are being discontinued for onsite resort guests in 2021. We will need 4 bands. If I go ahead and order 1 premium band now, along with 3 solid color (free) bands, are the solid bands still FREE even though the trip is in 2021? Or would I have to pay for the solid color bands? Will all the bands ship now instead of shipping just before our trip?

Without reading through this whole thread, I want to be sure I'm understanding about magic bands. Our trip is scheduled for May, 2021. I know free solid color magic bands are being discontinued for onsite resort guests in 2021. We will need 4 bands. If I go ahead and order 1 premium band now, along with 3 solid color (free) bands, are the solid bands still FREE even though the trip is in 2021? Or would I have to pay for the solid color bands? Will all the bands ship now instead of shipping just before our trip?

For my July trip, the solid color ones are showing up with the $5.00 (I think) pricetag. You would need to select all at once as in my experience once you select a premium band, they ship within a week or so of the order.

It appears that if you booked your trip prior to Disney announcing in June(?) that complimentary Magic Bands were being discontinued in 2021, then you'll be grandfathered in for free bands, otherwise the plain colored bands will be $5 each. In either case, when you order them, the system will display the appropriate cost ($0 or $5). If you order 1 or more premium bands, all bands, premium and plain, will ship in about a week. If you order only plain bands, they will ship about 28 days before your check in date.

Steve

What happens if you cancel your stay after your MB ship? My MBs are here, but our November trip isn't looking likely.

What happens if you cancel your stay after your MB ship? My MBs are here, but our November trip isn't looking likely.

Nothing.

The bands are yours. They will act just like any and all bands on your MDE account - completely interchangeable and usable on any future trip.

Steve

Nothing.

The bands are yours. They will act just like any and all bands on your MDE account - completely interchangeable and usable on any future trip.

Steve
Thank you. Will that affect our refund? We got the complimentary solid colors, if that matters.

Thank you. Will that affect our refund? We got the complimentary solid colors, if that matters.

Won't affect your room/package refund, since as @nekonekoneko said, the two things are separate. To be clear, though, anything you pay for the bands will not be refunded. Bands are both personalized and linked to your account. They cannot be returned or refunded.

Steve

The Shop Disney site has the limited edition Black Widow band back on their page. Also 2 baby Yoda bands.

They have the Black Widow one on the Shop Disney site, but when you go to check out you get an "out of stock, please select another" message. :(

I haven't personally used an older MagicBand but I've read in several places (Disney websites and elsewhere) that the battery powering the active portion of the MagicBand may be drained within 2-3 years (used for things like the Seven Dwarves Mine Train pictures); anything you touch Mickey to Mickey is the passive portion of the MagicBand so will work indefinitely (until they change technologies) like you mentioned

Welp. I did not know this. I was going to use my old BB8 magicband that I got 3 years ago or so on our upcoming trip. Guess I'll need to get a new one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter