• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magicbands and Split Stays

grumpydad

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I split my Aug vacation from 9 days at SSR to 5 at Kidani Village and 4 at SSR.

I already order and customized the magic bands for SSR, so I asked the
cast member " So now I have to get new bands for AK ?"

He replied only if I want to, the bands can be used for both.

Is this correct? :confused3

I remember reading some posts that people got two sets of bands and they had to link each reservation to each set.

I went to WDW last October with 3 bands - one for my AP, one for my BWV stay and one for my AKV stay. I used just one. MyDisneyExperience.com knew about all three because I linked my AP and both reservations to it. That was all I had to do.

I'm 99.99% positive that any one of those three bands would, at any point in the trip, have worked just fine. I ended up just using one because it was already out. I used it to get into my room at both resorts and to get into the parks. The only reason I didn't use it to charge to the room was because I was trying something different and only used cash.

MBs identify you as you. Nothing more. Nothing less. EVERYTHING else is in the system and is looked up at the time it's needed.

You can leave the second set at home. We do it all the time. I've got sets that have never been out of the box. We're just collecting complete color sets. :rotfl2:

Until the battery dies, you will technically never need any MB except the first one you ever received. Disney has just decided that the marketing associated with continually sending them out is worth the expense. They don't care. We pay for them indirectly anyway.

If you have a second set you can bring them with you just in case you lose one. Then you wouldn't have to buy one to replace it while you are there.

I had a split stay last May - VGF (DVC) and WL (non-DVC) and used the same band for both. I have several different colors and preferred to keep wearing my pink one.

While we're on the MB topic, how do I get a DVC slider? Will it come in my next box of MBs for Aprils trip since it will be my first as a member? Thanks!

We had a split stay and got two sets of MBs. But we used the first set the whole time. DVC slider is in box with bands, they fall down in the hole sometimes also. So look under the band if u don't see it.

Initially thought that I would only use 1 set of MB even thought we had 2...
Ordered "red and green" for me and used them both since we were there in Dec.
Definitely look UNDER the MB for the DVC sliders...LOVED this tip as I would not have known to look there!
ENJOY!:thumbsup2

You won't have a problem with the MBs, but you'll likely run into issues when checking into the 2nd/3rd resort. And if you have DDP on any/all, it may run into issues.

Our last split stay was May 2014 with DDP. I went to "check out" at resort #1. Got to resort #2, they said I wasn't checked out of #1. They took awhile, had to reset my MB and pin. Door only opened for some guests, not all. Went to park, DDP and room charges were not working. Same thing happened with #2 & #3.

My advice is to try and buy something near the check-in desk before heading out to the park without money or cc :)

I think things may be better now. I was there in October of 2014 and would not have "checked out" of the first resort at all. I did ask Bell Services to move my luggage but I just walked out of the resort as I knew, as a DVC member, the room had been paid for. I remember the computer being a bit touchy on my second resort check-in but only to the extent that I had to put the band to the reader a couple of times. Nothing that took more than an extra 60 seconds, if that much.

I would suspect that by August the OP *should* find very few issues with the MagicBands. There's no guarantee on anything, of course, from weather to measles outbreaks to computer issues! ;)

We have only had 1 previous trip with the MB's and there was no DVC slider. What is this? Is this something new? Is it purely decorative or does it DO something for you (ie identify you as eligible for discounts etc)? :confused3

It's totally just a decoration. Nobody noticed mine and it wouldn't have been accepted for any sort of verification purposes.

Next time you get MagicBands for your trip, look closely in the box. I don't know that they will continue to send these sliders, but it's small and easily overlooked - and *not* on the band itself when the package gets sent to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter