MagicBand

Q-man said:
How do they verify the correct person is wearing the RFID on entry? I assume they've got a verification procedure but invisible unlike the present biometric finger scan?

There are biometric finger scans at the RFID entry pokes.

There are biometric finger scans at the RFID entry pokes.

I hadn't seen a closeup picture to see the finger scanner. So, the RFiD entrance isn't much faster than scanning a ticket?

EDIT: Never mind. I see were there are 3 or 4 of the RFid scanners in place of every turnstile.

img_6435.jpg

So I personally am excited for the change, I know it made it a million times easier to use the RF room key this past trip, and am excited to see what all will come with the MyMagic+ and hope I get to use a Magic Band in December!

I am just getting caught up on the RFID thing. Saw a pic on a different thread of a kid wearing a rubber bracelet. So is WDW already using this? I am not concerned about my privacy. They can know what I eat, what attractions I ride, when I stop to use the bathroom, I don't care. What I don't like is the thought of having to be connected to technology in order to enjoy the theme parks. When we go to WDW now, we hardly look at our cell phones (we never bring both into the parks but have started bringing one although not eagerly). We don't have smart phones and don't want them. Besides that, I really don't want to plan 6 months in advance the exact day and time I plan to ride Space Mountain! It sounds just awful to me. The ADR business is just out of control, and when we get to WDW, what we want to eat is often very different from where our schedule says we have to eat. It's just food, so I can handle it. But to take the spontaneity out of experiencing my favorite attractions actually makes me pretty crazy. I doubt Walt would approve of this. I understand the goal is to use the most advanced technology available, but I am very skeptical about how this will work out. I seriously don't want to book my attractions in advance or find that I am a step behind 40,000 other people at realizing an attraction has a low wait time, simply because I wasn't online on my smartphone, but instead was enjoying the parks and my time with my family. This says nothing of what this will do for guests who decide to spontaneously visit the parks or for park novices, who already have a tough time figuring out the best way to "do Disney." Not everyone can plan for months in advance, and many people don't want to. The planners out there already plan, have the touring plan itinerary in their pockets and know all the secrets. Ok enough of my rant. I hope they do a trial of this and it fails.

Quick walks through turnstyles versus ticket taking, fine with me. The rest of it, not so much.

I am just getting caught up on the RFID thing. Saw a pic on a different thread of a kid wearing a rubber bracelet. So is WDW already using this? I am not concerned about my privacy. They can know what I eat, what attractions I ride, when I stop to use the bathroom, I don't care. What I don't like is the thought of having to be connected to technology in order to enjoy the theme parks. When we go to WDW now, we hardly look at our cell phones (we never bring both into the parks but have started bringing one although not eagerly). We don't have smart phones and don't want them. Besides that, I really don't want to plan 6 months in advance the exact day and time I plan to ride Space Mountain! It sounds just awful to me. The ADR business is just out of control, and when we get to WDW, what we want to eat is often very different from where our schedule says we have to eat. It's just food, so I can handle it. But to take the spontaneity out of experiencing my favorite attractions actually makes me pretty crazy. I doubt Walt would approve of this. I understand the goal is to use the most advanced technology available, but I am very skeptical about how this will work out. I seriously don't want to book my attractions in advance or find that I am a step behind 40,000 other people at realizing an attraction has a low wait time, simply because I wasn't online on my smartphone, but instead was enjoying the parks and my time with my family. This says nothing of what this will do for guests who decide to spontaneously visit the parks or for park novices, who already have a tough time figuring out the best way to "do Disney." Not everyone can plan for months in advance, and many people don't want to. The planners out there already plan, have the touring plan itinerary in their pockets and know all the secrets. Ok enough of my rant. I hope they do a trial of this and it fails.

Quick walks through turnstyles versus ticket taking, fine with me. The rest of it, not so much.

No worries, DLFan123, you'll be able to use the MagicBand as simply as the current Key To The World cards. As basic room key, park tickets, and room charge!

No worries, DLFan123, you'll be able to use the MagicBand as simply as the current Key To The World cards. As basic room key, park tickets, and room charge!

I am starting to chill out a little bit regarding this new technology. However, here is another concern I have. We were Premier passholders last year, and plan to be this year. We have the current Premium DL pass (but we live in Colorado). When we arrive at WDW in May, we plan to upgrade to the Premier pass (the price difference is $200 more than what we have already paid for our Premier pass). So if they roll out the FP+ prior to our trip, it seems to me we won't be able to register for FP+ attractions prior to our arrival at WDW, since we won't actually have our park tickets (ie Premier pass) until then. Does anybody know how WDW might handle this? It doesn't seem fair, especially since it is impossible to upgrade our Premium pass to a Premier pass until we arrive. (You must purchase or upgrade to the Premier pass at a Guest Relations ticket window and cannot do it over the phone, via mail, or on the internet-I have no idea why the Disney parks handle it this way!)

I'd imagine "mall-like" kiosks, with the Disney flavor

To me, if this is indeed what Disney has planned, is just another line I'd have to stand on. I know many are onboard with the magic band, but I cannot be until I see exactly how this all plays out. So far, I don't see this to be a "plus" for my family.

I love most everything about the magic bands and next gen technology except for FPP. The current FP system wasn't broken . . . why try to fix it? Plus in one day you can easily get up to 6 FPs to use, but it looks like they're only looking at 3-4 per day, which is disappointing. Of course, all it'll do is change the way that we plan, and for us good planners, we can esily find our way around these changes. :) I also don't like the emphasis on smart phones when not everyone has a smart phone. A lot of people save up for years for a disney trip and don't spend any extra on smart phones or things like that. I feel like it'll also create some sort of hierarchy among the guests - those with MyMagic+ and those without. I've never liked the whole ADR system of 180 days out because there's really only a certain group of people that like planning things out that far in advance, and it's pretty frustrating for those that don't. There's an even smaller group of people that wants to plan out their rides this early! Everything you need put into one wristband that you just tap for everything seems really really cool though. Too bad FPP has to come with it, though.

RachelInWonderland said:
I love most everything about the magic bands and next gen technology except for FPP. The current FP system wasn't broken . . . why try to fix it? Plus in one day you can easily get up to 6 FPs to use, but it looks like they're only looking at 3-4 per day, which is disappointing. Of course, all it'll do is change the way that we plan, and for us good planners, we can esily find our way around these changes. :) I also don't like the emphasis on smart phones when not everyone has a smart phone. A lot of people save up for years for a disney trip and don't spend any extra on smart phones or things like that. I feel like it'll also create some sort of hierarchy among the guests - those with MyMagic+ and those without. I've never liked the whole ADR system of 180 days out because there's really only a certain group of people that like planning things out that far in advance, and it's pretty frustrating for those that don't. There's an even smaller group of people that wants to plan out their rides this early! Everything you need put into one wristband that you just tap for everything seems really really cool though. Too bad FPP has to come with it, though.

4 FP freebies. Bet you can get more ..... For a small fee

Eventually they are going to phase out normal tickets (apparently this is a rumor by management) the magicband gets you more fast passes. The higher up resort you are staying at the more fast passes you get, which I think isn't that fair.

It does open the door for selling based on FP usage. Some of the scenarios crossing my mind, are if you stay in a pirate themed room at the CBR, you get an extra FP to pirates of the caribbean. Staying the cars suites and get extra fp to what ever Cars attractions show up(if it happens). Basically get bonus FP access based on where you stay, so every resort gets its unique selling point.
Same could be done for the FP for lunch reservations.
You could even do special reservation packages, instead of free dining, you could get a fast pass package. Basically you can use the tech to give guests incentive to use less popular amenities by rewarding them with additional fp.
You can package this stuff a million different ways.

I think the ultimate goal is to maximize usage. The more people you can cram into the parks and make them feel comfortable, the more money you will make. You want consistent, constant lines, so waits are predictable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter