Magicband Issue: Over the Credit Limit?

BrittyRo

DIS Veteran
I just came back from WDW yesterday and on our last night there we were unable to purchase anything on our MB because it kept saying "Over the limit" has this happened to anyone else?
We were at GR and on the phone for 4 hours trying to get it resolved...

That happened to us on our last trip but it was resolved at the store in about 10-15 minutes tops. I guess that was the time it took for the bill to be charged out and the spending limit reset. That stinks it took that much time to sort out at Guest Relations. You probably could have gone back to the resort, cleared at the front desk and return to where ever you were in that time. :(

Yep. We just used a credit card instead. I woukd never have taken that much time to resolve it in any other way. There is a charging limit and if you hit it, then you can't charge anymore until they run the charges on your credit card.

Yep. We just used a credit card instead. I woukd never have taken that much time to resolve it in any other way. There is a charging limit and if you hit it, then you can't charge anymore until they run the charges on your credit card.

We didn't have any cards on us. I don't understand why they didn't just run the card..... They'd been charging it over the course of our stay and when we went in Sept we never had this issue and we were there 2 weeks!!
Something definitely went wrong on their end.
I'll definitely be bringing a card just in case next time, but this definitely RUINED our last day in the park :((

I had this happen to us on our last trip. Depending on which resort you have a "credit limit" on your account that you can charge. I had to call the GF to get my room charges applied to my credit card on file so I would be able to charge again. I think it was $1500 for GF.

We didn't have any cards on us. I don't understand why they didn't just run the card..... They'd been charging it over the course of our stay and when we went in Sept we never had this issue and we were there 2 weeks!!
I'll definitely be bringing a card just in case next time, but this definitely RUINED our last day in the park :((

I didn't see this before my post. So sorry it ruined your last day! Very disappointing!

This happened to us at BBB and I panicked a little but they were super nice & called the hotel for us.

There are set limits on how much can be charged before they have to have you authorize running the existing balance through and resetting the limit. They don't actually charge it to your card until you do that. Value resorts have a $500 limit, moderate is $1,000 and delux is $1,500. They don't want you charging up $5000 and then realize at the end of your trip that you're $4,000 over your credit card limit. You should always bring a cc with you anyway ... Sometimes the MB system is down.
Also - when I stay for a long time - I'll check at the desk if I think I'm anywhere near my limit so I don't have to have phone calls made while I'm trying to buy something. I had to go to the kitchen at Boma to approve charges over the phone to the front desk (I should have stopped at the front desk .... I was staying at Jambo anyway)

This one isn't necessarily a MB issue. As others have said, there is a room charge limit. I hit mine one trip on a late night trip to DTD and didn't have any other payment method with me. I wasn't able to pick up some pins that DD wanted. :guilty:
I had to go to the desk to sign a new charge slip. (I didn't try calling, though.)

This one isn't necessarily a MB issue. As others have said, there is a room charge limit. I hit mine one trip on a late night trip to DTD and didn't have any other payment method with me. I wasn't able to pick up some pins that DD wanted. :guilty:
I had to go to the desk to sign a new charge slip. (I didn't try calling, though.)

I guess this is more common then I thought, because the hotel seemed to act like they've never seen this before...
They had no idea how to "fix it" as they told us.
We will definitely be bringing a CC with us as backup just in case...

You must have gotten a new CM - this is a daily occurrence at every Disney resort.

Wow - which resort were you staying in?
I've reset mine many times and it's always been treated at business as usual...

Last edited:
There are set limits on how much can be charged before they have to have you authorize running the existing balance through and resetting the limit. They don't actually charge it to your card until you do that. Value resorts have a $500 limit, moderate is $1,000 and delux is $1,500. They don't want you charging up $5000 and then realize at the end of your trip that you're $4,000 over your credit card limit. You should always bring a cc with you anyway ... Sometimes the MB system is down.
Also - when I stay for a long time - I'll check at the desk if I think I'm anywhere near my limit so I don't have to have phone calls made while I'm trying to buy something. I had to go to the kitchen at Boma to approve charges over the phone to the front desk (I should have stopped at the front desk .... I was staying at Jambo anyway)

We had this happen to us at BC, but we were at the resort so we went down to the desk and resolved it and it took about 10 minutes. Sorry it ruined your last day :( We always carry a backup card or 2 in case. Especially bc I don't entirely trust the MB system yet (LOL I'm old fashioned that way)

We go down to the front desk every few days just to double check what room charges have been added to our account. We pay with gift cards or reward cards to keep the balance well below the deluxe limit of $1500.

:earsboy: Bill

I usually go to the front desk a couple of times during my trip and ask them to run my card, to make sure this doesn't happen. It is indeed, a very common occurance, that is not a magic band issue.

Wow - which resort were you staying in?
I've eeset mine many times and it's always been treated at business as usual...

We were at POR.
They said everything was resolved every time we called and yet every time we still could't charge. I wish they wouldn't have just told us just to go back to POR it would have been FASTER!
Live and learn i suppose but when we were at Pop in Sept we never had to go to the front desk to have them "run the card" they just did... and we were well over the 500 dollar limit, multiple times...
Same at POR we went over the limit and they ran the card (saw from looking at my charge list). We went over again and that's when we weren't allowed to charge any more...

Guess this is a time when using a Disney Visa is a benefit. You have to have the card with you to get the discounts so we always have that. I've never had to use it due to a MB issue though. Just to get a discount.

I knew about the Resort limit and I always pay that well in advance too. I use Gift Cards to pay on my balance and I don't want it going on the card and then refunding so I pay every few days.

I'm flabbergasted you encountered multiple CMs who had no idea what to do. That seems so odd. I wonder if it was a misunderstanding of your question/issue? Did you ask them how to resolve it if you hit the credit limit on the room? Maybe they thought you meant on your credit card?

I agree with everyone else, it's a common occurance.

I was glad they didn't automatically charge my card when I reached my limit. I had some gift cards I wanted to apply first.

Why are folks so trusting of the Tragic Bands? I posted about my experience a few weeks ago where the entire charging system was down. While I happily handed over my credit card people all around me were stuck not being able to get food/drink etc because the Tragic Band failed again!

Seriously, TAKE A BACKUP PAYMENT METHOD! (Yes I am shouting, but... it's your trip that gets RUINED when the worst IT shop in hospitality has a meltdown... and it's now "if" it will have problems it's "when"

(And I was once over the "limit" when I tried to charge a Diet Coke... first thing I purchased. Back to Front Desk... after 4 tries I gave up, thing never charged on that trip LOL! But the "over the limit" credit card tied to the my room worked just fine, when I called them they said Disney never even got an authorization LOL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter