MagicBand charges?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
Wasn’t sure where to put this, but for me, it’s sort of a budget question, so here goes!

If I link a credit card to the MagicBand for incidentals, will those be charged to the CC in real time at the time of purchase (like if I purchase a Dole Whip with the MB), or will the CC be charged in a lump sum on the day of checkout?

No, it is not charged in real time. There is a charging limit. It used to be $500 for value resorts, $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe, but I’m not sure those are current.
When you hit your limit, it will charge your account.
Even if you don’t hit your limit, it will charge your balance the night before you check out.
You can track your balance on the MDE app.
Also, technically you aren’t linking it to your band-you’re linking it to your room/MDE account.

If you don't want your card charged for everything, like if you want to use gift cards, you can "pay" on your balance during your stay at your resort. The last time I was there I paid off the charges with my disney redemption card plus gift cards and my credit card was not charged at all. I paid on it twice, once in the middle of our trip and again the night before we left.

Remember to deactivate your magic band(s) online on your last day. We checked out of POP and went to Disney Springs to get a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich before we had to get on the Magical Express. We still had our bands on so I tried to pay with it and it worked, but with no pin...it just went through. Since the pin is associated with your hotel stay and we had checked out, the bands still worked without the pin. It was our first time using magic bands and I was caught off guard. I deactivated the bands on mydisneyexperience app. So, if I would have lost one or just tossed it in the garbage in the room when I left, I would have not known somebody could still charge on them. Do they get deactivated in the system once your vacation is ended or do you really have to do what I did and deactivate on the app?

Remember to deactivate your magic band(s) online on your last day. We checked out of POP and went to Disney Springs to get a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich before we had to get on the Magical Express. We still had our bands on so I tried to pay with it and it worked, but with no pin...it just went through. Since the pin is associated with your hotel stay and we had checked out, the bands still worked without the pin. It was our first time using magic bands and I was caught off guard. I deactivated the bands on mydisneyexperience app. So, if I would have lost one or just tossed it in the garbage in the room when I left, I would have not known somebody could still charge on them. Do they get deactivated in the system once your vacation is ended or do you really have to do what I did and deactivate on the app?

I'm not sure when your trip was, as things may have changed. In my last three years of trips (6-10 trips), I can always charge things to the band on the last day, but the pin is still required.

The pin is linked to the account not the stay for at least the last year or two, as I have already had one set up on check in and had to change it.

Charging privileges are limited to length of stay and I believe terminate at midnight on your check out day.

The bands stay "active" if you don't deactivate them as you can reuse them in future trips, but credit card should be limited to the specific stay (someone can't steal the band from your trash and go charge things to your card the weeks later).

I'm not sure when your trip was, as things may have changed. In my last three years of trips (6-10 trips), I can always charge things to the band on the last day, but the pin is still required.

The pin is linked to the account not the stay for at least the last year or two, as I have already had one set up on check in and had to change it.

Charging privileges are limited to length of stay and I believe terminate at midnight on your check out day.

The bands stay "active" if you don't deactivate them as you can reuse them in future trips, but credit card should be limited to the specific stay (someone can't steal the band from your trash and go charge things to your card the weeks later).

Maybe it was a glitch? It was just this past January. I got freaked out at Earl Of Sandwich when I was able to charge without my PIN so that's why I deactivated it. Anyway, how you described it was what I had envisioned, but, for us, the experience was different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter