Magicband availability

Hokie4lyf

Earning My Ears
It's been a few years since our last visit but the magicband availability appears to be a fraction of what it used to be. Are there more options on site or is Disney completely phasing it out at this point?

Are you looking at availability with a resort reservation or just on shopDisney? I think inventory just comes and goes. I've looked under my reservation and there was 30 options one day and 15 a week later, then 24 a week after that. So I think it depends when you look.

It's a resort reservation. Honestly was just hoping for the plain colors as my children want to put their own decorations on them but the only one showing is pink.

They did announce that sometime during the 50th Celebration, they would be releasing a new version called Magic Band+ that has additional features...just speculation, but they could be reducing inventory of the older bands before they release the new model.

It's been a few years since our last visit but the magicband availability appears to be a fraction of what it used to be. Are there more options on site or is Disney completely phasing it out at this point?
Nah, there has never been any plan to phase them out. MagicMobile was introduced to give guests a free option when MagicBands were no longer free for resort guests, but this was mainly a decision to save on shipping costs (and to sell more "premium" bands) than any desire on their part to reduce the number of people with MBs.

They did announce that sometime during the 50th Celebration, they would be releasing a new version called Magic Band+ that has additional features...just speculation, but they could be reducing inventory of the older bands before they release the new model.
MagicBand+ is a new product that will exist alongside MagicBand 2 as a premium (i.e. more expensive) product. MagicBand+ is not replacing MagicBand 2.

The lack of availability is a supply chain issue, that's all.

Last edited:
I've noticed the same...that you can't find the $5 magicbands, and the only inventory are the more expensive ones. They've said in the past that while the small batteries in the magicbands will die out after a couple of years, this will only affect the distance tracking - think of how 7DMT and Haunted Mansion link your photos automagically. The point-to-point transactions at the gates should always work regardless of the battery life since they are just passive RFID.

For those of us too cheap to buy new magicbands and plan on using old ones, does anyone know if MyMagicMobile will send the signal from your phone to link the attraction pictures?

I've noticed the same...that you can't find the $5 magicbands, and the only inventory are the more expensive ones. They've said in the past that while the small batteries in the magicbands will die out after a couple of years, this will only affect the distance tracking - think of how 7DMT and Haunted Mansion link your photos automagically. The point-to-point transactions at the gates should always work regardless of the battery life since they are just passive RFID.

For those of us too cheap to buy new magicbands and plan on using old ones, does anyone know if MyMagicMobile will send the signal from your phone to link the attraction pictures?
Yes, your phone should work.

Screenshot_20220409-112147.png

Try checking in the morning. That's when they restock. We managed to get six plain color bands however we only got 3 different colors due to stock.

Just posted an article this afternoon- Disney is currently experiencing a MagicBand supply chain shortage. You can read it HERE. Also, I post new MagicBands every morning on that thread, if and when they become available, so keep checking. Hopefully they will get more in soon!

We've been laughing about the options because they are so bad. The last few weeks it's mainly been "which resort are you?" Unless it's your birthday or you are a Disney kid/dad.
Worst case a few of us may take an old one and pick something from what we find on site. It's not like having the name printed makes much of a difference.

Is it still an option to purchase magicbands and pick them up at arrival at the Check In Desk? I did this in the past.

Our friends in Orlando picked up us some MBs for our May trip. In the parks a good supply including multiple solid colors (which is what we wanted). Disney Springs World of Disney store had ones as well although not many options.

The solid ones without a resort reservation were $19.99 (plus tax).

ShopDisney has had only like 11 or 12 options for a month or two now.

They may be experiencing chip issues but it does appear they are reallocating availability of MBs. I've heard of people having issues with purchasing in terms of availability with resort reservations but they do seem to have more options compared to trying ShopDisney. In person seems to have a good enough choices (likely the most amount).

Our friends in Orlando sent us these photos, keep in mind inventory can and will change.

World of Disney on 3/18 (friends didn't take photos of solid colors but they did have them)
1649859866615.png
1649859890976.png
1649859909752.png
1649859932464.png

March 25th DHS
1649859987175.png
1649860006855.png
1649860023754.png
1649860041453.png
1649860058684.png
1649860077345.png

Photos continued

Epcot (as far as I know) 3/25
View attachment 662252
View attachment 662253
View attachment 662254
View attachment 662255
View attachment 662256

Sparkles ones (from the previous post) she said were $29.99, certain specialty ones were $34.99, I think some could be more expensive

We opted for solid colors and she bought those on Monday 4/11 at Discovery Trading Company in AK.
Oh my gosh, I wish some of those were available online!

Look like there are so many more options in the parks! If we buy the magic bands at the parks, do we get resort stay or AP discounts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter