Magical Express Travel Time Poll

What is your experience with Magical Express travel time?

• Less than one hour to the resort

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Approximately 1 hour

Votes: 56 42.1%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 2 + hours

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

JARNJ3

DIS Veteran
Just reread a thread on WDW perks & saw quite a number of us chose the WDW transportation as a perk.

Saw some comments that indicated long waits, which has not been our experience at all. Was curious to see what other's experiences were like.

I've only ridden it twice, but both times it was about an hour from airport-resort (once going to Pop! and once to AKL).

But I think it really depends on the time of day you arrive. Many people may be arriving in the late morning, so that could have higher waits. Both times I've arrived around 6ish, and no one was in the bus lines!

I chose other. Once we were standing in the Pop lobby 55 minutes after our ME check in scan, other times it's been between 1-2 hours and a couple times it has been over two hours.

Need to know - what caused more than a 2 hour wait? Did Disney compensate you at all? :)

I don't know about Dansdad, but when it took us more than 2 hours (it was close to 2 1/2) we waited in line to get on the bus, we were among the first ones on the bus and waited until it filled up, we ran into traffic on the highway, and we were the 4th and final resort stop to get off the bus. It was just a matter of having to wait at every step of the process. Other times we had no line, no wait, no traffic, first resort stop.

I would say that it's usually less than an hour, or maybe just at 1 hour. Sometimes there is a little bit of a wait for the bus to fill up and leave too but it's never been that long for me. They seem to do a pretty good job.

I selected 1-2 hours because travel time and total time could vary significantly. Your wait time can be 20-30 minutes and then your actual travel time could be 45 minutes +/- depending on time of day, day of the week and traffic. So I typically plan for 1.5 hours once we reach the check in desk for DME.

Need to know - what caused more than a 2 hour wait?

It wasn't a 2 hour wait, you asked about travel times. Got in line for ME at 9:15AM. Long lines and the bus left at 10:15AM. Arrived at resort #1 at 11:05AM (an accident on the way caused a back up). Left resort #1 at 11:15AM. Arrived at resort #2 at 11:25AM. Left resort #2 at 11:35AM. Arrived at our resort at 11:45AM.

Did Disney compensate you at all? :)

Nope. Didn't ask or expect/want anything.

Last edited:
Over 10 ME trips in the past 2 1/2 years all between the 60-120 mark. Never less, never more

Time varies wildly, but it's always been under 2 hours for us. Once our driver got lost and drove past Coronado twice before giving up and going on to the All Stars, then went to Coronado last. That was the worst. Another time we got right on a bus and went and were at the resort in no time.

Also - I confess - I always think about Magical Express really going to the resort. The route to the airport isn't that magical in my mind :)
It's got to get from the airport to Disney somehow. They may call it Magical express but it's not Magic. ;) Still has to drive on roads and it's still a 30 min drive. No magic in the world can change that.

In speaking with ME they have a target
Their goal is for every bus to depart when it's full or when the first guest has been on board for 30 min
So what time of day you arrive shouldn't have a great impact. One of the major factors is how many stops before your resort and how many bags the guests have

In speaking with ME they have a target
Their goal is for every bus to depart when it's full or when the first guest has been on board for 30 min
So what time of day you arrive shouldn't have a great impact. One of the major factors is how many stops before your resort and how many bags the guests have

This. :thumbsup2

Although one solo trip I arrived around 3:30AM and had the ME all to myself. I felt like a rock star. Well except for the no booze or other wildness.

Why on earth would you expect Disney to compensate you? You waited a bit longer than average for the Free Bus. I truly don't understand this mindset/
I was picturing waiting for the bus to leave for 2 hours. If I were stuck in the airport, not leaving for 2 hours - Disney would hear from me.

If it was a 20 minute wait - then travel time - that added up to 2 hours - then not that big a deal.

We've always been very lucky - at the resort in an hour. Then again - we take the first flight out.

This year - we'll have a new experience - landing around 1 pm - middle of the day. Will be curious to see if our experience is different......

I was picturing waiting for the bus to leave for 2 hours. If I were stuck in the airport, not leaving for 2 hours - Disney would hear from me.

If it was a 20 minute wait - then travel time - that added up to 2 hours - then not that big a deal.

We've always been very lucky - at the resort in an hour. Then again - we take the first flight out.

This year - we'll have a new experience - landing around 1 pm - middle of the day. Will be curious to see if our experience is different......
If I was waiting 2 hours to board a bus I would be asking questions too.
BUT. Disney “ hear from me” is VERY DIFFERENT than Disney “compensating you”. That is what I reacted to. So many folks these days feel entitled to compensation for all sorts of perceived wrongs.
If I misunderstood you then I am sorry.

45 minutes has been the quickest. Maybe 75 minutes on a couple others. Never much of a wait going to the resort.

Did wait almost 1.5 hours at AoA in 2016...ended up hailing a van to take us to MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter